Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Favorite Link?
I was just thinking about how many different Links there are in The Legend of Zelda series, so I would like to know what everyones favorite Link is, in terms of their art style or their look or even personality or just because they're the Link from your favorite Zelda game. Mine is Toon Link, because of his art style and because he's from my favorite Zelda game.
What is your favorite Link?
Probably Toon Link as well. Links is one of those odd silent protagonists like Samus (pre-Other M), Master Chief or Gordon Freeman that can get away with doing nothing other than being a blank box, but for the reasons you stated (and more) is why I like Toon Link. The most expressive and lifeful(word?) Link we've had.
(05-03-2013, 06:32 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: Probably Toon Link as well. Links is one of those odd silent protagonists like Samus (pre-Other M), Master Chief or Gordon Freeman that can get away with doing nothing other than being a blank box, but for the reasons you stated (and more) is why I like Toon Link. The most expressive and lifeful(word?) Link we've had.

I wouldn't consider Masterchief a silent protagonist, just a protagonist who happens to not talk much. In Halo 4, however, that kinda ceases to exist because Chief talks in seemingly every moment he can get.

Samus was kinda weird for me, too, because Until Prime 2(and especially Prime 3) I had assumed Samus was not a silent protagonist, but a protagonist who was silent, only due to there being no one to talk to. In Super Metroid, she even goes as far as to talk about how she and some scientists talked about Metroids and whatnot before going back to bounty hunting. I was never a fan of Nintendo's choice in silent protagonists. I'm part of a minority of people who actually outright dislike silent protagonists.

...Er. Back to the subject at hand. I think I prefer Toon Link as well due to his expressiveness.
-Ocarina of Time Link (that game had my favorite graphics)
-Twilight Princess (very sharp, although I hated the whole wolf thing)
-and A Link to the Past Link (as close to liking the toons in the series as i'll get)
(05-03-2013, 08:51 PM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote: -Ocarina of Time Link (that game had my favorite graphics)
-and A Link to the Past Link (as close to liking the toons in the series as i'll get)

I hated the wolf thing, too! I would have loved the game more than any other if they'd simply made Twilight Princess a full on Link only game.
The animated series Link.
(05-03-2013, 10:10 PM)2D Brain Wrote: The animated series Link.

Psh. Well excuuuuuuse me, Princess.
(05-03-2013, 08:34 PM)Newt Wrote:
(05-03-2013, 06:32 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: Probably Toon Link as well. Links is one of those odd silent protagonists like Samus (pre-Other M), Master Chief or Gordon Freeman that can get away with doing nothing other than being a blank box, but for the reasons you stated (and more) is why I like Toon Link. The most expressive and lifeful(word?) Link we've had.

I wouldn't consider Masterchief a silent protagonist, just a protagonist who happens to not talk much. In Halo 4, however, that kinda ceases to exist because Chief talks in seemingly every moment he can get.

Samus was kinda weird for me, too, because Until Prime 2(and especially Prime 3) I had assumed Samus was not a silent protagonist, but a protagonist who was silent, only due to there being no one to talk to. In Super Metroid, she even goes as far as to talk about how she and some scientists talked about Metroids and whatnot before going back to bounty hunting. I was never a fan of Nintendo's choice in silent protagonists. I'm part of a minority of people who actually outright dislike silent protagonists.

...Er. Back to the subject at hand. I think I prefer Toon Link as well due to his expressiveness.

I guess your right about Samus. It's an interesting perspective and very much true actually. Who does can she talk to? I guess characters like Gordan Freeman and Link who aren't restricted by their environment and NPCs don't have an excuse for being silent.
Pink haired link is best link.
(05-03-2013, 08:53 PM)Newt Wrote:
(05-03-2013, 08:51 PM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote: -Ocarina of Time Link (that game had my favorite graphics)

I hated the wolf thing, too! I would have loved the game more than any other if they'd simply made Twilight Princess a full on Link only game.

Right! Or even be able to switch back and forth from the beginning would have been ok. Not being able to use my sword and shield didn't feel right.
(05-04-2013, 08:57 PM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote:

Right! Or even be able to switch back and forth from the beginning would have been ok. Not being able to use my sword and shield didn't feel right.

The problem I had with it is I have "expectations" when I purchase a game. I know everyone does, but lemme explain.(You'll probably still say "Yeah. Everyone expects that.") When I buy a game, I expect it to be what it's always been. Small changes are okay to me. As a matter of fact, if they're improvements on previous things the franchise was famous for, I'll likely dig it.

It's when the game decides to be a different genre for no reason that makes me get grumpy.

Being a wolf bummed me out, because I just wanted to be Link. I wanted to run around a sword and cut things. Whenever I had to play as the wolf, it was a chore for me, and I didn't like that.

Kinda like, if you're a Mega Man fan, I wanted to enjoy Mega Man X8. I really did. And seemingly most fans enjoy it, too. But there's like, four maps that are just platformy that don't feel Mega Manish at all.

Or whenever shooters are like "Okay, it's time to drive this vehicle with poorly designed driving mechanics and have an exciting driving scene." I just want to shoot aliens, guys. I don't want to drive a car.
(05-04-2013, 09:31 PM)Newt Wrote:

The problem I had with it is I have "expectations" when I purchase a game. I know everyone does, but lemme explain.(You'll probably still say "Yeah. Everyone expects that.") When I buy a game, I expect it to be what it's always been. Small changes are okay to me. As a matter of fact, if they're improvements on previous things the franchise was famous for, I'll likely dig it.

It's when the game decides to be a different genre for no reason that makes me get grumpy.

Being a wolf bummed me out, because I just wanted to be Link. I wanted to run around a sword and cut things. Whenever I had to play as the wolf, it was a chore for me, and I didn't like that.

Kinda like, if you're a Mega Man fan, I wanted to enjoy Mega Man X8. I really did. And seemingly most fans enjoy it, too. But there's like, four maps that are just platformy that don't feel Mega Manish at all.

Or whenever shooters are like "Okay, it's time to drive this vehicle with poorly designed driving mechanics and have an exciting driving scene." I just want to shoot aliens, guys. I don't want to drive a car.

Regarding the wolf ability in Twilight Princess. You know by looking at the cover and just reading about TP what you're in for when purchasing TP. You shouldn't fault the game for something you knew you didn't want to experience. Just my thoughts.
(05-05-2013, 12:18 AM)JiraiyaSannin Wrote:

Regarding the wolf ability in Twilight Princess. You know by looking at the cover and just reading about TP what you're in for when purchasing TP. You shouldn't fault the game for something you knew you didn't want to experience. Just my thoughts.

Granted. More than granted. However, a new console Zelda game seemingly only comes out once every few years. Consider the following:
OoT: 1998
Majora's Mask: 2000
Wind Waker: 2002
Twilight Princess: 2006
Skyward Sword: 2012

Now, I understand games like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks came out between said gaps, but not all of us have a handheld system, and most of my argument is about the console Zeldas themselves. If, for example, I genuinely did not enjoy Twilight Princess due to the Wolf thing. Like, the game outright was not fun for me, then that means it'd be a whole decade for me, before a Zelda game with no gimmick came out. Now, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess. But it is kind of a bummer when you wait four years for a new game to come out, just to have to play as a wolf for a large portion of the game.
(05-05-2013, 12:46 AM)Newt Wrote:
(05-05-2013, 12:18 AM)JiraiyaSannin Wrote:
(05-03-2013, 08:53 PM)Newt Wrote: I hated the wolf thing, too! I would have loved the game more than any other if they'd simply made Twilight Princess a full on Link only game.

Granted. More than granted. However, a new console Zelda game seemingly only comes out once every few years. Consider the following:
OoT: 1998
Majora's Mask: 2000
Wind Waker: 2002
Twilight Princess: 2006
Skyward Sword: 2012

Now, I understand games like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks came out between said gaps, but not all of us have a handheld system, and most of my argument is about the console Zeldas themselves. If, for example, I genuinely did not enjoy Twilight Princess due to the Wolf thing. Like, the game outright was not fun for me, then that means it'd be a whole decade for me, before a Zelda game with no gimmick came out. Now, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess. But it is kind of a bummer when you wait four years for a new game to come out, just to have to play as a wolf for a large portion of the game.

I'm probably one of the very few people that enjoyed Wolf Link. It's not a new mechanic either' Link being turned into a rabbit in ALttP for example. It also allowed you to explore new areas or look at the world through an alternate perspective.
(05-05-2013, 03:56 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: I'm probably one of the very few people that enjoyed Wolf Link. It's not a new mechanic either' Link being turned into a rabbit in ALttP for example. It also allowed you to explore new areas or look at the world through an alternate perspective.

I actually had ALttP in mind when I posted that. I kept thinking about being stuck as a rabbit. Being a rabbit was interesting.