Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Chrono Trigger Style RPGs
For the Longest time, fans were clamoring for a new game in the Chrono series and yet we have seen nothing. To that end, we may never again, but we have been lucky enough to get a few games that are heading our way that are very similar to Chrono Trigger, the more famous of the two RPGs (yes I am excluding the Radical Dreamers game for obvious reasons, like the lead developer not even liking it). Now I do not know exactly how many games there are that are like Chrono Trigger, but I would like to bring up two that I know of.

First off, I am Setsuna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4txT2EicrHE

The next one seems to have more of a Western game influence. It is called, Cosmic Star Heroine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juKE8FvMky0

These two games are very interesting because it is really hard to tell which one is more like Chrono Trigger. On the one hand, I am Setsuna actually has similar moves to that of Chrono Trigger as the trailer shows a version of the famous "X" strike from the game, and I have seen some gameplay where one of the characters even has a spell called Lightening the same spell the main character uses in Chrono Trigger. One the other hand, Cosmic Star Heroine looks more like Chrono Trigger, even though you could also argue it looks like Mega Man or several other games from the 8 and 16 bit eras. At first I thought, this is a good thing as we should all hope that they are successful games to help promote the idea that we want a new Chrono Trigger.

After thinking about it a bit, I thought of one thing worth mentioning, first off, is that these games will 20 dollars and 15 dollars respective of the order I put them in. Another thought came to me as well, and that it the fact that CSH is getting a physical release, but it is also a limited release, on top of that, I am Setsuna is only on one console and not to brush off steam, but in Japan, the game was also on the vita, just like CSH will be. All that thinking got me wondering, is this really the start of an attempt to check the popularity of Chrono Trigger like games, or is it just more of the same with Indie style games comng out on the cheaper end of things?

Honestly, I do not have an definitive answer here, and I would be interested if anyone knows of any other games that might fall under the same ideas as these ones do, while also hearing your opinion on whether or not you think we are on the road for another game in the Chrono series. With E3 so close, and that being the most likely place we might we a new Chrono game, I figured this was a good time to speculate on the subject, because I cannot help but wonder if these games are just games that are being made because someone had the idea and someone else in charge approved it, or if the waters are being tested in a manner of speaking.
Looks great!