Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
EarthBound: 2 Possible Insperations for the Starmen
I believe I have found 2 possible things that could have inspired the design of the Starmen from the Mother/Earthbound series.

1. The most obvious, the space men from the 1950's film "The Day the Earth Stood Still"
[Image: THE_DAY_THE_EARTH_STOOD_STILL_SCREENSHOT_2.jpg]

2. A bit more obscure, this mysterious photo has been around since the 50's too and features a spaceman similar to the Starman. 
[Image: solwaystarman_5765.jpg]
I personally think number 1 is more likley, any thoughts?
Any developer commentary over that?
I do get a sort of Gort vibe from the Starmen. The intro before the title is also reminiscent of that sort of movie, as well.
[Image: XKwNTSd.png]
Interestingly enough, it turns out the "starman" in the second picture is actually the boy's mother in the background. I think I saw something about it on YouTube, maybe Danger Dolan's channel.
(10-11-2014, 11:09 PM)Kakariko Kid Wrote: Interestingly enough, it turns out the "starman" in the second picture is actually the boy's mother in the background. I think I saw something about it on YouTube, maybe Danger Dolan's channel.

That's actually really interesting.

Another small trivia thing I heard somewhere on the web is that the UFOs seen in the opening above never actually appear anywhere in the game itself.

I don't know if this is true or not, anyone can confirm or deconfirm this?
Those specific UFOs, not really.
You can find similar stuff like tiny UFO enemies and using Andonuts Sky Runner.
The larger ones don't really show up aside from seeing oval-shaped lights hovering around where the Meteorite impacted at Onett, much later into the game.
http://starmen.net/mother2/maps/onettnight2.png