Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Nintendo Direct September 13th, 2017
Okay so let's summarize Nintendo's Direct, starting off with the Nintendo 3DS. Unsurprisingly, most of the best content is coming to that system. The Pokemon stuff was not the best of it though. It was okay to see Necrozma and some new Ultra beasts, but considering how scarce updates for these games, I would have liked to see more. The highlight was a 2DSXL that looks like a Pokeball, which is something I wouldn't buy anyways, so there's that.
Atlus is going full swing with 3DS though as several games heading for the system got a more info or a new trailer, such as Radiant Historia. A brand new game was dropped with a trailer as well called "The Resistance Alive" which despite the wonky name, looks like it will be a lot of fun. Not much given up for info in the trailer though, but I suggest you watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxRspCfgDc

They also said a demo for the new Etrian Odyssey game. Etrian Odyssey IV was dropping today
Mario was not left out of the 3DS party either has it got a new game called Mario Party: The top 100, which is going to be a title full of the top 100 Mario Party Minigames of the entire series. What's great about it is that you can have up to 4 people playing off of one game thanks to local play.

Minecraft is making it's way to the 3DS, which to me just makes a lot of sense, and it actually looks pretty good as well. The game will only work on New Nintendo 3DS systems though, but it makes sense. It's out now on the Eshop if anyone wants it, with a physical version coming later.

Kirby is getting a Battle Royale game on the 3DS, and it looks pretty alright. There will be multiple ways to battle other players, the game will have an online mode, and there's even a single player story. The game is set for release, January 19th.

Free DLC will be dropping for Yokai Watch 2 tomorrow which will allow players to get two S rank versions of popular Yo Kai Jibanyan and Komasan. There will also be new bosses in the Busters mode of the game and date from previous games can be transferred into Psychic Specters when it launches at the end of the Month.
Lady Layton, as I don't really want to call by it's changed name because it's just too long, got a quick update as well, and the game's launch date is set for October 6th.

The remake for Samus' adventure was also given a quick a mention, but there was nothing really new there and the game is only two days out, you probably already know everything you need to.
The new Ace Attorney game was given mere seconds of gameplay as it's planned November launch was mentioned with no exact date.

Finally, we got some Gameplay regarding the 3DS version of Fire Emblem Warriors, but damn it if it wasn't only a few seconds. At least we know it's actually coming out at the same time of October 20th for sure.
That's all for the 3DS Line-up that I saw worth mention, and while I'll probably be more critical with the Switch, it had some good releases as well.

No new Animal Crossing, nothing about Super Smash Bros, that's we open the Nintendo Switch portion of the direct review.

That's not to say there weren't things to talk about, but man that's not great either. First off the Direct spent way too much time rehashing old news regarding Square's Project Octopath Travelers, which they treated like a new game for some reason, and several Indies like Meatboy and that weird shooter that makes you change size as you kill things, even using clips from the Nintendo Indie games direct. They also rehashed information from Gamescom which was entirely uninteresting to watch. They did try to space out this information by putting in other things in between, but it was incredibly obvious what was going on.

They spent way too much time on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as well, possibly even more time than Super Mario Odyssey, and oh boy, we'll get to that. The things they mentioned though for this title were details we already knew, or things that are obvious to anyone who plays video games so there was really no reason for it at all.

They mentioned new stuff for the game Snipperclips such as new challenges and a way to do old ones by starting off as different shapes, but that really wasn't all that interesting.

Kirby: Star Allies which is the game for the Switch they had been keeping under wraps for a while was revealed and it was only okay. Nothing really stood out about it save for the part where King Dedede looked like the Joker at the end of the First Arkham game. It looks like it'll be fun, but I'm honestly more excited about the 3DS game.

Of course as was the theme for the Switch portion of the direct, they again mentioned something we already knew about and gave no new information about it with Skyrim on Nintendo Switch. Like, Nintendo, we get it, it's coming to the Switch and everyone who cares about that already knows, shut up. It's old news and people are getting sick of Skyrim and it's overabundance of ports.

Finally some good news came up with Doom and Wolfenstein II getting Switch ports although I don't believe Doom got an exact release date, but it's nice to see that they are taking ports of games seriously enough and respecting 3rd parties enough to put Doom on the Switch. I think they should probably port the first Wolfenstiein game to the Switch though, considering a lot of Nintendo fans may not have played the first one.

Fire Emblem Warriors got a new character which was expected after leaks late last night in Lyn and a short trailer follow, so it was good to see her there for a bit.

There were other things that came out during the Direct, but I really don't think any of them matter compared to what I've already mentioned. What is important, is to talk about Super Mario Odyssey and how pissed I am. The game was a mixed bad at the direct to say the least, but it was mostly crap. First off, they announced another new Kingdom which is basically a snow level, so goodbye to any secret Kingdoms as far as we know, but the thing that really pissed me off, as the Amiibo bit. They just confirmed, that there is a thing called Uncle Amiibo, which if you tap an Amiibo to the Switch while talking to him we will show you how to find a collectible that's required to advance in the game. So never mind using your skills or abilities, he'll just drop you a hint on how to get the item. What's worse is that if you don't want to use an Amiibo for that info, you can pay a toad that seems to stand right next to Uncle Amiibo, and pay him 50 coins for information, and hey if that's still not enough, there's a bird that will give you information for free. So basically there are three ways to get your hand held in a Mario game, and that's just stupid. I cannot believe something that dumb is happening, but it is so screw any challenge, you can find all you need through some stupidly easy to stupidly convoluted ways and remove the need for exploration in what is basically the most open world Mario game of all time. On the plus side, there is a very detailed photo mode for the game which looks pretty cool, but that doesn't balance out all the issues I have with the Mario Odyssey reveals. You can see everything I talked about with Mario here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcEOSHzmjBY

Overall I believe the Switch portion of the Direct was a downer and brought what probably would have been an solid 8 showing for Nintendo to a 6.5/10.