Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Is sonic just as legendary as mario?
I don't see anyone mentioning how sonic revolutionized the game industry or if sonic introduced something that wasn't in video games back then. Its always noted that mario is more revolutionary than sonic.

Doesn't sonic get just the respect like Mario does.

To be honest, I'm more of a Mario fan. Its just that I feel sorry for the blue blur.
Mario games had the advantage of coming out first and being able to do transitions on consoles really well, with the one on the Nintendo 64 being a staple for the 3D shift. Plus, in my opinion, I just enjoy Mario games much more.

If you want to see more love for Sonic, go to a Furry site/con or just go to DeviantArt. There's even a special game on there just for him.
I don't think he is on Marios level, but he is up there close to him.
Mario is probably more revolutionary then Sonic because of the string of bad games that Sega released for sonic.
I've haven't played a lot of them, but most people don't seem to like the games. I don't think Mario has had any bad games. (CD-I doesn't count. It doesn't exist.)
You must understand, that though they both be of legendary stature, a legend is only a great as what is be based upon, and Sonic has only recently began his redemption.
He definitely used to be. I think in the public eye he's more of a nostalgic character rather than a current.
Yes.

What, you were expecting more? Tough luck.
Yes, especially in Europe. He is also legendary of having a very bad game as well that people can recognise (Mario is more consistant).

If you want me to be honest, Sonic 1 introduced more a danger element [it wasn't about the speed like they were advertising, Super Mario World is actually faster than Sonic 1] to a platformer with more physics and momentum based platforming and Sonic 2 introduced 2 player competitive multiplayer in a platformer. Even Super Mario Bros. isn't as revolutionary as Nintendo says it is since it is Pitfall mixed with Pac-Land with boss battles compared to say Donkey Kong or Mario Bros where they both started genres. Sadly younger people wouldn't know what Pitfall, Pac-Land, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy and Miner2049er are even though they are all platformers before SMB. Both Mario and Sonic games are evolutionary than revolutionary most of the time [except Super Mario 64 due to obvious reasons].
Old Sonic yes. It's what a lot of the older gamerbase know and love. The newer Sonics have changed to the point a lot of older games shun them. Though games like Sonic Adventure and Generations are well worth playing. Mario hasn't really progressed and is pretty much the face of the industry.
Not really at the moment due to a few games I will not mention.

*cough* Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Edgyhog, Sonic 06 *cough*
But in terms of music don't you think that Sonic games have some of the greatest compositions of songs? I mean only a few mario games have good music where the rest of them just remix familiar songs from the past games.
Not to sound rude, but music alone will not make one series legendary compared to another.
That is the thing though. With Mario, you know what you're getting and with Sonic, if you haven't been searching, you are gambling.
(06-17-2013, 10:45 AM)Artwark Wrote: But in terms of music don't you think that Sonic games have some of the greatest compositions of songs? I mean only a few mario games have good music where the rest of them just remix familiar songs from the past games.

Well if I wanted masterpiece music I would look for a musician, but Sonic is not a musician therefore music is not what makes his status.
I'd say so.

Sega tried to kick Nintendo off their throne, and Sonic tried to do the same with Mario.