Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
The 'What if' gaming thread
We all know that things happen in the video game industry that can make changes to how things are done. So this is the thread dedicated to speculations of 'what if' x didn't leave with Y(e.g if Square stayed with Nintendo for example). So here's how it works. Name what happened in the video game industry(but be serious about it) and explain what would happen if what occurred then didn't happen. Present the different outcome.

Knowing that Square and Nintendo went their separate ways after the SNES was finished. I sort of wondered. What would it be like if Square enix(then Squaresoft) stayed with Nintendo. We would have gotten the true sequel to Super Mario RPG(that would have included elements from the first game like characters that only appeared for that game). Paper mario and Mario and Luigi wouldn't have happened either way. Maybe they would have, but Square would have had a helping hand with it in some way(including references to Mario RPG in the games) Square would have likely developed a game of Zelda or even Metroid(since both games were referenced in Super Mario RPG).

If Nintendo went ahead with allowing Rare to develop Dinosaur Planet the way they intended it as, they would have had a success that would have renewed Rare's contract with Nintendo. Rare wouldn't have been bought by Microsoft. Rare would have had Kameo, Ghoulies, Donkey kong Racing, and Perfect Dark Zero released for the Nintendo gamecube instead of having one of the games scrapped(while the others got reworked into the Xbox console). And we would've had a proper Banjo kazooie sequel made for a Nintendo console and had Conker's Other Bad fur Day for the Wii(alright, this last one may be a bit stretching it, but its a 'what if' theory).

What do you got for 'what ifs' if something in the video game industry didn't occur that we all knew happened but would result into something completely different?
What if Last of Us wasn't made. The world would be a better place since we'd have at least 50% less retarded fanboys drooling over a mediocre game and trying to hype it as the pinnacle of gaming.
What if Nintendo went bankrupt and Sega did not?

Mario games would be seen as over rated junk and would have less fan boys and Sonic would have a "fair" chance to be the best mascot ever. We would also have Zelda on the PlayStation 3, Metriod on Xbox, and we would still not have Shenmue 3.
What if Sony and Nintendo went through with the SNES CD? Would we have seen a merger between two behemoths within the gaming industry?

Could we have seen iconic Sony stars and Nintendo icons clash together? Would we have seen a whole new direction in the gaming industry where Nintendo and Sony triumph over any other industry that dares to compete with them? Would the gaming world be a happier place to live in?
What if violent games were never made and all we had was a barrage of happy-go-lucky games? Violent games would be in illegal circulation most likely and it'd be a crime to own them, like Postal 2 in New Zealand.
What is Sega didn't go bankrupt.

I can't even imagine how good gaming would be.
Something that just occurred to me. If Atari didn't screw up with the gaming console and had put time and effort into the E.T game. Would the console gaming industry be the same if Nintendo didn't pick up the pieces that Atari broke and put the gaming console concept on the map?
What if E.T. on Atari 2600 was never made? I can't even imagine the results since so many things have come out of that failure.
What if Valve had never been created? Imagine how different PC gaming could be.
(09-29-2014, 03:00 PM)RepentantSky Wrote: What if Valve had never been created? Imagine how different PC gaming could be.
PC gaming would be taken seriously as well as online fps games that don't need an endless amount of hat collections to make a game.
What would be joke about if Half-Life 3 actually came out?
(09-29-2014, 01:50 PM)CLXcool Wrote: Something that just occurred to me. If Atari didn't screw up with the gaming console and had put time and effort into the E.T game. Would the console gaming industry be the same if Nintendo didn't pick up the pieces that Atari broke and put the gaming console concept on the map?

Then the crash would've happened a bit later and Nintendo wouldn't have been as big as they are. E.T. was only one of the many reasons for the crash, the fact you had about 20 different consoles to choose from with no difference in any and people were in one way "growing" out of this video game trend so they didn't care much.
What if Nintendo had implemented an actual CD slot on the N64 and Gamecube(not that super, itty tiny embarrassment Nintendo calls a disc even though I loved the Gamecube), probably wouldn't have made Sony the behemoth it has become with the PS brand.

What if Microsoft never entered the console biz but just turned third party. I honestly don't know about this one but eh, it had to be asked.

What if Nintendo thought an actual creative name brand for their consoles. Probably the WiiU might have found more success.

I want to say a what if for Capcom but other than the predictable crossover games and the Megaman Mistreatment complaint, I got nothing.
Oh nice 2000th thread. What a great achievement.
(09-29-2014, 11:23 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: What if Last of Us wasn't made. The world would be a better place since we'd have at least 50% less retarded fanboys drooling over a mediocre game and trying to hype it as the pinnacle of gaming.

God dammit I miss post rep.

What if at the time of its release, every single console except for the Atari Jaguar failed miserably, prompting everyone in the industry to branch off of the god damn Jaguar for years to follow.