Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The Zelda series and conducting batons
While taking my music appreciation class the other day, we had a lesson on conducting, and it immediately drew my mind to The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
Why? Because the lesson stated that conductors almost always hold the baton in their right hand, yet in Wind Waker and its official artwork (including the HD remake), Link is consistently shown with the Wind Waker in his left hand.
Artwork/Screenshots:

Typically in conducting, the left hand is used to signal changes in tempo, dynamics, and overall balance of the orchestra. The right hand, holding the baton, is used to keep the piece's time signature, just as it does in Wind Waker. Most musicians are aware of this, and would have some difficulty adjusting to a conductor holding the baton in their left hand instead, reversing the roles of both hands.
http://cnx.org/contents/6bb53617-cb09-43..._In_Conduc

I've also noted that when Zelda uses the Wind Waker in Hyrule Warriors, she holds it properly in her right hand.
Just an interesting bit of trivia my music appreciation class made me think about.
Actually, the more I think about this, the fact the Link conducts with the Wind Waker in his left hand might be for the benefit of controls.

The baton is used to change time signature, and in Wind Waker, this is done by moving the control stick, where your left hand would be.
The free hand indicates the beat, tempo, pitch, and most everything else. Link doing this with his right hand corresponds to the C-stick being on the right side of the controller.

Now it makes a little more sense, even though those controls could have easily been reversed to make Link an acceptably right-handed conductor.
That's a pretty sweet observation, and when I played the game I liked how they matched Link's hands (when facing the camera) to the control sticks. But I have to wonder if, by placing the baton in his wrong hand, they just wanted to drive home the point that he's left-handed...? Or if they even knew there was a 'proper' way regardless of handedness?
Considering the fact that Link is lefthanded (and only 12), it makes sense he would use his dominant hand for the baton, regardless of what it means.