Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Health and Fitness
Ok, I know this is a weird thread to start on a video game forum... BUT...

What do you guys do for fitness and health?

Example.. vegetarian? Any weird kinds of diets? Anyone looking to lose/gain weight? How are you going about it?

Fitness... any sports you like? Exercise regimes? Walking/cycling?

I myself have always lead a pretty healthy lifestyle. Having horses and riding/competing regularly kind've does that! My weight has fluctuated a lot over the last 3 or 4 years. My biggest being nearly 12 stone and my lightest being a shade above 9 stone.

So I was vegetarian for health reasons until about 3 years ago. Now I eat meat but I try and eat a healthy, balanced diet without too much fat or sugar... But I am sucker for sweet things. I find it really hard to eat only what I need to eat.

Exercise-wise I ride my horse daily for nearly an hour and I walk for about 30 mins a day. I also have an active job in retail. (We're not allowed to sit down, and delivery days mean a lot of lifting and running up and down stairs). I work one, sometimes two days a week on a yard with horses as well. To put it into perspective, I walk about 13,000 steps on an average day, but at the yard I walk over 30,000!

I'm really only starting this thread as weight has always been an 'issue' of mine. I' got to a good size before my wedding last year, but since February I've put on 9lbs!! I've lost 2 of those this week. And I want to lose the other 7 by the time I go to Greece in September. It shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I was just curious if anyone else here was dieting/getting fit/toning up/etc etc. and maybe we could encourage one another. :D
That sounds like more than the recommended dose of exercise ! I'd love to be able to ride a horse daily.

On my end, I eat healthily but happily. I'm not taking the pleasure of eating just to be healthy. That said, it's super-easy to eat happy whilst being healthy (them tasty sweet fruit as an example). I try to avoid pre-made dinners and processed food. Cooking is fun, and taking time out of your day to cook is also great for stress.

Exercise-wise, I usually fence once a week and go for a run three or four times a week. I also walk to campus rather than get the bus. May as well walk and smell the roses ! I'd like to do more cycling to see the area.

All in all, a healthy lifestyle that doesn't get in the way of happiness.
I've got to get myself going, but whenever I plan to, someone needs me.
I'm not the type of guy to eat healthy, but I've started walking a mile a day just to lose weight as well as not eating so much. I love food, but that has made me hungry every couple minutes. If I can keep my snaking to a minimum and keep up the walking, I'll feel a lot better.
I'm nearly a vegetarian. It's not for health or love of animals - I just found meat repulsive. Hamburgers, pepperoni, chicken, etc. taste so bad to me I nearly vomit them out. Maybe that's good for me, I don't know. But I eat a lot of peanut butter to try to make up for lost protein. I love salads with a lot of spinach, I think it tastes heavenly. I also hate all salad dressings and think they are so nasty even the thought of them makes me want to vomit. I usually eat an apple a day also. My tastes are probably the dieter's dream.
I rollerblade or run almost every day. I'm thin enough that you can count my ribs, yet on the BMI charts, I am overweight. Go figure there, I'm blaming muscle mass in my legs for that.
It's funny you'd make this thread, since I'm just now coming home from a gym I signed up for this week. I'd never been to a gym until last Tuesday, and today was my second time going. I was actually even considering making a thread similar to this.

I haven't made a workout schedule yet. I'm scheduled to have an appointment this Tuesday. Until then I kinda just, walk around the gym and pick random machines to use. Today I ran a 12 minute mile, which isn't fast, but I never slowed down. Just stayed at jogging pace the whole time. Trying to go back down to my old 8:50ish mile times. I was never a fast runner, always a long distance runner, due to my tiny height. Then I "biked" for 4-5 miles. I dunno. I was on the bike machine for about 15 minutes before I decided to lift stuff. I didn't know what machines to use so I just picked random stuff until I got tired. Went home after an hour and a half.
Depends on the situation but basically lifting weights and cardio.

It wasn't until Uni(2011) that decided to actually starting doing proper exercise. I've never been unhealthy or even favoured the lifestyle of drinking, smoking, eating sweets/shit food and I've generally always walked or cycled to places but gaining weight is pretty hard. So I decided to go the Uni gym, buy my own weights and really push myself into being a bit more healthier and gain weight.

At the moment it's still the same. I don't go to the Gym but I still do exercise at home. I personally can't do jogging. I find it boring as heck so I only go jogging when I need to get to somewhere. Running for sake of it is just odd to. Same as when I'm at home, I catchup on podcasts while exercising.

...and my bike broke :(
(06-13-2014, 04:02 PM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: I rollerblade or run almost every day. I'm thin enough that you can count my ribs, yet on the BMI charts, I am overweight. Go figure there, I'm blaming muscle mass in my legs for that.

Yeah, you shouldn't listen to BMI that much, it's very reductionist.

Oh, you're short and super-muscly? SO OVERWEIGHT!
Tall and skinny? TOTALLY UNDERWEIGHT!
I finally started taking health and fitness seriously in January 2013. I had always wanted to get in shape but throughout school, lacked the motivation to do so. When a career opportunity came about that required me to be in shape though, I finally had the push I needed to get started.

At my heaviest, I was 205 lb. I'm down to about 168 now and also have a bunch of muscle I never had before. As far as what I actually do, I work out with a trainer in the gym three times per week and then try to run three times per week on off days (though I haven't been running this week to try to give my knee a chance to recover a bit - I must have hurt it at some point because I couldn't do squats with any more than a little weight last time I tried). I'm not a huge fan of the running side of things but I need to get my 1.5 mile time down to 11 minutes before I can continue with the application I submitted. I can currently do it between 11:50 and 12:20 pretty consistently.

Food-wise, I'm eating healthier than I ever have in the past but still enjoy some less healthy stuff now and then. For me, it was really more about portion control than anything else so I use an app that keeps track of what I've eaten in terms of calories which has really helped me stick to normal portions.

And since congratulations were mentioned in the opening of this thread, I'd just like to end this with some praise for all of us and our attempts to live a healthier lifestyle! :D
What the hell did you apply for where you have to run 1.5 miles that quickly?
I eat well, but not always healthy. Obviously, the biggest thing is just to not eat garbage. Drink plenty of water as well as eat plenty of fruits, veggies, and delicious delicious protein.

As for working out, since I was graced with an insane metabolism and an "iron stomach", I focus on muscle and tone. However, while I was really excited to go to the gym and get gains quickly, now I just try to maintain.

I try to hit the gym three days a week, run there and back, leg day, upper body day, and full body day.
When I start feeling bit better I plan trying to exercise a bit more since it'll help with my energy level. However, I actually need to gain some pounds pretty badly. Hopefully now that I'm eating food my body won't reject I can gain the ten that I'm aiming for so I won't look like I just came out of a concentration camp anymore.

I'd really like to ride my bike, get some weights to lift, and play Dance Dance Revolution. Maybe I'll even start bowling again.
I'm 5'7" at 220 lbs. I was 175 lbs in high school and I ran in Track and Field and Cross Country. 12 years later... fortunately, I I've always had a stocky build and people cannot believe I weigh as much as I do.

But, I've started eating less, less sugar and started exercising to the Insanity program and plan on joining a softball league again this fall. Intense stuff.
(06-14-2014, 01:24 PM)Petie Wrote: I finally started taking health and fitness seriously in January 2013. I had always wanted to get in shape but throughout school, lacked the motivation to do so. When a career opportunity came about that required me to be in shape though, I finally had the push I needed to get started.

At my heaviest, I was 205 lb. I'm down to about 168 now and also have a bunch of muscle I never had before. As far as what I actually do, I work out with a trainer in the gym three times per week and then try to run three times per week on off days (though I haven't been running this week to try to give my knee a chance to recover a bit - I must have hurt it at some point because I couldn't do squats with any more than a little weight last time I tried). I'm not a huge fan of the running side of things but I need to get my 1.5 mile time down to 11 minutes before I can continue with the application I submitted. I can currently do it between 11:50 and 12:20 pretty consistently.

Food-wise, I'm eating healthier than I ever have in the past but still enjoy some less healthy stuff now and then. For me, it was really more about portion control than anything else so I use an app that keeps track of what I've eaten in terms of calories which has really helped me stick to normal portions.

And since congratulations were mentioned in the opening of this thread, I'd just like to end this with some praise for all of us and our attempts to live a healthier lifestyle! :D

Here here. I generally find you feel a lot more positive too.
I have heart conditions, so I cant do much of anything at the moment. (Until my surgery next year), and I definitely dont eat healthy. In fact, I have slightly high carbohydrate levels. (Like, .1 or .2 high or something? I dont know.)