Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Stardew Valley Discussion
After logging in over 60 hours of Stardew Valley (with full-time job and a few dates) in a week, I feel like there should be a discussion on the game.
Like, what secrets have been discovered without knowing about it first?
Or, what do you think the secret is the developer said he thinks no one will find in a long time?
(Seriously though, this game is the bomb).
(03-22-2016, 04:00 PM)Colossus Wrote: After logging in over 60 hours of Stardew Valley (with full-time job and a few dates) in a week, I feel like there should be a discussion on the game.
Like, what secrets have been discovered without knowing about it first?
Or, what do you think the secret is the developer said he thinks no one will find in a long time?
(Seriously though, this game is the bomb).

I'm sure it is.

Two questions :
How would you describe Stardew Valley to someone who has not heard of it ?
How did your dates go ?
I would describe Stardew Valley as the spiritual successor to Harvest moon as if it was created after Back to Nature (or Friends of Mineral Town) with the graphical sense for a GBA (or DS). If someone says its Farmville, they need to shut up.
If you don't know what Harvest Moon is, I would describe that as a farming simulator where you grow and harvest crops to make money. With that you also gather materials (such as wood or stone) to build and upgrade buildings (such as your home, barn, coop..). With Stardew Valley, however, you don't need to farm. There are also other means of income, such as fishing, forging and mining. With the mining, there comes a price: monsters. When your mine, monsters will try to attack you (mainly slimes). IF your HP drops to zero in the normal mines, someone will come find you and drag you out to the top. You will lose a random amount of levels you explore (an elevator will bring you to down every 5 levels you explore) and a random amount of items in your bag. If you are in the desert ruins (unlocked after making it to the bottom of the normal mines in the mountains) and your HP drop to zero, you will end up in the hospital.
There are other objectives in the game as well, such as becoming friends with the villagers, choosing to restore the community center or buy a membership to the Joja market (or what I like to call Walmart) and paying off for the unlocks, and getting married (you can get married to either sex regardless to your own).
The power berries are replaced by Stardrop (s?). You get a horse when you build a stable.
Did I mention that most of the villagers are a dick to you till you butter them up? Time to give and never receive (unless you want recipes. They will mail you one or two of those).
(I will add anything else I can think of if I find its needed)

Other than that, my dates went pretty well. #4 tomorrow (finally a good sign on that end)
Should also add that talking to villagers is a good start to building relations. They are made to be human so neglecting to talk to one of them makes them feel sad. Although giving them stuff(mainly easy-to-make cooked stuff) does help most of them.
Haley is a stuck up spoiled brat.
I am intrigued...
I loved Harvest Moon: Back to Nature. I watched the trailer and threw it on my Steam wishlist. I am excited at the eventuality of playing it.
(03-23-2016, 09:54 PM)SamuraiGaiden Wrote: I am intrigued...
I loved Harvest Moon: Back to Nature.  I watched the trailer and threw it on my Steam wishlist.  I am excited at the eventuality of playing it.
I LOVE Back to Nature, and this game is what should have came out after that game. I spent months playing Back to Nature, and this is what I wanted after that. If I played this portable (or with controller) this would be perfect. However, PC made it way better.
If I'm being honest, I don't really see much point to this one. If it had come out before fantasy life, it would have worked a little more, but because Harvest Moon has been around much longer, and the combat in it and in Fantasy Life are both a lot better than Stardew, I say get one of those instead.
(03-25-2016, 10:14 AM)RepentantSky Wrote: If I'm being honest, I don't really see much point to this one. If it had come out before fantasy life, it would have worked a little more, but because Harvest Moon has been around much longer, and the combat in it and in Fantasy Life are both a lot better than Stardew, I say get one of those instead.
Harvest Moon doesn't have any combat in it, unless you are talking about Ruin Factory. Fantasy Life (I think) is no where close to either Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley. The only thing that Fantasy Life and Stardew Valley have in common is gathering materials or buying them.
Ruin Factory, Harvest Moon, Fantasy Life, my point is there are better choices out there than this one. It doesn't seem like a bad game from what I've seen, I just think it came out at a bad time.
It could be, but this is the Harvest Moon game I've been waiting for since Back to Nature. I don't feel like any of the games after that did it any justice (especially Harvest Moon DS which seemed to be good.. till you realized how broken it was)
I can't remember which HM it was, it may have been the Gamecube one...
I had to mate the chickens, just to get eggs. You had to have a rooster to get the hens to lay eggs. Real chickens don't need cocks to lay eggs. And they got rid of all of the tool enhancement techniques. Your watering can would not fill more than a single space with every use. I think you could only upgrade how much water it held.
So...much...hate...

I am interested in eventually getting a copy of Rune Factory, either way. But so far what I'm seeing makes SV look like the Harvest Moon I've wanted, like Colossus said, since we finished Back to Nature. The one we've wanted and never got to have...
Two of my brothers bought the GameCube Harvest Moon, and I do have to say... I hated it. I tried to play it many times, and cannot do it. I am planning on buying a copy for myself, but I do not see myself really getting into it. Might just be for the collection.
(03-26-2016, 01:44 AM)Colossus Wrote: Two of my brothers bought the GameCube Harvest Moon, and I do have to say... I hated it. I tried to play it many times, and cannot do it. I am planning on buying a copy for myself, but I do not see myself really getting into it. Might just be for the collection.

I assuming you guys are referring to A Wonderful Life. Funny, it's generally considered one of the better games in the series. 

I'll be honest though, that is game is a pain to get started in. It's such a slow grind to get gear that is worth a damn. Once you're past the initial hump, it becomes a good bit of fun, although you really shouldn't have to slog through hours of game just to get to the fun part.

Stardew Valley feels like a much more fair grind. I feel like you start with adequate stuff, and you get the great stuff via the grind. I haven't put too much time into Stardew Valley (5 hours max) but I feel like I've made more progress here than in AWL in the same amount of time.

Stardew Valley feels like they stripped all the extra fluff that the series was getting dragged down with as they kept iterating on the formula, and actually just refined what was there.
(03-26-2016, 02:47 AM)Takahashi2212 Wrote:
(03-26-2016, 01:44 AM)Colossus Wrote: Two of my brothers bought the GameCube Harvest Moon, and I do have to say... I hated it. I tried to play it many times, and cannot do it. I am planning on buying a copy for myself, but I do not see myself really getting into it. Might just be for the collection.

I assuming you guys are referring to A Wonderful Life. Funny, it's generally considered one of the better games in the series. 

I'll be honest though, that is game is a pain to get started in. It's such a slow grind to get gear that is worth a damn. Once you're past the initial hump, it becomes a good bit of fun, although you really shouldn't have to slog through hours of game just to get to the fun part.

Stardew Valley feels like a much more fair grind. I feel like you start with adequate stuff, and you get the great stuff via the grind. I haven't put too much time into Stardew Valley (5 hours max) but I feel like I've made more progress here than in AWL in the same amount of time.

Stardew Valley feels like they stripped all the extra fluff that the series was getting dragged down with as they kept iterating on the formula, and actually just refined what was there.
Yes, I was mentioning A Wonderful Life. (The GameCube MAINLY had one Harvest Moon).
Stardew Valley is a grin at the beginning, but it is SO satisfying when you are able to hit 100,000+G in one harvest in one harvest. 

I DID find a nice little glitch involving finishing the Community Center AND paying for a membership the next day (when raining... might work on the same day). Check it out here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhkoa25nZFs