Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Impressive skills you have?
I really wanted to share this. Because I didn't know I could do this until an hour ago and I can only share this with you guys because it's technically an illegal skill.

A friend of mine was locked out of his house. He knows I have a lockpicking set. Can I use it? Nope. I've never used it before. I bought it on a whim.

So he calls me up and is like "Dude, I know you never used that lockpicking set, but if there was every a time to learn, I'm stuck outside of my house and my room mates won't be home until 11:00 tonight." and so I was like "Yeah! Let's do it! No guarantees I'll unlock it though." so we agreed that if I couldn't do it, he'd come to my place until 11:00.

So I get there with my little set, and I start picking away. We looked up a How-To video on his cell phone, and then I kept trying. Finally, 25 minutes pass, and the door clicks open. We both like, freaked out. Jumped, screamed, shout. I called myself a gangster at least four times. "I AM A GOD DAMNED GANGSTER!" Yadda yadda.

Now I actually want to practice with this damned thing and get good with it.
I am good if I say so myself at drawing.
I know how to play Yu-Gi-Oh!
I have a strange attribute to get awesome handmedowns.
I also have a decent knowledge of tech, enough to out do most people, but not enough to out do anyone who actually knows their stuff, and I've never had to study in history, ever.
You kids and your YGO.

Get into MTG so I can play with y'all. D=
If you'd be willing to teach me and there's some free online program then I would gladly. I've wanted to play the game, but I don't know too many people who play it.
Really? Interesting. What's your age, if I may ask? When I was in middle school, YGO was all the rage, but as I got older MTG got WAAAY more popular. At my local hobby shop, MTG is the game of choice, with players outnumbering YGO players 4:1. Friday Night Magic usually has about 30 participants, whereas Saturday Afternoon YGO is roughly 12.

I believe there are free programs. I'll look into it. PM me sometime?

I can teach you how to play anytime, man. Just lemme know. Been playing since I was 14. I'm 21 now. I still regularly go to tournaments and I regularly do quite well.
(10-27-2013, 10:34 PM)Newt Wrote: Really? Interesting. What's your age, if I may ask? When I was in middle school, YGO was all the rage, but as I got older MTG got WAAAY more popular. At my local hobby shop, MTG is the game of choice, with players outnumbering YGO players 4:1. Friday Night Magic usually has about 30 participants, whereas Saturday Afternoon YGO is roughly 12.

I believe there are free programs. I'll look into it. PM me sometime?

I can teach you how to play anytime, man. Just lemme know. Been playing since I was 14. I'm 21 now. I still regularly go to tournaments and I regularly do quite well.

Alright, currently 17.
I can turn invisible when no one is around.
I can throw in crazy trivia/quotes/jokes about almost anything being said at the moment. My friends hate me for that.

Sadly that's like my only skill besides gaming and I mostly suck at that.
(10-27-2013, 08:36 PM)Newt Wrote: So I get there with my little set, and I start picking away. We looked up a How-To video on his cell phone, and then I kept trying. Finally, 25 minutes pass, and the door clicks open. We both like, freaked out. Jumped, screamed, shout. I called myself a gangster at least four times. "I AM A GOD DAMNED GANGSTER!" Yadda yadda.

Damn, you should've filmed yourself shouting "I AM A GOD DAMNED GANSTER!" :D

(10-28-2013, 03:26 AM)retrolinkx Wrote: I can turn invisible when no one is around.

The army could use you. Send you into what appears to be an empty building, if you suddenly appear, it means people are around. Genius !

Now my 'impressive skill' is that I'm a pure bilingual. "Stop inventing words, SERIOUSLY", you all shout at your screens.
Well you get bilingual people ; those who speak two languages to a more or less fluent extent. People's reckoning of what is fluent or not varies, which is why some put a word before "bilingual" in order to differentiate between the various levels.

When I use the term "pure bilingual", I mean that no-one I've ever met in English has guessed that I'm French, and vice-versa.
I can go around the UK, speaking like a Brit and acting like a Brit. For all intents and purposes, I'm 100% culturally British when I'm around other anglophones. Other than my sister, I've only ever met one other similar person, everyone else has had an accent or certain mannerisms that betray their original nationality.
It may not seem like much, but it's pretty damn cool. Also, and it's sad to say, people often treat you differently when they don't think you're foreign. Even if they do it without realising, you can always feel that tiny little change when you tell them you come from abroad.

If I make a video (which may be sooner than you think *suspense*), you'll see what I mean.
The only slightly 'impressive' skill I can think of is that I can read music.
This does not seem over impressive until you meet someone that can't read music. Then it seems to be an amazing thing.
Maybe slightly more impressive is that I learnt to read music before I learnt to read English.
(10-28-2013, 07:24 AM)tigerlily Wrote: The only slightly 'impressive' skill I can think of is that I can read music.
This does not seem over impressive until you meet someone that can't read music. Then it seems to be an amazing thing.
Maybe slightly more impressive is that I learnt to read music before I learnt to read English.

I was always impressed at how my piano teacher could just pick up any piece and play it. Reading music is simple enough on the violin because you usually just have a single note to play at a time, but for the piano... so many fingers at once. I just learn what each hand does and play from memory - never learnt how to spontaneously read piano sheet.

What do you play ?
(10-28-2013, 07:28 AM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote: I was always impressed at how my piano teacher could just pick up any piece and play it. Reading music is simple enough on the violin because you usually just have a single note to play at a time, but for the piano... so many fingers at once. I just learn what each hand does and play from memory - never learnt how to spontaneously read piano sheet.

What do you play ?

Violin and piano. Started playing the violin when I was 3, but haven't really touched it much for the last 10 years.-- tho it's sitting under the stairs in case I ever feel like picking it up.
The piano I started when I was about 5. We've always had a piano in the house until I moved out of my parent's place 2 years ago. My dad's a piano teacher.
I can sight-read really well, but I get bored learning things.

I also have a weird ability to hum or sing tunes or songs and always get them in the correct pitch or key, even if I've not heard that song for months or years. I never knew I did it, but my dad picked up on it a couple of years ago. I've tested myself by finding songs on youtube or wherever just to see if I can do it. It's really creepy.
I use to play piano, but I got tired of it after about 10 years. Reading music was never an issue, but I lack any sense of rhythm whatsoever. The only way any tune sounded recognizable was if I was playing with a metronome to keep the time for me. My sense of timing is just that bad.

I'm quite talented at rollerblading, if I do say so myself, thanks to all the years of practice/abuse.
[Image: Resized.jpg]
(Photo is at least 3-4 years old.)

I'm very good at recognizing what muscles are weakened or shortened in a person just by watching them walk.
(10-28-2013, 07:37 AM)tigerlily Wrote: Violin and piano. Started playing the violin when I was 3, but haven't really touched it much for the last 10 years.-- tho it's sitting under the stairs in case I ever feel like picking it up.
The piano I started when I was about 5. We've always had a piano in the house until I moved out of my parent's place 2 years ago. My dad's a piano teacher.
I can sight-read really well, but I get bored learning things.

I also have a weird ability to hum or sing tunes or songs and always get them in the correct pitch or key, even if I've not heard that song for months or years. I never knew I did it, but my dad picked up on it a couple of years ago. I've tested myself by finding songs on youtube or wherever just to see if I can do it. It's really creepy.

Violin + piano = winning combination. It's a shame you haven't picked up your violin in a while, though. Mine's in the UK so I can only play it when I'm back.

If I remember rightly, the knowing and recalling of the pitch, tune, etc, comes from growing up with music. If you have a musical ear (by nature [such as with absolute pitch] or through nurture), music tends to get encoded deeper in your memory and you can bring it up whenever you want. It's also like when a totally unexpected smell stirs up a memory you hadn't thought of for years, only you can't consciously bring a smell to mind, it has to be triggered. Odour memory is latent, but sound memory can be activated, if that makes sense.

(10-28-2013, 07:47 AM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: Cosmyk's_Mad_Tricks.jpg
(Photo is at least 3-4 years old.)

I remember feeling like such a pro when my parents first got me inline skates.
PS - How/where did you land in your picture and how did you get up there ? You seem to be high up and over flat ground.
Seriously- I can just jump that high... JK!
I jumped off the ramp and landed feet first on concrete. Largest drop I've ever landed on my feet and kept rolling was probably around 13-15 feet in the air. Wears on your knees and ankles after a while.