Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What are your favorite 2D(animated) video games?
Since most 2D games are getting popularity in the indie market. I thought it would be nice to have a topic regarding on the games that aren't 3D animated. I'm not talking about gameplay wise 2D. I'm talking about the art of games that are 2D animated. Titles like Dragon's Lair, Braindead 13, Leisure Suit Larry: Love for sail and Curse of Monkey Island just to name of a few.

What are your favorite 2D animated games? Remember, I'm talking about the art not the gameplay 2D. One of my favorites is Wario Land Shake it. The fact that Wario's actions whenever he gets hurt is funny to watch as its in a cartoony matter. The same thing can be said for the characters look in Wario Ware Smooth moves(although some parts of the game had the use of 3D). Curse of Monkey Island also marks a favorite of mine since it feels like your watching an animated film of Monkey Island.
Easy topic, considering two of my all time favorite games are Cave Story and Heart of Darkness.

I also love the Metal Slug series, especially MS3, and the BlazBlue series.

Btw. Do you count isometric? As in kind of 2.5D.
I dont know. I never heard of that game.
(10-15-2013, 03:19 PM)CLXcool Wrote: I dont know. I never heard of that game.

I think it's the isometric style that Super Mario RPG use for example.
The old Super Mario Bros 1.
Its the best.
Of course, I only played it, like, a few times, but...
(10-15-2013, 03:40 PM)pAroxizm Wrote:
(10-15-2013, 03:19 PM)CLXcool Wrote: I dont know. I never heard of that game.

I think it's the isometric style that Super Mario RPG use for example.

This.
[Image: ewj2-psone.jpg]
I still think Ghost Trick is very impressive in terms of it's art style, it reminds me of a game I would've seen on the Mega Drive, where Sega where trying to show off games a kin to Another World that made the console stand out.
Favorite 2d game artstyle of all time for me are.

1. The Professor Layton series.
2. Cave Story
3. Rayman
4. Curse of Monkey Island
5. Sonic the hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
6. Yoshi's Island
7. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
and finally
8. Claw
oh and
9. Paper Mario: The thousand year door
oh and
10. Super Mario World
I love all games that I played except for the ones that I don't like because all games that I played are great and that's what matters!
If we're talking about traditional animation and not bits, pixels or what have you, it would have to be a tie between Rayman Origins and Dragon's Crown, leaning more towards Rayman Origins for its cartoonish visuals. Rayman Origin is such a gorgeous looking game, not to mention a solid title that plays very well as it is whereas Dragon's Crown art style requires... an acquired taste, but none need acquire anything to appreciate how stunning these games look.
[Image: 184087-starcraft.png]
^Swarm Simulator 2000
(10-17-2013, 04:29 PM)Mass Distraction Wrote: ^Swarm Simulator 2000

Swarm stomping day 1999*
My favorite 2D game as far as art went was Chrono Trigger, but the game itself was really awesome. What is more surprising is that the level of maturity sometimes found in the game was refreshing (I played it when I was around 14-15 (I'm 25 now, god I'm old)) for the fact that most gamers at the time this came out were younger than when I first played it.
^This is exactly what I was talking about. Did you (OP) mean strictly 2D environments or do you also count isometric with 2D graphics?

Because if so then there's literally every single SRPG ever made and every Final Fantasy from I to VI.