Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Things you believed as a kid, but don't anymore.
When I was younger I used to believe that the world was infinitely large. For some reason, I believed that the world was so large that there would be somebody doing the exact same thing as me, with the exact same background, at the exact same time... Maybe in a different language, but same social background, same sort of family, and same appearance.

I think it only really hit me how diverse people are once I began running a site about sprites, because at that point I could see that I was the only person that owned that website, with all those people on it - and now, there's only like, 5/6 sites about sprite rips, and I'm running the #1 spot... I never believed I would travel the world and meet so many amazing people, because I genuinely thought that the world was colossal... I think that this thought I had as a kid has helped me fathom the concept of alternative universes really well, and how there are an infinite number of universes where there assuredly is somebody who looks like me, doing the exact same thing, with the exact same background. It still blows my mind, but it's not something which confuses me at all.

What about you?
I was brought up to believe that 'mum is always right'
For the most part, this is true. My mum is amazing, and generally she is right.
But she's also human, which means sometimes she's wrong. :(
I loved believing that she could fix anything and that I could take her word as gospel.
Growing up really ruins things.
I used to believe that I'd seen all the commercials in the world.
Then, one night, when I was 8, an insomnia attack hit me, I was flicking through channels, and I saw one of those girl's gone wild commercials. I don't want to see every commercial in the world now.
I once thought I was an alien due to the fact that it seemed that no one liked me. I even thought I was the new superman and I tried to use super powers I thought were hidden. I now know better but I have kept my idea of a super hero alive by playing with my niece and nephew and trying to make my own comics with him. BTW, non of you will see them as I really don't like people seeing what I draw.
I used to think there was no such thing as space, and it was just the earth.
For some reason I used to rub my eyes a lot as a kid, so my mother told me one day the eye doctor had told her if I didn't stop my eyes would fall out and that they were loose already. In a panic, I shook my head and asked her if either eye jiggled, and she told me that one of them did. Scared the daylights out of me, but I did stop rubbing my eyes!

This ones a tad hard to explain. There was a drain in the tub that would cause a little bubble to poke out when the water drained. With the way it looked I thought that it was fish peeking an eye through to look at me.

I had a phobia of elevators. I believe that every time I had to ride in one that I would get stuck and die inside of it; would've been nice if my mother had explained that there's buttons and sometimes even phones you can use to talk to help.

I remember when I used to believe cartoon characters on the TV were real so my first visit to Disney World as a very young kid was crushing when I didn't meet the "real" Tigger but a guy walking around in a costume.
I used to believe in ghosts. I used to watch ghost programs on it and be very into the "science(bullshit)" behind it.
That being said, I enjoy ghost stories or videos with atmosphere/scare to them.

I used to believe my toys came alive. (Thanks to Toy Story)

I used to believe in a high deity watching us but it mainly came from religion being used so often at school that I then decided to question what I hear/see that I don't anymore.

I used to believe in most (obviously now stupid) myths/legends and tricks such as: luck/monsters.
I believed that you could phone heaven, since my grandmother died in 2000, and I used to confuse her with my aunt. So when my mother would call my aunt, I used to think it was my grandmother.

I also used to believe that closing my eyes for a second would make daytime come when I was in bed, since I didn't know sleep was a process you did.
(11-09-2013, 01:46 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: I used to believe in ghosts. I used to watch ghost programs on it and be very into the "science(bullshit)" behind it.

Every read these books?:
[Image: front+cover.jpg]

I can't believe all the scary shit my mom let me read when I was kid that didn't phase me, but I'm a total wimp as an adult. I remember when I saw one of the Friday the 13th movies when I was around 10 and I became so freaked out about closets due to a scene where Jason just hung out in one while a lady was home and then just let her leave without killing her for some reason.
(11-09-2013, 01:46 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: I used to believe in ghosts. I used to watch ghost programs on it and be very into the "science(bullshit)" behind it.

[Image: what-are-you-talking-about.jpeg]

I still belive in ghosts but most of the ghost shows on TV are fake and stupid. (Hint: If they keep finding ghosts on every episode and/or they keep calling it an evil ghost/demon *cough* Paranormal State *cough* it's most likely fake.

(11-09-2013, 01:46 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: I used to believe my toys came alive. (Thanks to Toy Story)

I still sorta believe this one. I don't know. May be it has to do with me having so many stuffed animals.
I never really had any weird misconceptions as a kid. It's hard to explain, but I always just knew how things worked from a young age.
Surprised nobody mentioned they stopped believing in Santa. Switching gears for a moment. As a kid. I used to believe that my older brother was a complete genius. It wasn't until the age of 12 when he dropped out of college(twice for that matter). Now I just view him as a complete prick.

(11-09-2013, 01:49 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote:

Every read these books?:
[Image: front+cover.jpg]

I remember reading this. Good times.
I used to beleive I could fly with an umbrella.

It only took one tree, one umbrella, and one painful 20 foot jump. I no longer believe that.
(11-09-2013, 04:14 PM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: I used to beleive I could fly with an umbrella.

It only took one tree, one umbrella, and one painful 20 foot jump. I no longer believe that.

Ive always wanted to try that!

... I guess im not now...
.... Santa Claus

I found about this thread because it used to be on the same page as the "If you had a large plot of land... " one.