Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Editing your approved trivia
So along the same lines as my previous thread, would it also be possible to request an edit feature on either my approved trivia or even all trivia in general? I finally had a piece of trivia approved that I submitted a while ago, but have since uncovered more juicy info that I would love to add to it. So far the only way to do edits is to flag it and then possibly explain the changes I would like to see in my trivia. I'm kind of picky when it comes to my personal writing style, so I'd much prefer to edit it myself and then submit it for re-approval.

Likewise, it might be helpful if other users could manually edit other people's trivia and resubmit them for approval. This might help where a piece of trivia has already been submitted by someone else but is severely lacking in content/style, and the original submitter has no intention of returning to the site.

Obviously I would prefer the first option if only one is possible, but both would be nice as well.
I would agree to having a edit button for our own trivia, but not for everyone's. If I could go in and fix everyone's trivia, it would not be fair. In a similar note, if we could edit our own at any time, we may mess it up, but it may also help. It's really up to them if they want to add it in (if it's not too much work or if they feel it would help).
(05-28-2014, 10:30 AM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: I would agree to having a edit button for our own trivia, but not for everyone's. If I could go in and fix everyone's trivia, it would not be fair. In a similar note, if we could edit our own at any time, we may mess it up, but it may also help. It's really up to them if they want to add it in (if it's not too much work or if they feel it would help).

I think the edits would need to be resubmitted for approval before being finalized. That way edits would really have to "count" before people simply changed everything left and right to their liking. It would also prevent people from taking total control over trivia and also ensure that the quality of the trivia wasn't harmed in the process.
Editing and canceling of pending trivia is definitely a feature that will be added at some point soon. Editing or your own or everyone's accepted trivia is absolutely not going to happen though. The purpose of the submission process is to prevent poor quality/false/etc. trivia from making it through and giving people the ability to edit it after the fact completely defeats it, regardless of whether or not the trivia in question was submitted by the editor or someone else.

Site staff already have global edit ability and make changes as necessary. As was pointed out in the first post of this thread, everyone else already has a way to accomplish this goal - the report feature. If you are concerned about the style in which a piece of trivia is written, use the report to rewrite it and state what portion of the report should be copied/pasted. I can't speak for anyone else but I personally love these kinds of reports as long as the edit is well-written.
Also, on the note of reporting, I have never had a report take a long time to be noticed - the changes always seem to be made within a day or two. It's a system that works very well if you use it.
(05-28-2014, 03:00 PM)Petie Wrote: As was pointed out in the first post of this thread, everyone else already has a way to accomplish this goal - the report feature. If you are concerned about the style in which a piece of trivia is written, use the report to rewrite it and state what portion of the report should be copied/pasted. I can't speak for anyone else but I personally love these kinds of reports as long as the edit is well-written.

Ah, well if that's the case then I have no problem using it this way. I thought the flag feature was something else entirely I suppose. You know - bad spelling, wrong fact, etc. But if you don't mind me actually adding to my entries using this method, then I'm fine with that.

What I was originally proposing was basically the same thing, except that you could edit the text directly instead of having to flag it and then tell the mod to copy-paste your work in. Then you could simply re-submit the trivia for approval. Again, I emphasize that a mod would have to re-approve the edited trivia. But if you say that the flag feature is our current method for handling this, then I will start to use that instead.