Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Forum Upgrade General Thread
Hey all. I just wanted to give a little advance warning that we'll be performing a major upgrade to the forum software tomorrow. The process we'll be using is complex but we've already successfully completed it at The VG Resource so I'm confident that things should go smoothly.

We haven't quite decided how we're going to handle the down time (i.e. take the entire site offline or just the forum - I'm leaning towards the entire site though) just yet but either way, do expect at least some down time tomorrow. If we do it the way I'm expecting us to, down time could be rather significant but we'll do our best to work as quickly (but safely) as possible.

I'll be around throughout the night so if you have any questions, let me know!
Cool, good to know things are still being done on the forums.

At least I can decide what video games to play tomorrow instead of refreshing the forums until I'm forced to play a game I don't like.
Is the forum going to be ultra bright like the resource is now?
To begin with, it may be a bit brighter. Given the significantly more customized layout here though, we intend to do a bit more work on it before re-launching again.
(10-03-2014, 08:24 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: Is the forum going to be ultra bright like the resource is now?

Your post inspired me to check out the Resource and after looking at it, its seems cool. I'll be over there in a week. :)
We're currently conducting this upgrade now - just a heads up. Expect some obvious style issues (like font colors) to be changed over the next hour or so, and over the next few days.
Upon seeing the new forum layout

Heh, I kid, it's cool and all but I'm a man who doesn't like change that much.

Just wondering will there be an option in the near future to revert back to previous forum styles?
No, the new themes are built into the software now and there won't be a way to revert back to the exact look we had before. That being said, we're not done fiddling with the colors yet and it's definitely not going to stay this bright.

^ the video just appeared in the reply box. That's strange.

This is going to take some getting use to, but I'm willing to work with it.

A good deal of the changes I really like.
(10-04-2014, 12:17 PM)Petie Wrote: No, the new themes are built into the software now and there won't be a way to revert back to the exact look we had before. That being said, we're not done fiddling with the colors yet and it's definitely not going to stay this bright.

Damn, well whatever. I'm cool with it. I'll get used to it in time.
Well, I guess I can get used to it.
But, I'll say that my favorite part of this forum's previous look was having the poster's info on the left side of the page. I personally feel having that info above each post greatly breaks the flow of the page. I actually really hate that style and left a forum over it. But I love you all too much, so I'll stay right here. Don't worry.

Beyond that, I love all the other changes. The brightness, upgraded icons, ect.
Apparently the spoiler code doesn't function anymore(at least for me),Is anyone having that problem and if so, what's up with that??

(10-04-2014, 02:29 PM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: Well, I guess I can get used to it.
But, I'll say that my favorite part of this forum's previous look was having the poster's info on the left side of the page. I personally feel having that info above each post greatly breaks the flow of the page. I actually really hate that style and left a forum over it. But I love you all too much, so I'll stay right here. Don't worry.

Beyond that, I love all the other changes. The brightness, upgraded icons, ect.

We defaulted to the modern post layout because it works better with this fixed width but you don't have to use it if you don't like it. Simply go to your Edit Options page and select the "Display posts in classic mode" checkbox under Thread View Options and you can go right back to how it was before.

(10-04-2014, 02:43 PM)Berry Wrote: Apparently the spoiler code doesn't function anymore(at least for me),Is anyone having that problem and if so, what's up with that??

Spoilers were handled with some custom BB code that we haven't re-created yet so they'll be broken for a little while. Don't worry though, we haven't forgotten about them.
(10-04-2014, 02:57 PM)Petie Wrote:
(10-04-2014, 02:29 PM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: Well, I guess I can get used to it.
But, I'll say that my favorite part of this forum's previous look was having the poster's info on the left side of the page.  I personally feel having that info above each post greatly breaks the flow of the page.  I actually really hate that style and left a forum over it.  But I love you all too much, so I'll stay right here.  Don't worry.

Beyond that, I love all the other changes.  The brightness, upgraded icons, ect.

We defaulted to the modern post layout because it works better with this fixed width but you don't have to use it if you don't like it. Simply go to your Edit Options page and select the "Display posts in classic mode" checkbox under Thread View Options and you can go right back to how it was before.

[Image: Thank-You.jpg]
Seriously, you have no idea how happy I am to know this!
Does the page reload for anyone else when you thank a post?