Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
JRPG's vs WRPG's?
What genre of rpg is your favourite guys? I prefer JRPG's just a bit more due to the abundance of them, and the fact they can always immerse me in a world full of cool characters, but I still love WRPG's for doing the same thing, although there are few I like.

I mean, Fallout can't compare to Skies of Arcadia in my book, but I love them both to death.

What about you guys? Do you like underage panty adventures known as JRPG's, or heterosexual male shooters known as WRPG's?
JRPGs. I don't think I've ever extensively played any WRPG. Actually I don't think I've played any of them to begin with. In any case, one of my favorite gaming genres, SRPG, consists mostly of Japanese games so that's a big influence.

EDIT: I spoke wrongly. I love Epic Battle Fantasy and that's a western made RPG. Still, JRPG ftw. One game against many isn't really gonna change my mind.
I could care less where the game is from. The golden age for jrpg was the ps1. Wrpgs are good now.
Historically, I've gotten my RPG fix from the JRPG likes of Pokemon and Paper Mario, that being said, Fallout 3 is my jam. So my answer is 4.
I have played more JRPGs then WRPGs but I do love me some Fallout: New Vegas from time to time.
Of course Radiata Stories, Final Fantasy 8, Fire Emblem and a few select others are all really awesome.
I don't really like turn-based combat, which is often the case in JRPG, so I'm going to go for WRPG (which I've never thought of as a WRPG to be honest).

That said, visuals tend to be more entertaining and bright in JRPGs so visually, they're better.
I guess I prefer WRPGs, but I have played a lot more JRPGs. I don't really like turn-based combat, and most JRPGs I've played have that.
When I play an RPG, I expect and want turn based combat, and am severely angered when I read that a game is an RPG but DOESN'T HAVE turn-based combat. That being said, I'm a much bigger fan of JRPGs, although I do love Wild Arms, which is a WRPG with a heavy puzzle element. Play it.

Edit: I just realized that WIld Arms is a JRPG... just with a western style motif... D'oh!
No real winner.
Final Fantasy/Tales of vs Fallout/Mass Effect
Comparing good games with other good games.

Then you get those gems of pure brilliance that you can tell are better than the rest such as Xenoblade Chronicles/Ni No Kuni or Bastion/Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines which put all the most obvious titles "louder" to shame and never make a big scene either. The more respectable types of their genre.

Fallout 3 isn't as amazing as everyone says and the Final Fantasy series is generally a huge waste of time.
I'm not a fan of WRPG's. I'll take my JRPG's over them any day.
Really it depends on the story. Most JRPGS have great Story like Thousand Year Door or Chrono Trigger. I've never played much of WRPGS but as long as the story is great, I'll be fine with any RPG.