Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Smash Bros. 3DS Model Change on Pause
We've examined the files after people reported Smash Bros. character models change when pausing. Can confirm that there are 2 models for each character - one with a high polygon count, one with a lower polygon count.

For example, here is Mega Man:
High Polygon Count

Low Polygon Count

Interesting. Could they have had trouble making the game run at 60fps with the higher-poly models then?
Perhaps some kind of texture filter?
No filters.
(10-09-2014, 07:44 PM)G-Haven Wrote: Interesting. Could they have had trouble making the game run at 60fps with the higher-poly models then?

That's most likely the case. While games like Ocarina of Time 3D ran in a smooth 60fps the game also had less stuff on the screen at once. I would believe that 2 of the higherpoly models in the game would make the game still run at 60fps as the highpoly models aren't that different from eachother but if there were 4 of them it would drop to atleast 50fps which would ruin online play and possibly boot it down to 40 or 30fps.

I believe if they had waited and released the 3DS version along with the new 3DS it wouldn't have any problem loading all 4 highpoly models but since the current 3DS isn't as powerful it's safer to do it this way in order to keep 60fps.

Also I can point out that Ocarina of Time 3D didn't have brand new models for every characters in the game as some of the models are just slightly higherpoly versions of their 64 Models with some updated textures. Though I believe this is only for the non important NPCs cause characters like Ruto, Zelda, Malon and Saria have brand new models just like Link does.