Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Best and Worst VG Movies
We certainly have had our share of the good and the bad when it comes to video game movies and tie-ins. What I'd like to know is what are your favorites and why? Which ones make you want to shove nails to your eyes and how badly?

I'll start with a couple movies I personally liked, I'll get to my ranting on the bad ones later.

Silent Hill is propably the best live action video game movie I have seen. It kept the spirit and overall story/mythos of the games fairly well and was just presented very nicely overall. One of the few movies I can never get enough of. Totally excited to see the sequel.

Other good ones I should mention are Prince of Persia and Doom. I did enjoy those movies thoroughly. Then, of course, there's basically every animated VG movie ever, including Tekken, Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy. Speaking of, I really need to rewatch Advent Children. I managed to get my hands on a copy of the Complete Edition blyray and I intend to watch it all extras included.

As for the bad ones... You can see my rant in the spoiler tags.
I think it would be best if we brought up and quickly forgot about the Super Mario Bros movie. Not only was it a horrible adaptation, it's straight up one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

As for best, I love me some Mortal Kombat
I loved the first Mortal Kombat movie it was really really good. Then the second movie came out and wow I hated it so much. They ruined it so much and I really hated it. I did enjoy the Tekken movie BUT that was before I knew about the game. After I became a fan of the game I didn't like the movie anymore. The first two Resident Evil movies were good the rest are horrible. I also recalled watching a King of Fighters movie but I forgot how that was. Advent Children was ok in my opinion. Final Fantasy The Spirts Within. Never watching that again.
(03-20-2013, 07:07 PM)TheTrueBoss997 Wrote: Final Fantasy The Spirts Within. Never watching that again.

I think people would've liked that movie more if Final Fantasy wasn't in the title. The first time I watched it I had never played an FF and I enjoyed it.
I enjoy

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
Silent Hill (not Silent Hill 3D)
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within

I enjoyed the visual spectacle of Advent Children and it's DBZ moments, but the movie... it was just ok. I really liked the first Resident Evil movie once... but I'm over it now. I keep watching the RE films even though they get worse and worse... it's like munching popcorn and laughing at those terrible B movies on Netflix by The Asylum, combined with nostalgia for Jill Sandwiches.

Silent Hill 3D is actually enjoyable as a monster madness, midnight matinee kind of flick... but it's completely cracked out and isn't Silent Hill at all.

The Tomb Raider movies and Prince of Persia were aright. Nothing to write home about, but I don't buy into widespread internet hate on many things.

Doom was forgettable, mediocre... but an ok movie. I didn't hate the SMB movie as a kid.

I like to just pretend that Vampire Hunter D is a Castlevania movie.

Movies about games:
Happy Console Gamer: The Movie :P
The Wizard! dammit (it's to video games what Tommy is to pinball)

Indie Game: The Movie lol... was actually kinda disappointing. Wanted more design theory like Sequelitis, and less emotional trials and tribulations. I guess that was the director's vision, though... the "passion" of art in the suffering sense of the word.

Still waiting on AVGN's movie. I want a Game Grumps movie... I have no idea how it would work, but I want it.
Luigi didn't have a mustache in the super mario bros movie. 'Nuff said.
(03-20-2013, 09:00 PM)Wardenclyffe Wrote:
(03-20-2013, 07:07 PM)TheTrueBoss997 Wrote: Final Fantasy The Spirts Within. Never watching that again.

I think people would've liked that movie more if Final Fantasy wasn't in the title. The first time I watched it I had never played an FF and I enjoyed it.

It's a competent scifi movie, it's relaxing, and it had amazing CGI for it's time. I agree.
If I recall correctly, the Max Payne movie wasn't TOO terrible.
(03-20-2013, 09:20 PM)pyoro64 Wrote: Luigi didn't have a mustache in the super mario bros movie. 'Nuff said.

John Leguizamo is a moustache

I want the people who made the last Judge Dredd movie to make a direct sequel to the Super Mario Bros movie and I want Frank Miller (Sin City, Robocop, Dark Knight, 300 etc) to write it, so it can be full of futuristic mushroom drugs and urban decay
I liked the first Mortal Kombat movie, mainly because of the camp value and likable cast. Spirits Within was pretty nice, and I think it shouldn't have been labeled as a Final Fantasy movie, since it doesn't really share anything with the series.

MD, I agree with you on the Resident Evil movies. I enjoyed the first one for its spin on the story, but they just went downhill afterwards. Now, it's not even recognizable with the first movie. I watched Tekken: Blood Vengeance and ,oh the pantheon of all gods, was it terrible. The voice acting, the animation, the stupid characterization, the ridiculous plot, all of it was just terrible. I've only seen the first Bloodrayne movie, and never played the games (so I don't know how well it ties into the games' stories), but as a film, it was pretty bad. Advent Children was unnecessary to me, as it didn't continue anything, just brought back Sephiroth for no explainable reason, all for a five minute bitch fight.

Also
Go ahead, say your worst. I'm ready.
The Resident Evil films annoy me, not as much as Transformers but they're just so damn bad. Even if I don't look at them as Resident Evil films but generic action eye candy, they still fail in that area too.
The last one was so bad. It was like it was filmed in a week, on a closed set, and the rest was handled by editing magic... still, when it ended, I wanted to see more story lol. They're actually making another one, I think. I'm part of the problem.

That has to be the last one. It's the Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street of the 2000's... not in quality, just in how prolific it is.
(03-20-2013, 09:16 PM)2D Brain Wrote: I like to just pretend that Vampire Hunter D is a Castlevania movie.

I like to do that with Van Helsing.

My favorites are probably the first Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat, and most of the animated ones.

The worst I've ever seen was Uwe Boll's House of the Dead. Actually, maybe each Uwe Boll movie is the worst video game movie.

I liked the first Resident Evil movie okay, but I don't like any of the other ones.

It's not really a movie based on a game, but The Wizard is pretty terrible. If you've never seen it, it's basically a really long Nintendo commercial. Even though it's awful, it's corny and dumb and has a bunch of zany quotes.
The Tekken movie, I couldn't watch through it all. The costumes were pretty good but that's as far as the quality goes.
The Wizard was Rainman for kids in the 80's.

Also Fred Savage had automatic street cred because of the wonder years and Princess Bride. The Super Mario Bros 3 reveal blew my mind... more than anything could today. I actually had a Power Glove and couldn't get it to work on anything I owned.

I love it lol