Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What's the Dualshock 4 light for?
I didn't ask myself this quiestion all this time since I don't own a PS4, but a friend of mine lended me his console to play Uncharted.

That light man... maybe I'm not used to it but it's annoying as hell. Does it have a meaning? Do you use it for something other than find your way to the bathroom at night?

Also, I heard it consumes the battery faster. That's another plus.
Certain games use the light as a means of signaling changes in environment. For example, it changes to orange when you enter power armor in Fallout 4. In party games, the light tends to be your assigned color.
Big Grin 
(08-24-2016, 10:19 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote: Certain games use the light as a means of signaling changes in environment. For example, it changes to orange when you enter power armor in Fallout 4. In party games, the light tends to be your assigned color.

So it's basically useless. Like, I have to look at the color to know if I am inside the power armor since, you know, I couldn't tell otherwise.
I wouldn't say its useless. Its certainly gimmicky, but it has its uses. What bugs me about DS4 is the speaker in the controller. It is equally as gimmicky, but it doesn't work when you use it on PC, and it hurts PS4 streams.
The best use for the light or speaker on the DS4 is in GTA. When you are in a chase with the cops, it flashes red white and blue while the speaker has some of the siren noise playing through it. Also, when you get a call from someone on the phone while driving, it plays through the DS4 speaker, which actually adds a layer of immersion, because it sounds more like you are on speaker while talking. That makes sense because you don't have an earpiece and you only ever drive with one hand when you are shooting and driving at the same time. However, the speaker is far from perfect. It has a set volume for each game, so some games come out of it really loud when you connect headphones to it, and sometimes the game can never really be muted if you want it to be, because the volume on the controller can't be shut off. The best example for that, that I can think of, is Dragon Quest Hero's, because the audio always comes out of the controller which means you are always hearing the volume twice, or hearing it in poorly quality from the speaker. The other option is to put the headphones in, but the volume in that game is set at one of the highest I've ever heard, making it hard on your ears.