Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Xbox One privacy policies are confirmed
But there is still something left up in the air. The whole loaning and renting games. They haven't ruled it out, but they're working on how that's actually going to work.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/main

A Modern Connected device

Quote:Xbox One will deliver new benefits for gamers that are only possible with a system designed from the ground up to be ready and connected. Here are just a few examples:

- A new generation of games with power from the cloud: Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing.

- Your Xbox One is always ready: Xbox One is designed to run in a low-powered, connected state. This means your system, games and apps are always current and ready to play—no more waiting for updates.

- Stay connected to your friends: Never miss an opportunity to play games with your friends or to catch up with family on Skype. Use Skype in Snap mode to chat while you play games or watch TV. Or enjoy group video Skype calls with people around the world, all from the comfort of your living room.

- Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

- Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release.

Networking Technologies

A range of advanced technologies will make these scenarios possible, including:

- Superior wireless performance and coverage throughout the home: Xbox One is equipped with a gigabit Ethernet port and 802.11n wireless. With 802.11n, Xbox One can use the 5GHz wireless band which eliminates considerable interference from other devices in the home, such as cordless phones, Bluetooth devices and microwaves. Xbox One uses two wireless antennas, versus one in Xbox 360. This provides dramatically better coverage and sustained performance, which means faster internet speeds in more areas of your home.

- Faster connection to a world of smart devices: With Wi-Fi Direct, Xbox One can speak directly to smart wireless devices and connect to them through the cloud. This means your smartphone or tablet will interact with Xbox One seamlessly.

- Future proofed with power from the cloud: Microsoft has created a global network of more than 300,000 Xbox Live and Windows Azure servers, to help creators realize their visions of what is possible with a connected system.

Networking Requirements

To ensure Xbox One works optimally and can offer the experiences described above, it is designed with the following networking requirements:

- For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps). In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.

- While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

At Xbox, we’ve always believed in a connected world of games and entertainment. With Xbox One, we are planning for a connected future. We can’t wait to show you what’s to come.

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

Quote:With our modern architecture, Xbox One games will load more quickly, will be always accessible from the cloud, and there is no physical limit to the size or scope of the content provided.

Here are our platform policies and capabilities for game licensing – all of which will be made available when Xbox One launches later this year:

- Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

- Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

- Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

- Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

- Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

- Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

As we move into this new generation of games and entertainment, from time to time, Microsoft may change its policies, terms, products and services to reflect modifications and improvements to our services, feedback from customers and our business partners or changes in our business priorities and business models or for other reasons. We may also cease to offer certain services or products for similar reasons.

In the months ahead, we will continue to listen to your feedback as we meet with our partners in the ecosystem to bring additional detail about our policies.

We are excited about this new generation of games and entertainment and look forward to sharing more news with our fans.

Privacy by Design: How Xbox One and the New Kinect Sensor Put You in Control

Quote:Xbox One and Kinect offer easy and approachable ways to control your games and entertainment with your voice and gestures. By recognizing you, Xbox One can tailor personal experiences and customize content just for you.

At Microsoft, we prioritize your privacy. We understand that your personal data and privacy are important. Xbox One and Kinect will provide tools to put you in control of your data. These include:

- You are in control of what Kinect can see and hear: By design, you will determine how responsive and personalized your Xbox One is to you and your family during setup. The system will navigate you through key privacy options, like automatic or manual sign in, privacy settings, and clear notifications about how data is used. When Xbox One is on and you’re simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded.

- You are in control of when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused: If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off.” When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences.

- You are in control of your personal data: You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission. Here are a few examples of potential future scenarios:
-A fitness game could measure heart rate data to provide you with improved feedback on your workout, allow you to track your progress, or even measure calories burned.
-A card game could allow you to bluff your virtual opponent using your facial expressions.

- You can use other inputs to control your games, TV and entertainment experiences: While it’s faster to find what you’re looking for using your voice and gesture commands with Kinect, you can use a controller, your remote controls or your smart devices instead. And you can use all of these devices when Kinect is paused.

We’ll have more information available as we get closer to product availability later this year.

My opinions, copied straight from a GameFAQ's post:

Honestly, I have no complaints here. Before all of this, I did. The used game thing was my biggest problem, and with all of this, it seems that nothing really changes with how I play anyways.

The only thing I'm waiting to be cleared up is the whole "Loaning and renting games" thing. Because I am a huge renter. If I can't rent games on the Xbox One from like Gamefly, then I don't want it.

I barely ever buy used anyways. The last games I got used were Bioshock and Bioshock 2. And before that was Battlefield 3, but I already bought the online pass before I bought it used, so it didn't really hurt anything.

Please, keep the bashing down to a minimum, or none at all. There's a designated thread for that, so please use it if you absolutely have to.
"With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary
console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console
accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these
prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still
watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies"

I consider this a dick move. Was reasonable minus this.
They do it because of the cloud service, which I am SURE the PS4 will be the same. I could be wrong, but I know they're using Gaikai for their PS3 game streaming service, and that does require an internet connection.

Like I said, the internet connection thing doesn't bother me. I know it will bother others, but it doesn't bother me.
It bothers me. I don't have any internet services available to me that are as fast as that recommended speed. Sorry that I happen to live in the middle of nowhere, Microsoft.
(06-06-2013, 09:39 PM)A Zombie Riot Wrote: - A new generation of games with power from the cloud: Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing.
Not everyone Xbox ONE owner will have a broadband connection, even for those that do such as myself, often prefer to play offline. Microsoft are making cloud service sound like an amazing feature when really, it's there to see if you pirated their games. As for world evolving, bullshit. Gears of War 3 had server side updates which meant they could update the games whenever the player went online for specific events or special modes.
And the obvious, "XBOX LIVE SERVICE IS DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE".
or
"My broadband connection hasn't been paid/isn't on". Enjoy not having access to your games.

- Your Xbox One is always ready: Xbox One is designed to run in a low-powered, connected state. This means your system, games and apps are always current and ready to play—no more waiting for updates.
First world problems. I'm a lazy sack of crap who desperately needs to have instant access to my Xbox ONE system. I'm not a tree hugger but leaving stuff turned on/in a low powered state is still using electricity and therefore bad for the environment. Serious question to everyone, have you ever faced the difficulty of turning on a console to the point that you needed voice commands? ...and what about those who are mutes?

- Stay connected to your friends: Never miss an opportunity to play games with your friends or to catch up with family on Skype. Use Skype in Snap mode to chat while you play games or watch TV. Or enjoy group video Skype calls with people around the world, all from the comfort of your living room.
Who honestly plays the Xbox in the living AND would also have the urge to Skype call someone during a game?

Again, first world problems. What's the issue with physically taking games to a friends house? As for me in the U.K the Internet isn't that good either....most of the world isn't ready for this type of service

- Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release.
That's good. Better be cheaper than retail release though.

Networking Technologies

A range of advanced technologies will make these scenarios possible, including:

- Superior wireless performance and coverage throughout the home: Xbox One is equipped with a gigabit Ethernet port and 802.11n wireless. With 802.11n, Xbox One can use the 5GHz wireless band which eliminates considerable interference from other devices in the home, such as cordless phones, Bluetooth devices and microwaves. Xbox One uses two wireless antennas, versus one in Xbox 360. This provides dramatically better coverage and sustained performance, which means faster internet speeds in more areas of your home.
Meanwhile in the rest of the entire world who#s country hasn't caught up to maximum speeds yet....

- Faster connection to a world of smart devices: With Wi-Fi Direct, Xbox One can speak directly to smart wireless devices and connect to them through the cloud. This means your smartphone or tablet will interact with Xbox One seamlessly.
....and I care because?

- Future proofed with power from the cloud: Microsoft has created a global network of more than 300,000 Xbox Live and Windows Azure servers, to help creators realize their visions of what is possible with a connected system.
....and yet, we'll still have NAT problems in parties and games

Networking Requirements

To ensure Xbox One works optimally and can offer the experiences described above, it is designed with the following networking requirements:

- For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps). In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.
Can't afford to pay more for my broadband

- While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.
As in, we're just making sure you didn't pirate games or install homebrew.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
So....what if my broadband is down for a couple of days? Or I live in the middle of nowehere? Or I just want to play offline for a while? Or we're at tournaments where online isn't used(EVO)? Or .... You'd have to be a massive toolbag to not see the obvious BS they're saying. They want online DRM for all games.

At Xbox, we’ve always believed in a connected world of games and entertainment. With Xbox One, we are planning for a connected future. We can’t wait to show you what’s to come.
FIFA Hackings, NAT party problems, NAT Game problems, laggy connections, host servers, no dedicated servers, Xbox LIVE maintenance and more BS you paid for but could get free on WiiU, PS4 and PC.

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

Quote:With our modern architecture, Xbox One games will load more quickly, will be always accessible from the cloud, and there is no physical limit to the size or scope of the content provided.
...apart from that 500GB storage on your Xbox

Here are our platform policies and capabilities for game licensing – all of which will be made available when Xbox One launches later this year:

- Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.
...if you live in Korea

I admit, that's cool, but this is Microsoft, so what's the catch?

- Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
You mean like....gaming always has been. How is that a feature?

- Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
Mum, you wanna come plays some Street Fighter 4!?

- Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.
+1 Micro$oft

More BS and how "great" the Kinect is.

Man there's so much BS there.

How gaming used to be
Put game in > Play game
E3 in a few days so we'll see what else is coming out. But this is all fancy sugar coating bullshit.
"Look at all these cool features". These aren't features but ways for us to stop you from doing what you want with your own hardware/software.

"You're only allowed to play your game if". This is basically a £40/$60 rental service with Microsoft giving us permission when we can and can't play. They don't take other people/topics into consideration. We don't care about those who are disabled and can't use Kinect for voice and body recognition. We don't take in the fact the console is always turned on. We don't take into the fact that you can't do what you want with your games, we wanna know what you're doing. Plus, it's made for your generic American family with first world problems like: getting out of the sofa to turn the console on or change the channel by using their thumb.
Nothing is good about this.
#XboxPissOff
After look at this some more, it makes me wonder if Microsoft ever thought of anyone outside of the US and Canada.
[Image: tumblr_mo096e2olj1su01nco1_500.jpg]

I just saw that one tumblr, checked the site out myself and was about to link it here, but I see it has already been done.

For the love of your god, the (maybe not even real) new Banjo-Kazooie better not be on this piece of shit.

(06-07-2013, 07:58 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: How gaming used to be
Put game in > Play game

How gaming should be
Put game in > Play game
As I said on facebook to the friend who posted the same exact thing, the lending and renting games, though not available at launch, is still a thing Microsoft is going to work on.

It''s like the person who made that didn't read everything and jumped to conclusions.

(06-07-2013, 10:46 AM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote: I just saw that one tumblr, checked the site out myself and was about to link it here, but I see it has already been done.

For the love of your god, the (maybe not even real) new Banjo-Kazooie better not be on this piece of shit.

Put game in > Play game

How gaming should be
Put game in > Play game

How gaming is
Put in game -> Play game

How you guys have that worded, putting the game in is greater than playing the game....
(06-07-2013, 11:37 AM)A Zombie Riot Wrote: As I said on facebook to the friend who posted the same exact thing, the lending and renting games, though not available at launch, is still a thing Microsoft is going to work on.

It''s like the person who made that didn't read everything and jumped to conclusions.

(06-07-2013, 10:46 AM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote: I just saw that one tumblr, checked the site out myself and was about to link it here, but I see it has already been done.

Put game in > Play game

How gaming should be
Put game in > Play game

How gaming is
Put in game -> Play game

How you guys have that worded, putting the game in is greater than playing the game....

Excuse us for not making it painfully clear enough that we were making arrows, not "greater than" symbols. I didn't know this was a math forum.
"Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for
cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you
to trade in your games at participating retailers."

That is still concerning. It's relieving to know there's no fee, but what if there are publishers that refuse to allow their games to be sold or traded? And if they do allow it, what if they decide to give asinine requirements?
(06-07-2013, 12:32 PM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote: Excuse us for not making it painfully clear enough that we were making arrows, not "greater than" symbols. I didn't know this was a math forum.

You mean to tell me you don't have a BA in complex algorithms? I think we're going to have to ban you.
(06-07-2013, 12:32 PM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote:
(06-07-2013, 11:37 AM)A Zombie Riot Wrote: As I said on facebook to the friend who posted the same exact thing, the lending and renting games, though not available at launch, is still a thing Microsoft is going to work on.

Put game in > Play game

How gaming should be
Put game in > Play game

How gaming is
Put in game -> Play game

Excuse us for not making it painfully clear enough that we were making arrows, not "greater than" symbols. I didn't know this was a math forum.

The symbols aren't just used in math.
(06-07-2013, 12:53 PM)A Zombie Riot Wrote:
(06-07-2013, 12:32 PM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote:

Put game in > Play game

How gaming should be
Put game in > Play game

How gaming is
Put in game -> Play game

The symbols aren't just used in math.

Add programing if you want, it does not matter. Zombie come on man stop acting smart alleck-y.
Nah, once everyone stops being a baby I'll stop.
(06-07-2013, 01:04 PM)A Zombie Riot Wrote: Nah, once everyone stops being a baby I'll stop.

That's how a mod should act...
*golf clap*

You know, if this thread bothers you so much then why don't you just ignore them and/or stop making these threads. I mean I am sorry that people are bashing the xbone and Microsoft for their decisions and what not but for you, a mod, to act like you are is really not a good idea. Just relax and go do something else. E3 is right around the corner anyways.