Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Features that should be in every game.
This is a weird one I just thought of, but have you ever seen a gameplay feature or option in a game, however small, that really impressed you and needs to be used more?

I'm getting into Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning ($5 right now on Steam by the way), and it has a "Hide Helmet" function that I've never seen used outside of MMO's. I love it, especially because early-game headgear looks like crap and my character is going through chemo.
I honestly can't think of any feature that should in every game because I can't think of a single mechanic that works in all genre's and sub-genre's of gaming.
Being able to go back a little during a cutscene because I am a slow reader and sometimes I don't have time to read. Or a list of what they said like in a visual novel.
Menus are nice in most games.
Working gameplay is essential, I think.

I mean, I've played Resident Evil Missions. I know pain.
(11-03-2014, 07:10 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote: Menus are nice in most games.

While I'm sure this is a joke, I have to agree - Fable III sucked.
I can only think of the obvious like subtitles and the ability to tinker with the sound. It pissed me off so much I couldn't do that with Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Colors; the music is way louder than the voices and there's nothing I can do about.

I also like when long games have something like a journal that tells you your current objective, just in case you haven't played for ages and aren't sure where you left off.
Unlockables, I think games should take a page from the past and put back unlockables, especially challenging ones but DLC killed that lovable feature so I guess I won't see it for a long time.
An option to skip or turn off tutorials. People complain about the tutorials in games, but I find them helpful now that we get little to nothing for manuals now. That being said, Tron 2.0 (GBA) had the ability to turn off tutorials if you had played the game before. This would be nice and would make people stop complaining so much.
Cutscene skipping....
I can't really think of anything else.
Tourist Mode

I always found that Crysis 2 used a very good way of utilising the buttons on the controller well. They put the change weapon button on "Y" on the 360 controller, and the Grenade button was also on "Y" but only if you double tapped it. I felt that this would be useful in a lot of FPS's and such to save space for other more important buttons that may be missed out.
All I can think of is good soundtracks and being funny in terms of good humor.
(11-03-2014, 01:44 PM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: Cutscene skipping....
I can't really think of anything else.

You know you wanna speedrun the Wind Waker on GameCube (Kappa). 

But yeah:
  • Cutcscene skipping. 
  • Ability to customise/remap your controls (Pretty much, every fucking game. Even though I change the button layout thanks to my CronusMax, it's still a huge problem)
  • Ability to add faster scrolling text (JRPGs)
  • Ability to change sound effects (Phoenix Wright is the worst)
  • This is more a fighting game thing, but I want every fighting game to follow from Skullgirls and Killer Instinct. I want to be able to viewboxes and frame data and have a very extensive training mode.
  • Saving; unless a mechanic of the game (See Dead Rising), should have a level flexibility and control given the player. Multiple saves, choice of saving when you want and having more than one save slot. 

The feature that I think should have, specifically RPG's, is to have a quick reminder of what you previously did when you last played.Like a "previously on" kind of deal. They did it with the firered/leafgreen despite Pokemon stories is way too easy follow, I like for it to be implemented to more complex hard games.
(11-03-2014, 06:44 PM)Berry Wrote: The feature that I think should have, specifically RPG's, is to have a quick reminder of what you previously did when you last played.Like a "previously on" kind of deal. They did it with the firered/leafgreen despite Pokemon stories is way too easy follow, I like for it to be implemented to more complex hard games.

I can see that. Previously on "Final Fantasy 7" -" Jesus, Barrett, they're minerals!" "I am the Mother" " Would you like some chocobo?"