Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)
The gaming related ventilation thread!
Monster Hunter World is coming out ~8 months earlier on PS4 than PC, which makes me sad as a person who will never buy a not Nintendo console ever again.

I got to try out the beta because I have an awesome friend with a PS4, and it's mostly great.

The one thing that stuck out to me is hooooooooooooooly crap the Camera Lock On is ass.

In previous games, the way Lock On worked is that the camera never locked on by itself, but you could tap the Big Monster's icon on the touch screen, Tap L and it'd center on the dude, or just look straight behind you Zelda-Style. It wasn't perfect, but it worked fine and I haven't had any complaints about it for the past 3 entries in the series.

In World, however, they done fucked it up.

First of, there's no way to tap on the touch screen obviously. Which wouldn't really be a problem, if they didn't add the ability to focus your camera on tiny herbivores that never matter. Why would they add this? Nobody who has ever played Monster Hunter has ever said "Oh man I really wish I could specifically focus the camera on that dinosaur cow over in the corner."

This isn't nitpicking or me just getting to close to the dudes either, I'll be 2 feet away from a giant monster's face and the camera will do a fucking 180 turn to focus on the fluffy alpaca a hundred yards away. What the shit is this?

So alright, that sucks, but now let's say I'm in an area with a giant dragon, there are no herbivores around to fuck up the camera's motion sensors, we're good, right?

Nope, because now the camera has patented Play Station 1 Era Auto Lock On!

This means that instead of tapping the button whenever you want the camera to focus on the giant monster, the game Guesses when you want to focus on the giant monster! Badly!

Every ~3 seconds, the camera will shift in a really jarring manner to the monster's hitbox. Problem is, a lot of the time I wanted to get around the guy to smash his face or his tail, so I'd start running around his body from my perspective. Then the genius new technology decides to shift about 120 degrees to where the thing's head is, which is disorienting as shit and causes me to recalculate where I'm going. In a game where you have to make split second decisions on where to dodge and what body part to try and hit while the thing is only vulnerable for a moment, this shit is a nightmare.

I'm praying the full game has an option to just use the old style or that I missed said option in my limited time with the beta.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - by Arjahn - 01-22-2018, 03:05 AM