Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
David Hayter Opens Up About Metal Gear Solid 5
We all know that David Hayter, the voice of Solid Snake and Naked Snake, was in no way involved with Metal Gear Solid 5. But according to an interview he did recently, Konami has been trying to replace him since Snake Eater! 

"I had to re-audition for Metal Gear 3 to play Naked Snake. They made me re-audition to play Old Snake, and the whole time, they were trying to find somebody else to do it. I heard that Kojima asked one of the producers on Metal Gear 3 to ask Kurt Russell if he would take over for that game. He didn’t want to do it."

He actually found out he wasn't going to be in The Phantom Pain while having a drink with the game's voice director Kris Zimmerman.

"That was basically it, and then I talked to Kris Zimmerman (Metal Gear English casting and voice director). She said, ‘We’re going forward, but it looks like they are going to try and replace you.’ They tried to do that before, and it never worked. They tried to get voice matches, and it never happened."

So, Konami tried to find a David Hayter sound-alike that wasn't David Hayter, and nobody could pull it off. That actually says a lot about the range and talent possessed by Mr. Hayter. It's kind of like trying to replace Maurice LaMarche as The Brain.

"It was annoying to me, because I thought that I had given a lot to the series and really helped promote it. At the same time, I genuinely feel that the run I had as Snake was remarkable. If you get that once in your career, that’s amazing. I don’t have any ill will toward Kiefer Sutherland or anything like that. The whole thing could have been handled better and a little more respectfully, but I’m not going to cry about it."

Hayter was asked if he would eventually play MGSV. Not only will he pass up the latest installment in the Metal Gear Franchise, he said that he hasn't even played the previous 2 games.

"I was so annoyed by the Metal Gear V debacle, and people said, ‘Are you gonna play the game?’ Yeah. That’ll be 60 hours of humiliation that I can’t get to. I haven’t played the latest two iterations, because it’s just too painful."

It seems like this is more proof that Konami doesn't know what their fans want or like. I for one loved David Hayter's portrayal of Solid Snake. Doesn't everybody? So what on Earth made Konami come to the decision of replacing the iconic voice of such an iconic character since the early 2000's with Snake Eater? Why did they hate him so much? It's not enough that they tried to replace him, but they made him re-audition for a character he helped create?

"Everybody loves this man's voice." "EXCELLENT! He's as good as fired!"

Since Hideo Kojima left Konami, fans were wondering if David Hayter would ever work with him in the future.

"I've got no particular love for Kojima. I don't feel any need to go back and work with him again."

Well, I just wish David Hayter the best of luck in his future endeavors. Hopefully he's on his way to voicing another iconic character we'll come to love and respect.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...ation.aspx
You should submit that to the series. Best of luck to him as well.
What's interesting is that a lot of people were saying that Hayter wasn't going to voice Big Boss in the Phantom Pain because Spoiler:Big Boss wasn't actually Big Boss, and you were playing as someone else, so of course he wouldn't have the same voice.

But as time went on, the game came out, everyone saw the ending and Hayter eventually saying this. It just shows that it was right for such a stupid reason.

Who even cares about Konami at this point.
(03-27-2016, 04:56 AM)retrolinkx Wrote: What's interesting is that a lot of people were saying that Hayter wasn't going to voice Big Boss in the Phantom Pain because Spoiler:Big Boss wasn't actually Big Boss, and you were playing as someone else, so of course he wouldn't have the same voice.

But as time went on, the game came out, everyone saw the ending and Hayter eventually saying this. It just shows that it was right for such a stupid reason.

Who even cares about Konami at this point.
That would be fine but Hayter being replaced never had anything to do with Konami, it seems likely that it was all Kojima's doing. We like to look at our favorite developers as though they were infallible but Kojima wanted Hayter off the project, plain and simple, because he made Snake with Kurt Russell in mind. He is the reason for this problem. That said, I get it, things happen either between those working on the game, or those who make a new one with a different voice in mind. It was Kojima's mistake.
Oh fair enough, I thought it was Konami pushing Kojima.

My point still stands, who even cares about Konami anymore.