Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What has defined the 10's so far?
So, we're 5 and a 1/4 years through the 10's and before we know it it'll be 2020 pretty damn soon so I've been wondering.

Even though we're not through this decade yet, what has defined it so far in your opinion?

For me, I can't even think of things that have defined it as much as things like movies, music, fashion etc. did for the 80's and 90's.

Possibly the start of Virtual Gaming with the Occlus rift but apart from that I can't really think of anything else.

What about you guys? What do you think?
Lots and lots of revolutions and uprisings and civil wars and terrorism.
Celebrity deaths.
The age of the selfie, easily.
The start of the three best websites out there: The Spriters Resource, Did You Know Gaming?, and VGFacts.
Spriters was started in 2000 according to the copyright.

Anyway, f2p games, Nintendo going mobile, Skyrim, a new console generation, new games that look like they were designed for the Gameboy Advance, The Hunger Games films, lots of weed legalization (23 U.S. states as of the moment), The Arab Spring, and doritos locos tacos.
How Television shows have gotten extremely better and it is at it's prime.
I'd argue the opposite. How television has been phased out by alternative mediums in many homes.
America going down the toilet, terrorism and murder that is being allowed (I fear Civil War 2 or World War 3 will begin by 2030) and the loss of originality that leads to lots and lots of remakes/retellings with different names and settings and such in Hollywood (especially Disney).
Crimea, Syria, Lybia, Paris having the worst pollution in the world (happened today apparently), WoW's 10th, EA shenanigans.
(03-21-2015, 08:07 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: I'd argue the opposite. How television has been phased out by alternative mediums in many homes.

But with the availability of those alternative mediums, it gived quite a strong boost to TV Shows because of channel apps, hulu, on demand, and netflix.

I'd say that Movies are almost being phased out with the strong grip that TV Shows have right now.
TV from the perspective of video, I can see. I thought you meant TV as in the device.
(03-21-2015, 08:05 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: Skyrim

Eh?

How would anyone remember Skyrim from this time, maybe as some early WRPG in this decade, but I doubt it'd be the thing everyone mentions when they say "video games from the 10's" or something.

I mean, the video game picking for this decade are kinda slim still but I doubt Skyrim would be that game people would mention as being "defining".
(03-21-2015, 08:20 PM)Kakariko Kid Wrote: America going down the toilet, terrorism and murder that is being allowed (I fear Civil War 2 or World War 3 will begin by 2030) and the loss of originality that leads to lots and lots of remakes/retellings with different names and settings and such in Hollywood (especially Disney).

Wait, when did we start talking about the beginings of Amarica? America has been going up and down since we started. And if your talking about the resint problums, most of it can be traced back to one of the two Bushs.

As for remakes/retellings, the same can be said about most movies. Thier are so many classic movies that were remakes of other movies or adtaptaions of old books that the people who prase classic movies and damn remkes would eat their words for years.

(03-21-2015, 08:51 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: TV from the perspective of video, I can see. I thought you meant TV as in the device.

This I can also argue since I need the device called a TV to play games on.
(03-21-2015, 09:14 PM)retrolinkx Wrote:
(03-21-2015, 08:05 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: Skyrim

Eh?

How would anyone remember Skyrim from this time, maybe as some early WRPG in this decade, but I doubt it'd be the thing everyone mentions when they say "video games from the 10's" or something.

I mean, the video game picking for this decade are kinda slim still but I doubt Skyrim would be that game people would mention as being "defining".
Defining video game... Hrmmm the issue mostly arises from the fact that we're no longer getting leaps in gaming technology like we did when, say, we went from the PS to the PS2. We no longer have such a huge "whoaa" moment when we see what the next gen has in store given that everything just progresses smoothly, rather than in big, abrupt increments.

I'm interested to know what defines your 2010s so far !

The main crux of the 10s so far for me has been moving from Europe to North America, snagging two degrees on the way and meeting the love of my life. Also I now have a cat that does a little spin when you bring her food bowl to the feeding area <3
Also I joined DYKG, and subsequently VGF, which has been a pleasure ever since.