Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Which one do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Basic Rerelease
17.65%
3 17.65%
HD Upgrade
35.29%
6 35.29%
Remake
5.88%
1 5.88%
Full Remake
35.29%
6 35.29%
Reimagining
5.88%
1 5.88%
Reboot
0%
0 0%
Demake
0%
0 0%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Rereleases. What do you prefer?
We have lately been getting a whole lot of reboots and HD ports of games, leaving some wanting full remakes and/or fresh starts while others are content with what we get. This actually spun a discussion on another forum that lead me to wondering what people actually prefer.

Basic Rerelease - An upgraded port, a director's cut or an upgraded version that gives us the same game as the original but with additional content not available in the initial release. Examples: Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, Metal Slug X, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

HD Upgrade - An upscaled and smoothed out version of the original that is just a whole lot prettier. Nothing changed, graphically more pleasing. Examples: Resident Evil Revival Selection, Sonic Adventure 2 HD

Remake - A full-body upgrade in latest gen with no added content aside from possible online components and better gameplay. Looks and sounds prettier. Examples: Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Cave Story 3D

Full Remake - A complete remake of the game in latest gen with added content like exculsive story elements, additional game modes and/or upgraded character roster. Examples: Resident Evil Remake, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD, Corpse Party: Blood Covered Repeated Fear

Reimagining - A complete overhaul on the game's story and characters while still retaining the original plot to some extent. Examples: Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Organ Trail

Reboot - A complete rework on the whole series, starting from the ground up. Usually retains basic plot elements, characters and common themes but completely ignores the storyline from previous games. Examples: Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider

Demake - More of a comedic touch but hey, some people like it old. A conversion of a game to an older format, usually replacing 3D graphics with pixel graphics. Examples: Resident Evil (NES), Super Smash Land, Halo 2600
Full/Enhanced Remakes for me. I love Final Fantasy IV DS, P3P and P4: Golden. Metroid Zero Mission is one of the best 2D Metroid games, and it's a full remake of the original Metroid.

When remakes are too close to the original, I start to wonder what the point is.
I still want a proper re-release of Conker's Bad Fur Day. They had it right with the enhanced graphics but Rare are such trolls they even let you know in the beginning they didn't do much with it. A ton of humor was also ruined because it was even more censored, plus some levels were dumbed down.

I'm on the enhanced remake side, but I hate it when things go wrong and they can't get the voice talent back for the addition content. New Teddie on P4 Golden was actually excellent, but new Chie made me want to kick puppies because she was so bad.
Depends. I like remakes of 3D games in the modern era to be re-rendered to take advantage of widescreen display.

I like new content and and performance tweaking like Metal Slug X... and even some complete reimagining like Dracula X Chronicles on PSP which was cool as long as it included the original game. I dislike new content if it's hamfisted, or was developed by a different team and feels like a romhack (ie: the Saturn version of Symphony of the Night's extra levels or FFVI Advance's extra bosses and dungeons).

I like translation fixes in old school JRPG's. I do enjoy upgrades sometimes, like FFIV Complete on PSP but I like that I can toggle between original visuals and arranged soundtrack in some remakes. Halo's remake did that. I liked the rebalanced battle system in FFIV on DS for a sense of new challenge, but to me, going from 2D SNES sprites to N64-style triangluar polygonal bobble heads was blah.

It all needs to be complete and perfect, in a Criterion Classic Collection sense, and everything should be optional or toggled as much as possible.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Ico/SotC is perfect, because Bluepoint starts with the final code sourced from the retail game itself, and not incomplete source that's been collecting dust in the basement of an unappreciative business (Silent Hill 2 & 3) that has no sense of preservation.

Resident Evil RE:Make on Gamecube and Metroid Zero Mission are a testament to the idea of competent, astoundingly good remakes. Conversely, I would prefer a 16 bit demake of FFVII to the interactive Advent Children movie I think everyone else wants.

I suppose I like basic release most, because that's the foundation I want everything built on when it's coming to a new platform.
"Re-releases: So you can have the pleasure of buying that game you already bought and enjoyed, all over again, but this time it's a little prettier and NO, we didn't update anything else."
It is the company's decision. The only thing I'm complaining about is if its not been long enough and it is copy-paste for a high price or not.
@ Hexadecimal
Conkers Bad Fur day on the Xbox?

Basic Rerelease - Super Street Fighter 4 being one of the best out there or DMC3: SE .

HD Upgrade - Sonic Adventure 2 HD, DMC HD collection, (Soon WW HD...I assume), Rayman 3 HD, Sonic Adventure 1 HD, Crazy Taxi, Afterburner and SOOOOO many more on XBLA PSN. (Never talk about Silent Hill HD)

Remake - Street Fighter 3: Third Strike Online Edition IS AMAZING. Kept the gameplay the same but upgraded the graphics with filters or old-school look but a completely new menu, music. AMAZING!

Full Remake - Resident Evil 1 and 3 on GameCube. Frikkin' hell yeah.

Reimagining - Silent Hill Shattered Memories is a perfect example or Resident Evil Chronicles.

Reboot - Devil may Cry being one of the best recent reboots though I haven't played Tomb Raider yet. Looks awesome.

Demake - Can't think of any other than Street Fighter 4: 3D Edition.
The newest Tomb Raider is a perfect example of a reboot done right. That game was just so good, hopefully there'll be a sequel.

(03-20-2013, 08:23 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: Full Remake - Resident Evil 3 on GameCube.

Wat.
(03-20-2013, 08:46 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: The newest Tomb Raider is a perfect example of a reboot done right. That game was just so good, hopefully there'll be a sequel.

(03-20-2013, 08:23 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: Full Remake - Resident Evil 3 on GameCube.

Wat.

Ignore my stupidity.
I prefer a basic re-release. I'm one of those "back in my day" types that doesn't like change, but I don't mind if you add to what I already have :)
(03-20-2013, 08:23 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: @ Hexadecimal
Conkers Bad Fur day on the Xbox?

Yes indeed. Sorry. I was too busy focusing on how unimpressed with it I kinda forgot to name the system ;p
I could honestly care less about HD upgrades. Graphics have never and will never sell a game for me. I'll buy a rerelease if its A) a game I didn't get to play the first time around or B) A game I've played and loved WITH some bonus stuff added. I'm looking forward to the KH rerelease because they're tossing in all of that awesome Final Mix+ stuff that didn't make it out of Japan.
I'm mixed. Cool HD graphics are some more realistic! Oh its the same game and I know everything that happens and I already own a copy. Just depends on if its a good game or not I guess. But if it has some significant addons to it then i'll probably buy it.
(03-20-2013, 10:47 AM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote: I prefer a basic re-release. I'm one of those "back in my day" types that doesn't like change, but I don't mind if you add to what I already have :)

Well, there's always the compromise suggestion.

For example, Halo Combat Evolved's anniversary edition had a mode which enabled the player to switch between the newer hd graphics with all the shiny newness to the classic mid-game if they so desired.
(03-21-2013, 05:00 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote:
(03-20-2013, 10:47 AM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote: I prefer a basic re-release. I'm one of those "back in my day" types that doesn't like change, but I don't mind if you add to what I already have :)

Well, there's always the compromise suggestion.

For example, Halo Combat Evolved's anniversary edition had a mode which enabled the player to switch between the newer hd graphics with all the shiny newness to the classic mid-game if they so desired.

As long as there's some way I can go back to my comfort zone, i'm totally ok with it :)