Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Pac-Man World Trilogy [Beta/Unused content.]
Hello everyone. Pac-Man World 1, 2 and 3 have always held a special place in my heart but recently I noticed some unused content and such that nobody has seemed to talk about. Well, That's what I'm here for: This thread is to delve into that and hopefully some of you should find this somewhat interesting. Here I shall talk about beta, unused, revision and other such content that isn't in the final game you see today.

PAC-MAN WORLD

Pac-Man World initially began life as a PS1 game known as Pac-Man Ghost Zone. I'm pretty sure you already have heard of this so I don't think I will need to explain this. Here is some gameplay footage that survived though: Sadly it resembles Bubsy 3D more than the solid game we see today.

After being completely rebooted it was initially named "Pac-Man 3D" in 1998, Only later would it be given it's final name. Only now have I found early footage.

Most of the level design seems to be very different from the final as well as Pac-Man having a different model. It's also worth noting Pac-Man dies in one hit as opposed to the final builds which give him hitpoints. He also has the ability to jump in the mazes much like Pac-Mania and Pac-Man Adventures in Time.

A rare demo disk was released sometime before it's release in 1999. The following actually contained a few differences from the final game.

- Buccaneer Beach uses the music from Crazy Cannonade 
- The Power Pellets have a strange outer layer graphic rather than the "shine" in the final
- The Hint sign is near the ledge rather than being near the box like platform
- Picking up items like fruits,lives,etc makes no "ding" sound
- Metal Pac-Man looks more lighter than his final coloring
- Pac-Man's life icon is different
- The fruits look slightly different than the final: Most notably are the Galaxian Ship and the Melon (Which resembles it's design from Pac-Man World 2 more with the blue spots on it being smaller.
- The cannon fire sound is different and the ball itself (I think? couldn't tell...)
- The buttons use different graphics than the final
- The Pac Dot meter/indicator has a ring around it while it doesn't in the final.
- Perhaps the most interesting is the demo of the stage called Clowning Around. It differs drastically than it's final counterpart looking more psychedelic, the maze also uses the same song as the main level itself. 

Recently this year a user found unused level data on the games disk, Here are some following videos of such.

An unused ruins level.

Unused mazes and test levels. Some of the following of the said levels have made their way into the final game. (The "Graveyard" world being used somewhere in Grave Danger and the strange Clown themed one in Clowning Around.)

Unused cemetary area and warpzone.

A very odd, glitchy, unfinished level that was more than likely used when the game was called "Pac-Man 3D".

PAC-MAN WORLD 2

I couldn't really find a whole lot on Pac-Man World 2's history, but I did find a few things that are rather interesting.

[Image: PW2E3_01.jpg]
[Image: PW2E3_03.jpg]

Very Early screenshots of what look to be an earlier version of the Forest area, also note the strange purple ape-like NPC in the second screenshot.

[Image: PW2E3_02.jpg]

What appears to be an earlier version of "Ice River Run".

I also did have a screenshot of an unused fly enemy that I sadly can't seem to find anymore, however the texture file for this enemy is still seen in the final game under the name "swampfly", and was supposed to first appear in the Bear Basics, Along with that: The strange ardvark creature seen at the title screen is also an unused enemy named "sidesneaker".

UPDATE: Since then I have found a good image of the Swamp Flies ingame.
[Image: ps2_pac_man_02.jpg?1324165776]
On another note, Notice how the rocks are replaced with LillyPads in this screenshot.

Along the art files for the fruit in the PS2 version is one named "Bell" which doesn't appear to be used at all in the final. Sadly the file format is unopenable (PMI) and I'm unsure if it's in any other version of the games data.

Briefly during its initial release Ghosts killed Pac-Man regaurdless of his health, making them even more dangerous. This was changed in later revisions of the game most likely because they were worried about it being too difficult. The platforming was also slightly harder, for example: the first safety net in B-Doing woods didn't exist in the initial versions and B-Doing pads were in different locations than the re-release. 

Besides revisional differences, I also noticed a Regional difference when looking up footage for the Japanese footage of the game: All the pits in the forest are no longer deadly as they are filled up with sand, making some of the collectible items (especially in Canyon Chaos) a joke.

UNUSED CODE:

The following is at the very bottom of the "cinema" script for Clyde in the Caldera, The line with Pac-Man mentioning B-Doings is left in the Tree Boss script as well but it again, goes as unused. (And later revisions changed it with the tips he gives about Rev-Rolling and Butt-Bouncing on the boss.)

Quote:;************** Tree Top Boss Scripts

;************ FIRST TIME THROUGH ***********
#TREE_TOP_BOSS_INTRO
@ONE_TIME_START ()
  @CAST (PacMan,TreeBoss)
  @CUE (TreeBoss)
@ONE_TIME_END ()
  @CUE (TreeBoss)
  @ACTOR_CAM(FAR_FRONT,TreeBoss, 0, TRUE)
  @ACTOR_CAM(NEAR_FRONT,TreeBoss, 1, TRUE)
| PACMAN, I'LL GET YOU! \n YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO REACH ME UP HERE. |
| HAHAHA!!! EAT SAWBLADES! |
@CUE (PacMan)
@ACTOR_CAM(FAR_FRONT,PacMan, 0, TRUE)
| HMMM.  I'LL USE THOSE B-DOINGS!!! |
| THEN I'LL GET THAT GOLDEN FRUIT! |

#TREE_TOP_BOSS_HALF
@ONE_TIME_START ()
  @CAST (PacMan,TreeBoss)
  @CUE (TreeBoss)
  @ACTOR_CAM(FAR_FRONT,TreeBoss, 0, TRUE)
  @ACTOR_CAM(NEAR_FRONT,TreeBoss, 1, TRUE)
@ONE_TIME_END ()

@CUE (TreeBoss)
| THINK YOU PRETTY SMART, DON'T YOU! |
| I'LL KNOCK YOU OFF THAT PLATFORM! |

#TREE_TOP_BOSS_DEAD
@ONE_TIME_START ()
  @CAST (PacMan,TreeBoss,GoldenFruit)
  @CUE (GoldenFruit)
@ONE_TIME_END ()

;; this sound doesn;t work unless we have a shot
;; of the ghost fleeing
;@PLAY_SOUND (SND_FROGBOSS_CRY)
;@ACTOR_CAM(FAR_FRONT,Pacman, 0, TRUE)
@ACTOR_CAM(FAR_RIGHT,TreeBoss, 1, TRUE)
@PLAY_MUSIC(GOLDEN)
@CUE (GoldenFruit)
| THE GOLDEN CHERRY..... |
@COMMAND_WAIT()
@START_FADER()
@COMMAND_WAIT()

Aside from that, there are several unused lines for Clyde's dialogue reading "NOW YOU CAN EAT FLAME ROUND ONE!" And along with that is unused lines for when Pac-Man gives the player hints.
Quote:;| THAT GLASS DOME LOOKS PRETTY FLIMSY |
;| ...YOU CAN'T STAY UP THERE FOREVER! |
;| THEN I'LL GET YOUR GOLDEN CHERRY! |

There is even MORE unused dialogue for the underwater world boss.

|THIS TIME, PACMAN WE GOT YOU.|
|ALL OF US GHOSTS HAVE BUILT A HUGE WHALE OF A SUB.|
|WE WILL SINK YOU.|
|GHOST CLONES, ATTACK!||

Ingame if you collect pretty much 150 tokens you can unlock the Museum, Which allows you to look at concept art and other things that were intended to be in the game. Some of the more interesting ones are fully rendered screenshots of what appear to be an early version of the game. Some notable pictures include Pac-Man sliding down the snowy mountains in an inner-tube, Pac-Man facing a giant electric eel and a Snow Yeti which ended up being reskinned into a Pac-Polar Bear.

PAC-MAN WORLD 3

PMW3 has a very interesting development history: the project initially started out as a game called "Pac-Man Adventures" and would have featured characters designed by Don Bluth. Some notable elements besides unused character designs are the inclusion of other Namco characters like Dig Dug (Or Taizo Hori if you prefer that.) and a strange plot revolving around an "Elixir" Erwin had concocted. The idea was scrapped but most of the conceptual ideas and characters were reused for the final game.

Our very first trailer was shown at E3 of 2005, Right away we can see several differences: The most obvious one is how different most of the levels look as well as fairly different sound effects and a Pac-Dot counter. One thing that is most interesting is a room with moving cranes, This area does not appear at all in the final game. (You can see it at around 1:15)

This footage shows off a very early version of what would become Banni Wasteland: Which features strange blender-like icons whenever he collects a fruit as well wooden crumbling platforms. You can see a brief animation of them starting to fall apart before it cuts off to the footage showing off the Ribbon Loop pellet, Which has a more high-pitched sound than the final. This also shows us an earlier version of Zyhper Hieghts. It's notable that Pac-Man suddenly gains his Electro-Shock ability without eating the special Power Pellet. As well as a number appearing by the icon. I will explain more on this later as it has to do with a very interesting scrapped mechanic. Spectral Monsters also make a strange noise when eaten as opposed to the 8-bit chomp soundbyte.

This footage shows off a very early work in progress map of what would become the first Spectral Realm level and Gogekka Heights. We can see here ((As well as in the main trailer)) that K-Trons simply spin and fall down as opposed to shattering like in the final, The 8-bit Ghost Eating sound seems to have been restored as well.

An early demo of Pac-Man World 3 was released on 2 rare demo discs known as Namco Transmission v3,2 and Namco Transmission v3.1, Very few copies of these are known to exist, the difference between the two discs are that one has a Soul Calibur 3 demo while the other has a MotoGP 3 demo. Both seem to have the same demo of PMW3 though, It seems to be a close to final build but still has plenty of differences and is also the last time we see the Pac-Dot counter: The most interesting one is after clearing the Spectral Monster fight, You gain the ability to select and use your special Power Pellets at any time. The demo ends with a cutscene of Pac-Man being knocked into the Spectral Portal by a Spectral Monster oddly enough.

Pac-Man has a few removed voice clips from the final game such as a jumping grunt and a balancing sound for when he stood near a ledge. Along with this we see 2 features.
THE SHOP
As I mentioned above, there appeared to be some sort of inventory system early on in development. It was scrapped from the final game but unused files refer to a shop of some kind: Orson has some lines of dialogue referring to the shop but I could only get one to play, which the end of him explaining about the Super-Stomp Pellet. The reason why this mechanic was removed is unknown but it either had to do with time constraints or making the game too complicated. A shop machine can be found in the demo at 4:11 in the video, but it is not accessible and will only display the message "Shop opening Q4 2005".

OBJECTIVES
The game was going to have an objective briefing system when paused to guide the player, This was scrapped but a similar feature is in the (crappy IMO =P) Nintendo DS port of the game. The objectives can still be found in the tablestrings files for each level. The demo shows off the only released build for consoles to have this version.

In the final game located in the "allpacks" folder there appears to still be unused level folders that supposedly contain the E3 levels judging by their name, Along with the games version of Pac-Village seen in the intro. Along with that are what I think are unused mazes, some being labeled as Ms. Pac-Man and "Original Pac-Man".

UNUSED AUDIO: https://www.mediafire.com/?9eyvkgs8iea3qgx

Included are the files for Zypher Heights and Shadow Temple 

- Orson would have talked during the boss fights against Erwin and would tell the player on what to do.
- Pac-Man was supposed to have an intro with Erwin when they met on Zypher Heights but it is left out for an unknown reason
- Erwin's last name is revealed to be "Claudry". Sometimes even reffered to as "Clang".
- Pac-Man would say lines after being defeated by Erwin, while a few are kind of unerving a few do sound just fine to suit the game. ("Twenty-five is too old.. for world saving." & "...How did I used to get out of this?") Along with that, Erwin would boast about his victory upon the player losing a life.
- Pac-Man has clips for when he failed an unkown task for Zypher Heights. 
- There are different takes for lines that are used in the Final Game, while I didn't rip all of them I ripped a few for you all to hear
- Inky and Blinky were to have clips during the final boss fight, along with that Inky seems to have had a different voice actor at this point as it's different from the final.

Huge thanks to UltimateRandomGamer/NamcotEnterprises for the demo footage for PMW3.

Feel free to give your thoughts in this thread.
Sweet stuff man, though its better suited for http://www.vgfacts.com/forums/forum-16.html here, if you want to submit it as trivia.
(06-30-2015, 06:19 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: Sweet stuff man, though its better suited for http://www.vgfacts.com/forums/forum-16.html here, if you want to submit it as trivia.

Ah... Dunno if it's okay to ask if this thread could be moved to there or not but I am up to that.
Not a problem at all.
Sorry if this is a pretty big bump but I found a lot of new stuff so consider this a major update.