Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Do you feel you rush a lot of games or take them too slowly?
When you play a game for the first time, how much time do you feel you spend on it, and do you feel satisfied with the amount of time the game gave you?

Like for me, if I'm a fan of a game I'd want to game to be super long, but it doesn't mean I'll try to rush through it, but I won't take my time with it. Like with Pokemon Y I spent around 40 hours on it and I was playing it constantly, I felt I got enough time out of it and it was great.

But for a game like Asscreed 3. I sped through it because I wanted to finish it. It took around 4 days and was very unsatisfying, I more or less forced my way through the entire game so I don't feel like it had enough content.

Then we get to a game like DMC. I forced my way through 1 and 3 to an extent, but it felt pretty long even though I spent around 7 hours or so on the first one, and 20 hours on the third one.

As for being slow at completing a game, Destiny is still a meh game to me and I don't have a lot interest in finishing it as of now.
I am always very, very, very slow. I always want to see EVERYTHING. This is why I don't like games like Skyrim or Fallout. For example, when I play a Phoenix Wright game, I want to see all the failures, I always check if he says something new about a place, I present all the items to the characters etc.

I am crazy about it and hate missing something. If I don't understand something someone says at the end of a mission in a game... I restart.

This is why I don't finish a lot of my games though.
I normally take it slow and easy, unless it's a crazy long game and I'm nearing the ending. Then I rush through too much. I'll never forgive myself for not getting all the demon fusions when I had the chance during one of my SMT: Nocturne play throughs.
I dont know why, but I just like to rush through my games. I like to beat a story to a game because they interest me the most.
I always take my time with every game I play, because I want to experience every little detail it has to offer.
I always rush through. I enjoy it more that way.
What can I say, I'm a speedrunner. But there are some games I took slow and enjoyed it. Like the first two Paper Mario games. I got every item in the first paper Mario actually. Casually without guides. Took over 20 hours. That's a lot of the by my standards.
If I'm doing well, I'll take my time. If I'm not, then I take a step back, calm down, then charge headlong as quickly as possible.
If it's a new game, I take my time to enjoy it, but since I AM a game master, it normally turns into a "one day and done" kinda thing (exept if it's an Assassin's creed game, which take a week to beat). If it's a old game or something I don't enjoy as much (or Sly Cooper) I see how fast I can beat it.
I found myself doing both at the same time with Diablo III when I first played it. On the one hand I wanted to explore every inch of the areas I was in but I also wanted to get to the end. I didn't want to go through yet another dungeon that did nothing but let you grind through, collect loot and gain more experience. That is great if you need to get that extra boost. But if you are in a dungeon you can easily burn through than I'd sooner just get it over with quickly than to just grind through an area.

Some games though I want to get through with quickly, like FF13. When you are told that for the first roughly 25hrs of the game will be spent basically as a tutorial helping you gain a good basic and maybe even mastery of the mechanics and gameplay before you are cut loose to play your own way, then they need to rethink their design layout because that is bullshit. I liked it for the most part but that long to get to a point where you decide then how you wish to proceed in the world, where in all other FF games I've ever played up to that point allowed you to go where ever you wanted, but still telling you where you need to be to move the plot and game forward.
If the game isn't an RPG(for example like sidescroller,beat em up,racing,or shooting), I usually go a bit quicker since some aren't usually quite as complex and hard. I probably spent ages in Mother 3 only because i didn't explore all of areas and mostly avoided enemies.
For me it really depends on how many games I'm getting and when they come out. This year alone I bought Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, and tales of Symphonia Chronicles and beat Xillia 1 twice, the first Symphonia once, started the second Symphonia and beat Xillia once only to start a second game of it, all while playing fire Emblem Awakening, and all within about two months. At the same time, I really plan to, despite how quickly games I'm getting are coming out, to take my time with Fantasy Life because I've heard you can clock hundreds of hours on it and I want to experience all of that. At the same time, it took me a six days to beat Destiny even though I played it a lot and it was a shorter game than most of the other RPG's I've played this year. I will probably also rush through Pokemon and KH HD Remix 2.5. Part of the reason I do this is because I want to review games, but at the same time, I also enjoy games of my favorite genre, RPG's so I tend to play them during a large bit of my free time. I normally don't play as many new games as I'm going to this year, and usually they are of a larger group of genre's, but I really have rushed a lot of games this year, and I enjoyed pretty much every minute of all of them. So to answer the question properly, normally I do not rush games, but lately I have, I don't really lament doing so.
Slowly, usually.

I've racked up nearly 70-80 hours on Dark Souls and still have yet to beat it. Thankfully the slow method tends to find hidden goodies that I'd otherwise miss entirely.
I like to beat games slowly on my first try. On my second try I would try to speed through the game as fast as possible. Nothing feels better than completing a Splinter Cell no alert speed run.
I'll take my time on my first playthrough. The second playthrough is usually: achievement mop up, harder difficulty, speedrun, seeing what I missed or in the case of Persona 4: Golden, going through again because it was that damn good.
I don't think I've ever sped through a game unless I got seriously bored or just wanted to finally see the ending.
I usually tend to rush things when it comes to most games but on rare cases, like with Persona 3 & 4 and any Metal Gear Solid game I take my time because I'm enjoying the game so much I want to admire it and take my time enjoying the game. But with most games these days I tend to rush the games.