Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Optional things that Weren't Worth it
So I finished watching a Twitch Stream of Super Mario RPG that was done by a handful of fairly well known LP personalities. One of the things they set out to do was find every single hidden chest, the fellow who was playing certain that you got a special item for doing so. They even back tracked to find the ones they missed which took up a fair amount of time.

In one of the towns is a chest they could speak to which told them how many were left. After finding them all, all he does is inform them that there aren't any left. That's it. Zero reward.

This made me want to think/talk about other side missions in games that really weren't worth the effort you put into them.

I know there's got to be more, but off the top of my head I can recall getting 150 Pokémon in Red legitimately by trading with my friends. One even evolved his Eevee into a Flareon because it was the only one I needed because he wanted to see what would happen as well.

Being little kids, we bought into the Mew rumor, so imagine how bummed I was when I was given the diploma. It actually took a fair amount of effort to "Catch 'em all" so I was hoping to get something amazing out of it. I wouldn't have cared if I knew that's all you got out of it.

What other stuff like this can you guys think of?
Most achievements don't actually do anything. If you can't complete all of them (of which that is very much a thing on Steam), its not worth the pursuit.
Off the top of my head, Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku 2's secret character. You have to get every character exept for Goku to level 50 (which takes forever to do) to open up doors that lead to statues of the characters. When you get everyone's statue (which means beating the game to get Goku's statue) you unlock Spoiler:Hercule. this would be cool (and it kinda is), but since you just beat the Cell Games, there is nothing to do except for watching the ending and leveling him to level 50. This is hard enough as it is with the other charicters, but this guy is the weakest character in the game and if you don't level Goku up to level 50, this guy starts at level 1 (if you do, he starts at level 40). After he's level 50, you can see the alternate ending, which is not really worth it. At lest you can still get the Golden Capsules, which allow you to escape to the map whenever you need to..... which is now worthless because all the events are now done.

Next thing that comes to mind is the unlimited Rupee prizes in Zelda games. The Gold Skulltulas were nice when you unlocked the bigger wallets when you still used the Rupees, but by the time you got the last one, it's end game and you don't need to spend any money. Twilight Princess has the same problum with the Poes, however at lest this game has a magical armor that uses Rupees..... which also isn't as cool as it sounds.
The second round of boss battles in Ni No Kuni in the post game. Sure, they are fun because they are a lot harder, but by the time you finish them, you find yourself saving up all the great stuff you get from them to save for the last one, and then you use it all, and then nothing really all that important happens, because that was the last challenge the game had to offer you. Battling after the fact is kind of pointless unless you need to in order to complete other sidequests, which is just kind of meh at that point.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma. This thing will haunt me forever. There is a secret area you can get into as Rachel, a small arena kind of place where you have to battle dozens of ridiculously fast and deadly demon creatures. With Rachel. The woman who thought dressing into high heels and approximately 20 square centimeters of leather and using a giant hammer way too heavy for her to use as a weapon when going on a demon hunt was a good idea. Well, she also has the grappling hook, which does just about no damage whatsoever and is useless pretty much everywhere outside of cutscenes. No ninja skills, mobility and speed close to nothing, kill these dozens of demons in a cramped space and get something in return. Hours of my life wasted dying and retrying over and over again, I finally smash the skull of the last demon in and a giant chest emerges from the ground. Sweet baby Jesus this has got to be the most amazing thing I've ever... It's a hairstyle. BUT NOT JUST ANY HAIRSTYLE! Instead of having her hair in a ponytail... Now it's just straight! THAT'S FUCKING IT! WHY WAS THIS A THING YOU GET FROM A CHEST?! FOR A CHARACTER YOU PLAY ABOUT 10% OF THE GAME AS! I was ready to chuck my PS3 out of the window at that point. Worst. Reward. Ever.

Other smaller things I could think of are the repeated boss battles from Bravely Default that serve literally no other purpose than tell a bit more story during sections where it's really rather inconsequential (but you can't return to them so if you want to see everything... and the last ones are really flippin' unfair) and the time I beat Resident Evil: Missions, a game that only gave me a sour taste in my mouth and a life time vendetta on whoever the fuckface was who thought this piece of shit was a good idea for a game. No ending, no story, no nothing, just a giant "we made a shitty game, you beat it, fuck you". Fuck.
(10-01-2016, 08:18 PM)Mass Distraction Wrote: Ninja Gaiden Sigma. This thing will haunt me forever. There is a secret area you can get into as Rachel, a small arena kind of place where you have to battle dozens of ridiculously fast and deadly demon creatures. With Rachel. The woman who thought dressing into high heels and approximately 20 square centimeters of leather and using a giant hammer way too heavy for her to use as a weapon when going on a demon hunt was a good idea. Well, she also has the grappling hook, which does just about no damage whatsoever and is useless pretty much everywhere outside of cutscenes. No ninja skills, mobility and speed close to nothing, kill these dozens of demons in a cramped space and get something in return. Hours of my life wasted dying and retrying over and over again, I finally smash the skull of the last demon in and a giant chest emerges from the ground. Sweet baby Jesus this has got to be the most amazing thing I've ever... It's a hairstyle. BUT NOT JUST ANY HAIRSTYLE! Instead of having her hair in a ponytail... Now it's just straight! THAT'S FUCKING IT! WHY WAS THIS A THING YOU GET FROM A CHEST?! FOR A CHARACTER YOU PLAY ABOUT 10% OF THE GAME AS! I was ready to chuck my PS3 out of the window at that point. Worst. Reward. Ever.

Other smaller things I could think of are the repeated boss battles from Bravely Default that serve literally no other purpose than tell a bit more story during sections where it's really rather inconsequential (but you can't return to them so if you want to see everything... and the last ones are really flippin' unfair) and the time I beat Resident Evil: Missions, a game that only gave me a sour taste in my mouth and a life time vendetta on whoever the fuckface was who thought this piece of shit was a good idea for a game. No ending, no story, no nothing, just a giant "we made a shitty game, you beat it, fuck you". Fuck.

Bravely Second did those repeated boss fights a lot better, save maybe the side quest ones where you would literally just pick the choice you didn't the first time to get the other class you missed.
The moonstone in Final Fantasy 9 involves a lot of backtracking through a single zone with a lot of random encounters and a boss, and it only teaches things you could learn from other items already.
Riddler Trophies in Arkham City, mostly due to this.

(07-13-2015, 08:06 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: So, I spent the last 12 or so hours just playing through Arkham Knight so I could do all the side missions besides the Riddler stuff, because it takes so long to do and is very annoying, frustrating and tedious. Even with a guide.

I finished all the side missions and then went to do the final mission of the game. Once you complete it the game then tells you to "do one more side mission" so that you can do the final final part of the game. For anyone else they would've either done none of the side missions or done all of them, but for me. I had to do the riddler mission.

That's right I have to spend the next 12 hours or so collecting 243 different assortments of riddles, trophies and breakable objects. Even with a guide it's going to be fucking tedious.

So fucking stupid, it's like having to do so much shit in ME3 to get 100% combat readiness so you can get the good ending for the game.
(10-01-2016, 04:23 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: Most achievements don't actually do anything. If you can't complete all of them (of which that is very much a thing on Steam), its not worth the pursuit.

Xbox Achievements now give you money off purchases so there is a bonus of some kind.

After going back and playing a lot of my "backlog" like Binary Domain, and in relation to achievements, multiplayer just seems pointless. It's a wasted effort on the developer and results in some achievements being impossible to get now.
Thought of another one: Fusing Izanagi-no-Okami in P4.

Requirements:
Beat the game once with True Ending
Be at level 91
Perform a Dodecagon Spread Fusion

Why this sucks is because chances are you won't be at such a high level until you're nearly done with the game and, being at such a high level, you can destroy the final boss no problem without him with other Personas. It might only be nice for Margaret. You need 8 Personas to get him, so that means clearing your slots that potentially have Personas you'd like to keep and then paying to get the 8 need.

What really makes this an extra that's not really worth getting is because you can't register him. I guess they didn't want you to just cruise through any extra play throughs, but that's silly! Why not let a player do that, if that's what they want, considering it would be play through #3 next time?
If doing it as a one thing counts. I'm going to say the pit of a 100 trials from Paper Mario and The Thousand Year door. Looking back on it now. It just seems pointless just to go through 100 floors just to face a tougher version of Bonetail, and get a lazy badge that doesn't do much as a reward.
(Bravely Default Spoilers)

With rare exception, it really isn't worth investing in lockpicking in Fallout 4 because the game is setup for generic loot tables. So, a novice safe is the equivalent in content to the master safe, and the location doesn't matter.
Getting all of the Silver Keys in Fable: The Lost Chapters.
I mean, sure, you can get some pretty cool weapons from the chests (they usually looked more bada$$ and had some cool back stories), but by the time you can get them, maybe sooner, you can have an equivalent, especially with a trading exploit I found; during my time in Oakvale, I can spend 30 minutes and get millions in gold and own Master Weapons with multiple Augmentations.

It IS cool to have all of the Legendary Weapons, but when are you really going to use them?
Yeah, the whole "Jack sword" thing was completely ruined for me when I walked to the smithy in the next transition and got a better sword.