Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
To fellow Kingdom Hearts fans, we don't need KH3 in 2016
I've been thinking this for awhile now, but I honestly don't think we need Kingdom Hearts 3 in this coming year of 2016, and here's why. Most fans of RPG's, I would think not only own a PS4, but a 3DS. With that in mind, the 3DS is getting games like Final Fantasy Explorers, Dragon Quest 7 and 8, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, Project X Zone 2, a new Pokemon game (because come on, we know that's happening at some point), Fire Emblem Fates, which has three versions to play, Bravely Second, and possibly Monster Hunter X and Monster Hunter Stories. Even if you don't have a 3DS, the PS4 is getting Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness, World of Final Fantasy, two God Eater games, Tales of Berseria, Dark Souls III, Neir: Automata and likely Ni No Kuni II. All that is all that I can think of off the top of my head, intentionally excluding 2.8 because the reaction seems so mixed. With all that, there are bound to be several RPG's that fans of the Genre will want to play, and who knows what else is to come. With that kind of list in mind, I can only think of two things: one, Kingdom Hearts might have been good in 2015 as there weren't a lot of 8th gen RPG's this year to really get lost in, and two, Kingdom Hearts III would be better suited for 2017. We almost already have too many RPG's coming out next year, taking a break and waiting until 2017 is probably in fans, and developers best interests. 

I have a feeling though that will be several fans who disagree with me, but I wonder if anyone here has an opinion on the release of KH3, and all the other RPG's I listed.
See, I would disagree with you if it wasn't for ANOTHER KH project that was announced. Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue was anounced for 2016 and with it had me and my brother asking how much time and man work did they take away from KHIII and put into II.8 FCP. There is also the fact that we are getting a remake of FFVII along with brand new titales that I could do with a little delaying.
Bandai Namco just announced another JRPG for the PS4 and Vita in the new SAO game called Hollow Realization. That's another reason to delay KH3.
I don't consider KH as a normal JRPG. It's also so famous of a series, I don't think it would really affected by a slew of JRPGs that are very different anyways.
(12-24-2015, 07:43 AM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: I don't consider KH as a normal JRPG.  It's also so famous of a series, I don't think it would really affected by a slew of JRPGs that are very different anyways.

I'd agree if most of these weren't already Square RPG's and ones that will compete with Square. Also, FFXV is going to play a lot like Kingdom Hearts and so is Explorers. Even SAO might be similar in game play. I just think if nothing else, that we have enough action RPG's for next year lined up where 2017 is pretty much a blank slate for KH to come out and topple it's competition. I don't feel like, despite it's popularity, that it would compete as well with a Persona game and a new FF game. It's gonna do well regardless, but Square as a business probably knows that it's best not to compete with yourself.
Speaking as a guy who has 100%'d several of the KH games, Dragon Quest remakes are a far different field from Kingdom F*cking Hearts. I'm not personally a huge fan of most traditional JRPG's, but I love me a good Action RPG, like KH or anything from the Tales series, and at this point I'm honestly just sick of Square remakes and am losing faith that they can deliver a satisfying action game. Lots of long running studios have a handful of re-releases, but holy shit Square has just repacked and remade so much of their library, it's nauseating. I'm eagerly anticipating Kingdom Hearts 3, but it's been delayed and pushed back so often at this point that its future isn't looking the brightest. In general, KH games have been incredibly Hit-or-miss with me in terms of quality, since I think KH 2 and 358/2 days are some of the greatest narratives ever told through videogames in general, while KH 1 and Re:Coded are horribly programmed hot piles of dog excrement. Betwen the vast range of quality, little available information and constant pushbacks combined with a studio that's better known at this point for remakes and handheld RPGs, I'm not holding my breath for KH 3.

Oh and just a minor note, Monster Hunter is definitely not an RPG. It's a weird game to confine to a genre, but roleplaying is 100% not a part of it.
(12-28-2015, 04:17 AM)Arjahn Wrote: Speaking as a guy who has 100%'d several of the KH games, Dragon Quest remakes are a far different field from Kingdom F*cking Hearts. I'm not personally a huge fan of most traditional JRPG's, but I love me a good Action RPG, like KH or anything from the Tales series, and at this point I'm honestly just sick of Square remakes and am losing faith that they can deliver a satisfying action game. Lots of long running studios have a handful of re-releases, but holy shit Square has just repacked and remade so much of their library, it's nauseating. I'm eagerly anticipating Kingdom Hearts 3, but it's been delayed and pushed back so often at this point that its future isn't looking the brightest. In general, KH games have been incredibly Hit-or-miss with me in terms of quality, since I think KH 2 and 358/2 days are some of the greatest narratives ever told through videogames in general, while KH 1 and Re:Coded are horribly programmed hot piles of dog excrement. Betwen the vast range of quality, little available information and constant pushbacks combined with a studio that's better known at this point for remakes and handheld RPGs, I'm not holding my breath for KH 3.

Oh and just a minor note, Monster Hunter is definitely not an RPG. It's a weird game to confine to a genre, but roleplaying is 100% not a part of it.

Monster Hunter is an RPG more than it is anything else and Monster Hunter stories is actually going to be turn-based so it is easily an RPG. 

As for the rest, even if you aren't accounting for DQ games, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy Explorers, FFXV, both God Eater games, Tales of Berseria, Ni No Kuni II, Dark Souls III and Neir: Automata are all action RPG's. That is nine action RPG's that we know of so far, and we aren't even in 2016 yet. Including the other games I listed, we have something like 20 known RPG's coming out next year, and while 3 of them are remakes, that's 3 out of 20. Also, a lot of people who are about KH have been fans of the genre for at least 13 years if they got involved in the series when it released. I'm sure anyone who is closer to my age, has been a fan longer than. Hell I know I have. Finally, it really sounds like you are discounting handheld RPG's as if only console ones are worth comparing to other console ones. Pokemon notwithstanding, if you think Fire Emblem Awakening isn't on par with with console RPG's, you don't know RPG's well enough to debate them or defend anything about them. You need to explain some things to me because it really sounds like you don't know what's what in the RPG line-up.

Keep in mind as well, that this list is set up for all RPG's because even if you don't like anything outside of action RPG's, Fire Emblem Fates and Bravely Second are two of the most anticipated RPG's to be released next year, both of which are on Handheld.
You're just listing a bunch of random upcoming RPGs which are going to have varying degrees of quality. My point was simply the Square pours a lot of resources into remakes and repackagings of games instead of pursuing new creative endeavors, which admittedly isn't really the original point of the post. I'm not a big fan of modern RPGs and the number of games you listen don't really interest me. I can tolerate waiting longer for KH 3, I mean we've all gotten pretty used to that at this point, but what I don't agree with is the studio pouring time and resources into other Kingdom Hearts adaptations to give fans their fix, since they've done it so many times at this point that its starting to grate on my soul.

I wasn't discounting handheld RPGS at all, no idea where you got that from, I love me some Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest IX, and even hold the Mystery Dungeon games as some of the most touching narratives I've ever played through. I don't appreciate the notion that because I'm not an enormous fan of certain recent RPG efforts, I'm somehow less qualified to discuss them. I was pointing out that it's been a while since Square has delivered an Action-RPG on par with one of the Kingdom Hearts games, which is why I have concerns that 3 won't be able to live up to the hype.

Monster Hunter is definitely not an RPG or typical ARPG in any traditional sense. You don't gain levels or get into a sprawling story, it's closer to a straightforward action game where you craft gear. If anything, I'd compare it to first person shooters with weapon-level progression. I suppose you could call it an Action RPG, but even then on the list you gave, you're pooling so many varying types of games into the extremely broad RPG category. Honestly at this point I'm sick of the term RPG, since every friggen game with any sort of numbers in it is apparently a Role-Playing game, even if it has jack shit to do with playing a role.
(12-28-2015, 07:39 PM)Arjahn Wrote: You're just listing a bunch of random upcoming RPGs which are going to have varying degrees of quality. My point was simply the Square pours a lot of resources into remakes and repackagings of games instead of pursuing new creative endeavors, which admittedly isn't really the original point of the post. I'm not a big fan of modern RPGs and the number of games you listen don't really interest me. I can tolerate waiting longer for KH 3, I mean we've all gotten pretty used to that at this point, but what I don't agree with is the studio pouring time and resources into other Kingdom Hearts adaptations to give fans their fix, since they've done it so many times at this point that its starting to grate on my soul.

I wasn't discounting handheld RPGS at all, no idea where you got that from, I love me some Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest IX, and even hold the Mystery Dungeon games as some of the most touching narratives I've ever played through. I don't appreciate the notion that because I'm not an enormous fan of certain recent RPG efforts, I'm somehow less qualified to discuss them. I was pointing out that it's been a while since Square has delivered an Action-RPG on par with one of the Kingdom Hearts games, which is why I have concerns that 3 won't be able to live up to the hype.

Monster Hunter is definitely not an RPG or typical ARPG in any traditional sense. You don't gain levels or get into a sprawling story, it's closer to a straightforward action game where you craft gear. If anything, I'd compare it to first person shooters with weapon-level progression. I suppose you could call it an Action RPG, but even then on the list you gave, you're pooling so many varying types of games into the extremely broad RPG category. Honestly at this point I'm sick of the term RPG, since every friggen game with any sort of numbers in it is apparently a Role-Playing game, even if it has jack shit to do with playing a role.

To that, I say no, at least not exactly. The RPG's I listed are every single one that I know that's coming next year, all of which have a lot of fans or hype. The reaction for Neir: Automata for example really surprised me considering how Neir, good as it is, was not that popular. Same thing goes for the Dragon Quest remakes, Bravely Second, Star Ocean, most of these had some pretty big reactions upon their announcement. With that many RPG's in the market, it's getting flooded, hence why I say I think Kingdom Hearts III is better off releasing in 2017. A lot of people are going to want to pick up a lot of these games, regardless of quality, because their fans. With that many to choose from, it's kind of important not to throw too much at everyone at once. 

If you don't appreciate my notion, don't give off the idea that you like action RPG's over everything else in the RPG genre and not give examples of other RPG's you've played. Also, I don't know where you got the idea that I said anything about recent RPG's. I said I've been playing RPG's much longer than Kingdom Hearts has been around. If anything, that's saying that I was talking about older RPG's.