Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What other forums/messageboards have you been a part of?
If an admin feels like a thread about other forums isn't okay, feel free to delete or lock this thread. I thought about making this after all the forum stories told in the chit-chat thread. I'm not asking for links or anything but simply the name or even what the forum is about does suffice, preferably with a little something to go with it, like what was the place like and is anything noteworthy happened. If this gets the green light I'll post my own forum history too.
When the internet first came out and was still up-and-coming, I was pretty big on a Green Day forum.

Other than that, just this one and DYKG.

Most are full of idiots and I prefer to stay away as opposed to joining and complaining about it.
Guess I'll kick off this thread. I've been apart of the following:

Mugen Fighters' Guild (And some other sites like this one.)

-I used to post there alot back when I thought MUGEN was "da shit" and worked on some characters (Along with some sprite and sound ripping) of my own that were garbage in comparison to the original work. (Also giving feedback on junk I had no business to critique.) Not sure why I stop posting, there were some really cool kats on that forums.

Aftershock Forums

-A place where some friends and people that are not friends sat around and post in a circle-jerky kind of way. (And I was admin of.) The point of the site was to act as a hub for the "Podcast" the group liked to do about video games and were really really bad. (Seriously, they're bad.) Only note-worthy thing I remember coming from that site was the Sig contests that were held there. (And I won one of them. *Flexes*)

Something Awful

-I like this site. I like it a lot. It's a mega community based around making fun of stupid things and showing off your craft. Whether it's a photoshop thread asking posters to photoshop Hank Hill doing something gross or if it's just a simple "Post Your Favorite" thread for favorite anime characters and someone posted a picture of Anime Hitler; there's something to read and laugh at. I mostly go there for the Let's play sub-forum (Let's Plays; you should know what this is.), goontube (synctube+funny video=beer Party!!! Not to mention a lot of the videos I post in the youtube thread come from goontube), the flash tub, the programming sub-forum (Where you post some code that other posters will laugh at and point out what you did wrong), and lastly the anime subforum (though I don't post there, because it's easy to get banned there for acting like an anime nerd, and there are anime nerds way too nerdy to even begin to talk about anything anime.) Additionally, I also like to read who got banned on daily basis, because the mods/admins usually will have a joke to go with their reason for banning you. Like this one:

Quote:He can not possibly be the worst while you are still allowed to post, so for three days I going to make both our dreams come true. For you it will be that (0886987) is the worst post, for me it will be that you are not posting. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

I'm sure there are more, but by now I can't remember them or didn't care enough about them to make mention of them.
Let's see here...

Rock Band (Perma-Banned, IP banned) - Forum for the games
Tunelab (Perma-Banned, IP banned) - Was just a music board, really
Xiled Gaming (Clan, no longer part of)
H2o (Clan, no longer part of)
KSI (Clan, no longer part of)
New Found Gaming (Clan, which is dead)
Revolution Gaming (Clan, no longer part of)
Hawthorne Heights (I was a mod, closed due to spam)
Shallow Bay (Breaking Benjamin forum, closed for who knows how long)
Minecraft Forum
Minecraft Survival Games (banned)
DidYouKnowGaming (moved to VGFacts)
VGFacts
GameFAQ's

I think that's it, really.
DesudesBrigade Forums - The one I moderate and the first forum I really ever posted it and always go to first. While the site is dead since the reviews disbanded, the forums are still existent with members. Animu affiliated

Teh Pwn Shop - Second most active forum I'm in. Video game affiliated

ScrewAttack - Video Game Affiliated

LunarDreams - Hard to classify as it's mixed.

NSider2 - Video Game Affiliated

Ichimonia - Anime/Video game affiliated

Voletic - Video game affiliated, though now dead.

DoujinStyle - Touhou/Doujin affiliated

AnimeSuki - Anime affiliated

MAL Forums - Anime affiliated

Legion 34 - Anime/LoL related. Also a mod there, though not very active

Did You Know Gaming/VG facts of course.

Those are the ones at the top of my head, though there are others.
Not really that much to be honest and trying to keep as steady as possible. Besides I rarely post in forums since simply I don't have much to say or want I want to say, can't really say it.

Sonic Vegemite (dead AFAIK) - This was a hoaxing website where you posted Sonic based hoaxes ran by an Austrailian and they had a forum, it was okay back in 2005. There were some friendly people there but then again I only stayed at the hoaxes section. Besides despite the name, they hardly talked about Sonic at all and it was a really tight inner circle that couldn't get into.

SMSPower - The more technical side of the two Master System forums, didn't say much since they are really smart people there who research the console, the owner dumps the ROMS from cartridges and even categorises everything from the covers to the exact ROM chip used.

SMSTributes - The more carefree side of the two Master System forums, again didn't say much and they are again a really tight inner circle to crack but if you play Master System games a lot it is okay.

Pixeltendo (predecessor to tSR forums, now more or less dead) - I only stayed at the Submissions part of the forum due to that in the forum you had to have a certain kind of humour to fit in there so it was not really a full picture. Some people really liked the forums and some didn't to the point where the forum was split into two. It was strange since if I joined the forums way back from the beginning, it was a different and calmer atmosphere.

tSR Community - [For people who might not know, it is a sprite/texture/sound effect/model ripping place] Like with Pixeltendo, I stay at the Submissions part but it is friendly enough but in the future, it might be getting less and less due to less sprite games (Pokemon/Mario & Luigi are now in 3D) so the place is getting more quietier. There is also sprite creations as well that are pretty good but no good at anything creative.

Sprite Database - Barely posted at all since let's just say the game that I was ripping from was not suitable for the site even though it didn't say in the rules. Oops. Anyway, it is a quiet place but not really for me since it is more anime focused.

Here (VGFacts) - Newest forum that I have joined, it seems pretty good so far but have a hunch that the old out of place scenario is going to kick it. Yeah, nothing bad here at all.

Youchew - It was originally a forum to post silly video edits on Youtube called poops but now it is the typical talk about anime/Steam games/Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, RPGs/bad TV forum and has a Something Awful vibe there. Since I have posted there for 5 years it changed dramatically, it was at first a calm and peaceful place run by an admin from Jersey to an full American forum with some Finnish people on the side and a couple of English too. The atmosphere changed and well can't really say much but it is basically inner circle among inner circle like you have the tennis players in the tennis cafe section [and even then there are two inner circles there now, one who is strongly into anime and one into Pokemon] that don't talk to the Off Topic, vice versa and the people who do still video edit don't go to the other sections at all. It is a broken base of a forum. The reason I left was due to admin trouble and felt out of place, didn't break any rules or anything bad.

Planet Freedom (sister forum to Youchew) - See the above but only opened due to an admin conflict and now it is only open if the main forum is down.

Sega-16 - Pretty much the only place you can talk about Mega Drive [Genesis] games and has lots of useful information as well. Again, they have a tight inner circle due to the long time members so they have jokes that you can't understand and are linked too like Praise Raul [since some people really like Raul Julia there] and Mr Smith Wants You Banned so he can become President of the United States. There are also a couple of unwanted members but apart from that, it is okay but again don't really fit in there well.

There are other places that I joined but only made a couple of posts since I am more of a lurker than a poster. At one time, I posted at the TvTome forums and I was accused of being a spammer [just for posting something about AoSTH] and was going to get banned or warned but the very next day, it was wiped clean and became Tv.com so luckily I didn't get banned or warned since I didn't exist. Heeheehee.
I've had the oddest forums joined I guess.

My first forum was Chao Island, I still go there a lot. It was my first forum I ever went on, hell I only joined because of a SA2B hype I had, and I thought Chao were the biggest thing ever, they were so fun to take care of, and when I saw Chao Island videos and such, I thought it was a huge site as well, turned out it's about 100 or so users talking about Chao, and then this soon stopped, and it's just a normal discussion site, and nothing more, and I see no real reason to leave, even though I've been on that site since 2008.

The next forum I joined was Want Midna Back. This sort of came about randomly, I thought this was some huge collaboration project between thousands of members, and I thought by joining I could be part of the whole "hurr I was the reason Midna came back" crowd, but of course, I left and came back a lot, and I don't really do much there.

Finally, there came DYKG. When I found out the site had a forum, I wanted to go on to be able to get some DYK's out there with my name on it, and 10 or so of them did, and I was really happy about that, and of course, VGFacts came after, but it's more or less because I didn't want to lose you guys when we transferred.

Also, writing this while listening to "Corridors of Time" from Chrono Trigger was oddly fitting.

(05-20-2013, 01:06 PM)A Zombie Riot Wrote: Let's see here...

Rock Band (Perma-Banned, IP banned) - Forum for the games
Tunelab (Perma-Banned, IP banned) - Was just a music board, really
Xiled Gaming (Clan, no longer part of)
H2o (Clan, no longer part of)
KSI (Clan, no longer part of)
New Found Gaming (Clan, which is dead)
Revolution Gaming (Clan, no longer part of)
Hawthorne Heights (I was a mod, closed due to spam)
Shallow Bay (Breaking Benjamin forum, closed for who knows how long)
Minecraft Forum
Minecraft Survival Games (banned)
DidYouKnowGaming (moved to VGFacts)
VGFacts
GameFAQ's

I think that's it, really.

I love how you've been banned from more than half your forums you've been on, and yet, you're a moderator right now.
I used to be a member of Gaia Online. I was part of a RP guild but got a virus on my computer. My little 4th-5th grader mind felt guilty and thought they thought I died, but by the time I got back to it, someone had hacked my account, stole all my stuff and I just stopped caring about all the little mini games that used to take up my time.

Then there was this weird place full of monsters called Did You Know Gaming. They were classy monsters though. I can't much judge horror movie creatures anymore until they do something bad because of them.
I really like small forums because you can get to know everybody and not just keep posting and replying to strangers. As a result, the majority of forums I'd tried to be a part of died and were deleted.

Besides this one I like the blog and forum section on My Figure Collection, but I don't use them daily.

There's a Darkwing Duck forum, but it should pretty much be considered dead. I haven't posted in months.

I used to post on the Deviant Art forums but I don't like them anymore.

I was at the First4Figures forum but was banned because I was so pissed off about their quality control I decided to keep track about how frequently people experienced the same problem. They didn't want to address it, plus it's bad for business, so my account was deleted.
This is the only one I have ever joined and been active on.
(05-20-2013, 03:46 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: I love how you've been banned from more than half your forums you've been on, and yet, you're a moderator right now.

I've only been banned on 3 forums. When I say that I'm no longer part of it, I quit. And that's only speaking about the clans.
Wait... there are other forums?
(05-20-2013, 07:46 PM)A Zombie Riot Wrote:
(05-20-2013, 03:46 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: I love how you've been banned from more than half your forums you've been on, and yet, you're a moderator right now.

I've only been banned on 3 forums. When I say that I'm no longer part of it, I quit. And that's only speaking about the clans.

Oh crap, I was a bit tired then, I thought that all of the brackets were "banned".
I've been on far too many forums to keep count. Now though, I only actively post here and The Spriters Resource Community (since I run it as well)...
(05-21-2013, 02:06 AM)retrolinkx Wrote:
(05-20-2013, 07:46 PM)A Zombie Riot Wrote:

Oh crap, I was a bit tired then, I thought that all of the brackets were "banned".

The parenthesis, and I was just giving a little detail about it and my status on it.