Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Game Shows
I was actually a pretty big fan of these. I thought getting the Game Show Network meant that I'd be seeing a lot of classics that were on before I was born as well as stuff that was on when I was a kid... Not so much. It's more like the 24/7 Family Feud Channel. Not even the good one with Richard Dawson; it's with Steve Harvey. Yuck.

I loved the update to Hollywood Squares that was on when I was a kid; I'd like to see that again as well as the old one where Paul Lynde was the center square. His voice was just fantastic to hear, plus he was the Hooded Claw in the Perils of Penelope Pitstop.

Win Ben Stein's Money was good too. Basically Jeopardy at the beginning and then matching wits with Ben Stein, but way more casual and entertaining.

I have caught both versions of Whammy on GSN, but I want them to put The Match Game on again at a proper hour. All those old celebrities I actually know are terrific!

Let's see... I also recall Super Market Sweep. The games were kind of dumb, but still a nice way to kill a half hour.

A few years back there was It's Worth What as just a filler show that involved contestants answering questions about antiques I wish they would have kept going.

Do you guys watch any modern game shows? How about older ones? What have been your favorites? Also, when I get home and have time to look I should find some of my favorite bloopers. The ones from game shows are always the funniest.

Two that really stick out is a woman from Family Feud who was asked "What month does a woman look the most pregnant?" and she answered "September!" and then one from one of the many Pyramid reboots where a guy had to make someone say "Birkenstocks" and his clue was "Those ugly shoes that lesbians wear!" and his partner guess it right away xD
Yeah, I like Game shows. They're fun and entertaining and I do always like trying to guess the answers to them.

I remember my mother told me that my grandfather used to instantly answer the questions on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He would never get a single one wrong as well. The sad part was, when my uncle would try and get him to be on the show, he couldn't go on because he was blind and thus couldn't answer the questions (since there's a system the determines who plays and doesn't) and even with help from my uncle there could only be on contestant who could play. Shame really.

I've always wished there were vidya game shows, I'd love to test my knowledge for some money in a similar manner to Who wants to be a Millionaire.
(09-05-2016, 05:38 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: Yeah, I like Game shows. They're fun and entertaining and I do always like trying to guess the answers to them.

I remember my mother told me that my grandfather used to instantly answer the questions on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He would never get a single one wrong as well. The sad part was, when my uncle would try and get him to be on the show, he couldn't go on because he was blind and thus couldn't answer the questions (since there's a system the determines who plays and doesn't) and even with help from my uncle there could only be on contestant who could play. Shame really.

I've always wished there were vidya game shows, I'd love to test my knowledge for some money in a similar manner to Who wants to be a Millionaire.

DUDE. They could have absolutely worked something out so you're grandfather could play. Jeopardy once had a blind contestant and he was amazing. Gosh that's not fair Millionaire just flat out said "No".

Ahhh.... I wonder if G4 would've hung in there if they would have eventually made a game show centered around video games somehow. Really surprising no one's given that a shot yet.

I wish there were still some game shows centered around music still around, but I'd totally fail if it had too much modern music. Even though I was in my teens (I think?) when it was on I should have tried to get on Don't Forget the Lyrics. Would be nice for my memory for songs to be useful for once. 

I got so frustrated with a contestant once. They let you pick one of two songs and she picked Helen Reddy's I am Woman, saying it was because "I am a woman". I was just sitting there like "OK... That's nice, but do you know the song?".

She didn't. 

The lyrics went: I am strong, ___ ___ ____

...She had no idea what came next so she used a lifeline to fill in the first two words which, of course, are "I am". She then needed a second to get "Invincible". I was nearly shouting at the TV.

Since it's centered around luck, Deal or no Deal would have been nice as well. I still remember getting super pissed at this mother who was on there. She had two young kids and a husband at home they put up on a screen to talk to her. She was in the six figure amount, her husband was begging her to stop, and she ended up going home with peanuts. 

You don't take risks when you have a family. The amount she pissed away was life changing.
Oh you brought up Win Ben Stein's Money. I forgot about that show. It's funny you bring up Jepperty as a comparison, becuse they had one contestant awnser in the form of a question one and they put a dunce cap on his head. I wanted to find the clip but sadly I couldn't.

I love game shows but I don't watch many since it's mostly the Match Game or Steve Harvey's Feud on when I want to watch one. I've mostly started watching British game shows on Youtube just to see the difference. My favorite right now is The Cube. It's pretty much Minute to Win It but in a 4M X 4M X 4M cube and kinda better.

I also prefer the British version of The Chase since they have three (I think. It may be four) chasers instead of the one we have.

One that I wish was still around (mostly because the primise was cool) is The Exit List. Two conestionts are put into a maze where they have to answer trivia. If they get it right they get one word (the answer) added onto a list and some money, but if they get it wrong, all the options are added to the list and they get nothing for that room. They move from room to room doing this until they had enough. One they are done, one of them leaves and the other one has to backtrack though the maze and give each of the words from the Exit List in any order. It's an interesting idea for a game and it's too bad it lasted 7 episodes.

When I do watch amarican game shows, I like to watch Chain Reaction (even though I don't like the host that much) along with the reruns of older game shows. I'll even watch Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, and Let's Make a Deal when I remember they are on.
(09-05-2016, 07:32 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 05:38 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: Yeah, I like Game shows. They're fun and entertaining and I do always like trying to guess the answers to them.

DUDE. They could have absolutely worked something out so you're grandfather could play. Jeopardy once had a blind contestant and he was amazing. Gosh that's not fair Millionaire just flat out said "No".

This was the late 90's and in Ireland. There was no way he could've played because the way the game chooses you to be the next contestant is that you're circled around the floor, and the contestant that goes up first will be asked questions and you will be asked the same questions, the person who answered the questions the fastest and gets them right are the ones who go on first.

Since my grandfather couldn't see the panel you'd have to press, he'd be at a disadvantage as he'd have to tell my uncle to press the specific button several seconds later. Plus, but the rules of the game. My Uncle would've been the one who was answering the questions, not my grandfather.

It's BS either way, but those were the rules and the reasoning.
(09-09-2016, 04:27 PM)retrolinkx Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 07:32 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote:

This was the late 90's and in Ireland. There was no way he could've played because the way the game chooses you to be the next contestant is that you're circled around the floor, and the contestant that goes up first will be asked questions and you will be asked the same questions, the person who answered the questions the fastest and gets them right are the ones who go on first.

Since my grandfather couldn't see the panel you'd have to press, he'd be at a disadvantage as he'd have to tell my uncle to press the specific button several seconds later. Plus, but the rules of the game. My Uncle would've been the one who was answering the questions, not my grandfather.

It's BS either way, but those were the rules and the reasoning.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH now that makes sense! See, I was super confused because I have never seen it played that way, just the standard American version. That does make it more complicated. It would be hard for them to find a way to make it "fair" so other people wouldn't be dicks and complain they just let your grandfather on because of being blind. You just know someone would have tried to pull that >< 

I was just watching Deal or no Deal now and I can't remember the last time I wanted a contestant to do well. This adorable woman from Alaska came on and she and her family were a delight to watch. They were all so happy, energetic, and supportive of one another.

She took a deal that was a bit over $200,000 even thought she had I think it was $200,000, $400,000, and $500,000 left in addition to three very small amounts on the board. Howie said exactly what I was thinking: This woman didn't want to gamble away her kids' future. 

In the end she made a great deal. The next case she would have opened was the $500,000 and it never got back up to the amount she took home. She had $200,000 in her case. 

Kudos to her for not being greedy. I genuinely hope she's living a comfortable life now.