Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Which one of these would you deem the scariest?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Anorexia Awareness: Scary Tales
0%
0 0%
The Hanna-Barbera Drug PSA
100.00%
1 100.00%
Pure Abject Horror
0%
0 0%
Drunk Driving: Shattered Glass
0%
0 0%
The Animated Pedestrian Safety PIF
0%
0 0%
In Bed With The Flames
0%
0 0%
The Cartoon Child PIF
0%
0 0%
Drinking And Drinking Wrecks Lives: Eyes
0%
0 0%
DOE: Disaster in My Head
0%
0 0%
The Asbestos PSA
0%
0 0%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Public Service Announcements/Public Information Films Thread
For those who are unaware, Public Service Announcements (or Public Information Films as they're referred to in the UK) are brief advertisements meant to teach the viewer not to do something that could have deadly consequences, such as doing drugs, texting while driving, and the like. While a handful of them are pretty basic and standard, there are some that REALLY  like to emphasize on the "deadly consequences" part, which is why I've made a thread devoted to posting and sharing them.

Ireland is somehow great at these and it's kinda terrifying.
(08-12-2016, 04:35 PM)retrolinkx Wrote:

To be honest, I don't find this one to be that creepy. I get what they were trying to do with the message, but the way they handle the crash scene pushes it into unintentionally hilarious territory. The organization behind this (DOE) has made much more effective adverts in the past in my opinion.

(08-12-2016, 04:35 PM)retrolinkx Wrote:

I watched that one 2 weeks ago and man, i laughed so hard...

What? Why are you looking me like that? Like retr0pia75 said, the way they handle the crash scene pushes it into unintentionally hilarious territory.
Drinking and Driving Wrecks Lives, a series of PIFs revolving around the consequences of drunk driving that were made from 1987 to 1997, are infamous for their horrific and depressing nature. Essentially, think of them as Partnership for a Drug-Free America if they were founded in the UK and were devoted to putting an end to driving under the influence rather than drugs.

I started searching for a texting and driving PSA we were shown back in highschool (or college, those names never really translate well to Finnish school system) and holy sweet mother of Christ, we were only shown the first minute of this. It's 4 minutes long D:

...Is it wrong that now I REALLY want to watch Final Destination?
In 1984, there was an ad centered around Asbestos that was aired in Canada, and it's...um....see for yourselves.
Tears on the Highway, an anti-bullying short film/psuedo-PSA, is grim beyond description. It takes place on a school bus, with a kid and his friends picking on another kid. It's standard fare - that is, until the climax. The bus driver is distracted by the commotion, resulting in the bus getting into a FATAL ACCIDENT THAT KILLS NEARLY ALL OF THE KIDS. Oh, and it's not the usual "crash, then immediately transition" type either - you actually get to see the brutal and horrific deaths that the kids suffer. Would you believe that not only was this shown in elementary schools, but in KINDERGARTEN CLASSES, TOO!?
A majority of the Ad Council's PSAs are harmless, but there are some that are a bit more...well, "intense" than others.

This one leans a bit more to the humorous side, but is still gruesome enough to be considered horrifying.
While its more of an educational thing(since it was made for Schools) Disney did make a few of these, but for mostly educational purposes. Here's one they made about drinking alcohol.

Now here's something creepy for ya. Hanna-Barbara(Yes, those guys who did Flintstones, Jetsons, Tom and Jerry etc) made this back in the 70s. It different than their usual 'flat' looking cartoons for an anti drug PSA.
(09-11-2016, 08:44 PM)CLXcool Wrote: While its more of an educational thing(since it was made for Schools) Disney did make a few of these, but for mostly educational purposes. Here's one they made about drinking alcohol.

Now here's something creepy for ya. Hanna-Barbara(Yes, those guys who did Flintstones, Jetsons, Tom and Jerry etc) made this back in the 70s. It different than their usual 'flat' looking cartoons for an anti drug PSA.

I remember a Goofy short that was based around smoking, but it wasn't really meant to teach people about the dangers of it. Heck, at the end Goofy just goes back to doing it. The anti-drug HB ad leans towards being more surreal than creepy, but it's still a far more effective animated anti-drug PSA than Cartoon All-Stars to The Rescue can ever hope to be.
The Hanna-Barbara drug ad is aiming for surreal, but it shows you the dangers on how it can effect you later in life(since the drugs did lead the person to a closet full of dead like people who were possibly OD'd the said drugs). Lets not ever bring up that mess that some even consider as a 'psa film'. Its nothing more than a cheap joke that doesn't teach your kids properly on avoiding drugs.
Here's a PSA for ya. One focusing on domestic violence on children. 
(09-12-2016, 04:24 PM)CLXcool Wrote: Here's a PSA for ya. One focusing on domestic violence on children. 

This was always one of my all-time favorites. What makes it so powerful is how throughout the ad, they take all of these brutal circumstances and push them to over-the-top slapstick degrees, which really makes the final shot where the kid is shown lying unconscious - or in the worse case scenario, dead - as horrifying as it is thought-provoking. The organization behind this, NSPCC also made another equally great ad appropriately titled Don't Look.