Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Possible Zelda Reference in Earthbound
The song for the Shop/Drug Store is called: "Buy Somethin' Will Ya!"
This is a quote spoken buy the Shopkeeper in the original Legend of Zelda for NES:
[Image: buy_something_will_ya.gif]
It's definitely a possibility since both Zelda and Earthbound are Nintendo IP's.
(Also, according to the URL, this is the 1700th forum post made on this site. Hooray!)
I'm not sure where that name is from, but I'm pretty sure the original (at least Japanese name) is "Humoresque of a Little Dog".
(06-17-2014, 05:51 AM)DidYouKnowGaming Wrote: I'm not sure where that name is from, but I'm pretty sure the original (at least Japanese name) is "Humoresque of a Little Dog".

Well that maybe true, but every Earthbound OST on Youtube calls the song "Buy Somethin' Will Ya!"
Heck, if you search "Buy Something Somethin' Will Ya" on Google, the song is the very first thing to pop up.
But I can see your point that it needs more evidence.
Well...
According to Starmen.net, the track's title is "Buy Somethin', Will Ya?".
http://starmen.net/mother2/music/026-%20...%20Ya!.mp3
However, in the CD format of the OST Mother 1+2, the title is named "Humoresque of Little a Dog", which was a Japanese only release.
So, it seems to be named different names based on where it is. But in the American release of Super Smash Bros Brawl, the track is on it and is entitled "Humoresque of a Little Dog".
This would lead me to believe that the original title was indeed "Humoresque of a Little Dog", and that Nintendo of America made the change. It's still possibly a reference, but I personally am skeptical.
My thoughts are that "Buy Somethin' Will Ya!" might be a fan given name. If that's the case, then this isn't note worthy. If however NoA gave the track this name during localization, then it would be a valid reference.
And now you've reminded me of an awesome piece of trivia I stumbled upon years ago. If only I can re-find the source.

"Buy Somethin' Will Ya!" may very well be a fan name. In fact, I strongly suspect it originated from SNESmusic.org, which makes no secret of the fact that they invent titles, as there frequently isn't an official soundtrack or other official track list for SNES games. NOA may have also used it at some point, and may or may have not known it was a fan name. Developers/publishers sometimes just search the internet for information on their own stuff, rather than try to get it from an internal source. We even have an example of that already.
I'm not 100% sure if this counts as evidence, but I also think "Buy Somethin' Will Ya" is a fan given name since the track is called "Humoresque of a Little Dog" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl in every region regardless of the localization.