Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Shin Megami Tensei Related
I saw one person with a Raidou avatar but I'm curious about who else loves this series? Just to clarify the titles that qualify, but are not limited to (I'm just listing some of the more popular ones):

Devil Summoner
Persona
Devil Survivor
Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga
Catherine (Vincent makes a cameo in P3, plus lots of MegaTen fans own it. It's up to you if you want to talk about it or not. It's ridiculous to be so petty over it).

In my case, SMT: Nocturne was my very title in the series. I got it when I was 15 but didn't beat it until much later because it's freaking hard! Random battles every two steps, tricky dungeons and the Labyrinth of Amala is just cruel! Still tons of fun, though, with all the demons you can recruit!

Persona seems to be most popular, and I do like it, but I don't understand the hype. It does have a good story but the game play can get very tedious and you just push the X button in a lot of scenarios. I thought P4 was excellent but Arena didn't grab me like I thought it would. Too much reading instead of fighting and the backgrounds the text is on causes a lot of eye strain.

Digital Devil Saga is really good for newbies. You can switch out attacks at your leisure to fit the combat scenario and you don't need to worry about fusing demons. The story is interesting and so much fun!

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. The Soulless Army is one of my favorite video games ever. It's a bit too short, but the humor and how light hearted it was is a really nice change. Plus, I loved Victor sooo much!

Catherine was such an addicting puzzle game and I was up really late multiple nights in a row to see what was going to happen.

Please chat with me about any of the games! As I said, I just love 'em!
Um. I have P3: FES for PSP but never gotten around to playing it.
(03-17-2013, 03:15 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: Um. I have P3: FES for PSP but never gotten around to playing it.

It's really good! They took everything that sucked about the PS2 version and fixed it. The only thing is Elizabeth's/Theo's quests can be really frustrating because sometimes she wants a rare item that only appears on certain floors in gold chests, and even then it can be impossible to find. Medals from the Gold Hands are annoying as well.
Oh, Nocturne, why were you so difficult? Why did you have to kick my ass every single time I wanted to play?

I played Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzonoha vs King Abbadon. It was pretty damn fun, but was a bit too slow for me to get into it fully.

I'm thinking of getting Overclocked on the 3DS, as well as Shin MegaTen 4 when it comes out. Why is the fourth installment on a handheld instead of a home console, though? Kinda weird, but oh well.

While I enjoy Persona 3 and 4, 3 had a better story, but 4 had the improved gameplay (which was fixed in the PSP version of P3, but I no longer have my PSP because I'm an idiot). I played Persona 1, but I disliked the first person perspective in the dungeon crawling part. Haven't played Persona 2 (either one, there's two Persona 2s, one called Innocent Sin, the other Eternal Punishment. Eternal Punishment takes place in an alternate reality of Innocent Sin, however both are still considered canon in that storyline)

Also, being nitpicky here, but Catherine is not part of the SMT franchise. It's a standalone title.
I've had it for months but not even played it apart fro getting to the station(and instantly download the soundtrack).
Speak of Persona 4, us cray cray Europeans are finally getting Persona 4: Arena

Also, Catherine is a part of Shin Meg- series? Never knew that.
(03-17-2013, 04:50 PM)Ouberry_13 Wrote: Also, being nitpicky here, but Catherine is not part of the SMT franchise. It's a standalone title.

Vincent appears as a cameo in the PSP version of P3. That's why I decided to put it in here, because technically he does appear in an SMT game.
Yea, congrats on finally getting Arena.

And no, Catherine isn't part of the SMT series. I just explained it isn't.

(03-17-2013, 04:53 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 04:50 PM)Ouberry_13 Wrote: Also, being nitpicky here, but Catherine is not part of the SMT franchise. It's a standalone title.

Vincent appears as a cameo in the PSP version of P3. That's why I decided to put it in here, because technically he does appear in an SMT game.

You can't really count cameos. Otherwise, Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne could be considered canon with each other since the MC from Nocturne is the ultimate secret boss of DDS
(03-17-2013, 04:58 PM)Ouberry_13 Wrote: And no, Catherine isn't part of the SMT series. I just explained it isn't.

And I just explained that he appears in Persona 3 for the PSP. Plus, I said "related" in my first post. Catherine has ties to it due to the cameo without being a part of the series.

(03-17-2013, 04:58 PM)Ouberry_13 Wrote: You can't really count cameos. Otherwise, Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne could be considered canon with each other since the MC from Nocturne is the ultimate secret boss of DDS

Umm... Never said the games were cannon with one another and, as I said, I just threw Catherine in there thanks to Vincent's appearance.

You always bring so much grouchiness where it isn't needed.
Well, if you wanna go that far with cameos meaning it ties with the franchise, then DMC is tied into SMT because Dante is a recruitable character in Nocturne.
(03-17-2013, 05:03 PM)Ouberry_13 Wrote: Well, if you wanna go that far with cameos meaning it ties with the franchise, then DMC is tied into SMT because Dante is a recruitable character in Nocturne.

Fine, do whatever you want. Thanks for derailing a thread because you always have to be so damn uppity. During my absence at the old forums I was really hoping you would've disappeared because otherwise everyone else there was awesome.

Catherine was even made by the same team and deals with demons and such. You can totally tell the same folks were behind it and so I thought it would be nice to just loosely include it.
Well, I'm so sorry that you don't like me. Personally, I thought you were alright at first, but if you can't take one not-even-serious argument, then have fun with that.
Yeah. I have Megami Tensei and Megami Tensei II for Famicom, as well as Shin Megami Tensei I and II on SFC, and SMTIII: Nocturne on PS2. I also have Strange Journey on DS. I still need If... for SFC.

I've got Devil Summoner and Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers on the Sega Saturn, all the Persona titles, Digital Devil Saga II PS2, both Raidou games PS2, Devil Survivor OC on 3DS, Devil Survivor 2 on DS.

I really want to get Revelations: the Demon Slayer (AKA Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible) for Game Boy Color and Jack Bros. for Virtual Boy. And obviously I still need to pick up Digital Devil Saga I.

And Catherine, although it is not a Shin Megami Tensei title.

After I got every Castlevania game, I needed a new series to start collecting...
(03-17-2013, 06:36 PM)CzarDragon Wrote: Yeah. I have Megami Tensei and Megami Tensei II for Famicom, as well as Shin Megami Tensei I and II on SFC, and SMTIII: Nocturne on PS2. I also have Strange Journey on DS. I still need If... for SFC.

I've got Devil Summoner and Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers on the Sega Saturn, all the Persona titles, Digital Devil Saga II PS2, both Raidou games PS2, Devil Survivor OC on 3DS, Devil Survivor 2 on DS.

I really want to get Revelations: the Demon Slayer (AKA Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible) for Game Boy Color and Jack Bros. for Virtual Boy. And obviously I still need to pick up Digital Devil Saga I.

And Catherine, although it is not a Shin Megami Tensei title.

After I got every Castlevania game, I needed a new series to start collecting...

How is Overclocked? Like I mentioned, I'm thinking of getting it, but it's nice to hear from an actual person than just a review.
It's great if you like games like Disgaea, Tactics Ogre, or Final Fantasy Tactics. There are multiple endings, different choices in how to spend time each day, and a good fusion system like in most modern MegaTen games. There's even an extra turn system that's similar to press turn. I really liked it when I had not much else to play on the 3DS.

There's a small extra day for the 3DS version. It doesn't have any real 3D effects though. If you already have Survivor it might not be worth it, but if you don't I'd pick this one over the normal DS one.

If you like classic MegaTen games you might look into Soul Hackers when it comes out on 3DS.
^ I hate myself because I got the release dates of Luigi's Mansion 2 and Soul Hackers mixed up. I thought I was going to be able to play Hackers this month ;_;.