Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Opinion on Girl Gamers
1) Are you male or female?
Male

2) How often do you play video games?
Every day or nearly every day

2-2) What genre of games do you prefer to play?
Platformers, racing games, selected action games (either 1st person or 3rd person view)

2-3) Within this time, how much of this is spent on online games? (if none, skip to 5)
0 [I only ever played online twice on my life on Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing on the PS3 and even then the internet connection wasn't reliable]

3) Within online games, do you prefer to choose a character based on
your gender, or the opposite gender, and why? (if you only play as male,
skip to question 4)

3-2) When playing as a female, do you use your characters gender to try to get freebies from other players?

4) When playing online games, do you treat female characters differently
to male characters? If so, then why? (anywhere from giving them
freebies to killing them for playing a 'guys game'. This includes being
kinder to new players)

4-2) What is your general response to females in games that try to use their gender or sexuality for items/equipment/money?

4-2) What is your general response to females in games that try to use their gender or sexuality for items/equipment/money?

5) What is your general thought when hearing the term 'Girl Gamer' or 'Gamer Girl'?
Eh.
(Personally I find seperating gender between games to be a bit silly and thought people who say this exact saying is either attention seeking on purpose, gender superiority or not even female [there are some men online pretend to be female and not because he is transgender which is understandable but as a joke] depending on the personality of the person.)

6) How many female gamers do you know? (if 0, skip to question 7)
1 [in the past unless my mum counts that would make it two]

6-2) Of the female gamers you know, including yourself if you are a
girl, what majority are casual gamers? (social games, iphone games, etc)
The person that I did know in the past is obsessed into Pokemon, I mean really obsessed, so obsessed that she care more about Pokemon than anything in the world. If it counts my mum is into puzzle games like Tetris, Columns, Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move and a couple of platformers that are Sonic 1 and Sonic Triple Trouble cause they are the only games she can play, even then she doesn't play every day and rarely plays on games.

7) Do you think that casual gamers are real gamers, or not?

Real gamers are those who 1CC bullet hell shmups.

Seriously depends on what you mean by casual and real gamers. Are the casuals the ones who dabble on the mobile games or the typical COD/FIFA/GTA bunch that can be classed by some people [some diehard RPG/shmup fans] as casual? It can be debated until the ends on time. To me, providing that they play games every so often and more than just the one phone game, a gamer is a gamer. Even though we debate about quality of games (such as many mobile games or the over budget so called AAA FPS games classed as bad), providing that they pick up the controller and press buttons/move analog sticks or do multiple focused touching on a screen is what counts. Then again I don't like the term gamer but rather use player.

8) Do you think there should be a market of games designed for girls only, or should it continue to be a unisex genre?

Unisex is the best way since leaning towards a gender might put off the other genders of playing the game. There have been one gender focused games in the past like the Barbie games that don't sell well and have been mostly developed by male developers [look them up]. Dancing games and puzzle games might be able to attract more female people to play games however many male or other genders play dancing and puzzle games as well so that goes that theory. Also it is even hard to categorise games, you get women play FPS games and not just the tomboy type either.

9) Within games, what is your opinion on the sexualization of female
characters? (from skimpy outfits to constant flirting with males (e.g.
Mass Effect))

I generally play games that don't have sexualisation whatsoever unless looking at a car bumper or a plumber/hedgehog/gorilla/raccoon/bandicoot's ass counts as sexualisation [it probably does to a few people out there...] however usually I don't tend to mind even though something like Dead or Alive Volleyball is a touch uncomfortable for me.

9-2) Using the above as an example, what do you think could be done to fix this?

A majority of games are absolutely fine and don't need to change at all however many of the more pervy type of games seem to come from Japan [even though America and Europe have their fair share too] but that is a case of different culture which is very hard to change. Besides some people like their games pervy and have no problem with that. Actually there needs to be more options and not just customising in games, I mean I don't recall any female gaming character (or even most TV/Movie characters, the ones that I can think of are there just to be a gag like Big Momma) to be a bit overweight/chubby and would actually love to play a game where a female character like that to be the main character. A range of characters from a modelesque design to the more down to earth and also a range of personality in terms of females is lovely, more than just either damsel in distress, scared girl, there to keep focus on the character or badass. Also have there been any women in games to be shown to be pregnant?

Sometimes though a game needs a balance for something that a woman might find sexualised by comparison. Have there been any games that the male character rips his shirt revealing a manly chest or focused on his pecs? [I can't seem to remember at the moment, I know there's Super Macho Man and Disco Kid in Punch-Out but I think that appeals to a different kind of gender]

If a character is designed just so you can look at the breasts [Dead or Alive series applies here] or the panty shot under her skirt, there should be alternate costumes to choose from if it feels uncomfortable.

10) If you have anything else to add, please do so here as it will help the research data.
I think it is better to know why a person likes these games not by their gender but by their personality since there are games from everyone and it is probably more of an understanding of the type of game appealing to people.

Messages In This Thread
Opinion on Girl Gamers - by PheonixGRX - 08-02-2013, 01:05 AM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by BumblebeeCody - 08-02-2013, 05:35 AM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by PheonixGRX - 08-02-2013, 05:43 AM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by Beware of Cuccos - 08-02-2013, 08:36 AM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by Mass Distraction - 08-02-2013, 08:52 AM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by ThisGuyInTheSuit - 08-02-2013, 09:12 AM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by Arjahn - 08-02-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by Psychospacecow - 08-02-2013, 11:05 AM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by gamemaster1991 - 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by Xannidel - 08-02-2013, 01:12 PM
RE: Opinion on Girl Gamers - by CosmykTheDolfyn - 08-02-2013, 01:56 PM