VGFacts
The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Other Discussions (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri (/thread-3733.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - The Table Destroyer - 04-24-2017

I like to thank CLX (or whoever said that) for making fun of me being Australian. :)

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 04-24-2017

(04-23-2017, 08:53 PM)ZpaceJ0ck0 Wrote: Reddit will be ditching custom CSS as part of its desktop redesign

Judging by the responses on the original announcement thread and the like/dislike ratio, it seems nobody is happy about this (as expected). In fact, some people are already saying that this might cause Reddit's definitive demise.

Oh well... I guess I should migrate to Voat or Discord.

I mean, seriously, what kind of half-assed excuse is "CSS doesn't work on mobile"? I remenber using the desktop version of Reddit on a friend's smartphone and it worked just fine. The fact that it's not supported by the mobile version of the website or the shitty app it's a different matter.

Quote:CSS is a pain in the ass: it’s difficult to learn; it’s error-prone; and it’s time consuming.

Dude, you just described programming in general.

Quote:Some changes cause confusion (such as changing the subscription numbers).

.....Okay?

Quote:CSS causes us to move slow. We’d like to make changes more quickly. You’ve asked us to improve things, and one of the things that slows us down is the risk of breaking subreddit CSS (and third-party mod tools).
We’d like to make changes more quickly.

Given the history of changes you've made, perhaps it's a good thing that you're restricted by CSS on how fast you can make changes without completely destroying the website.

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - Psychospacecow - 04-24-2017

If nothing else, the reddit admins seem really careful in defending the overwatch subreddit's css. If all of Reddit looked like /r/overwatch, I wouldn't be complaining.

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 04-25-2017

(04-24-2017, 09:45 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: If all of Reddit looked like /r/overwatch, I wouldn't be complaining.

Why I'm not surprised by this?

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - Psychospacecow - 04-25-2017

because its genuinely one of the best css stylesheets on the site?

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 04-25-2017

(04-25-2017, 02:30 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: because its genuinely one of the best css stylesheets on the site?

When I said "Why I'm not surprised by this?" I was implying that the reason behind you how not neing bothered about the idea of Reddit as a whole looking like /r/overwatch was because you really like Overwacht. You know, kinda like this:

Quote:narutoxrasengan69: alright, let's assume that the next GTA game is going to take place outside of the U.S.A. Which country would you like to see as a setting for the game?

LeFrench_Crossaint: I want it to take place in France!

narutoxrasengan69: Why I'm not surprised by this?

But I'm guessing that either my joke was poorly executed or it was too subtle. Probably the former.

With that out of the way, yes, I agree that the css stylesheet of r/Overwatch is pretty good.

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - SERIOUSLY THOUGH - 04-25-2017

(04-25-2017, 02:46 PM)ZpaceJ0ck0 Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 02:30 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: because its genuinely one of the best css stylesheets on the site?

When I said "Why I'm not surprised by this?" I was refering to how you really like Overwatch and that would be the main reason behind you not neing bothered about... well, all of Reddit looking like /r/overwatch. You know, kinda like this:

Quote:ramdon anon: allright, let's assume that the next GTA game is going to take place outside of the U.S.A. Which country would you like to see as a setting for the game?

French anon: I want it to take place in France!

ramdon anon: Why I'm not surprised by this?

But other than that, I agree, the css stylesheet of r/Overwatch is pretty good.

It could happen in France, but you'd never be able to complete a mission because everyone would be on strike. We love to strike.

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - Psychospacecow - 04-26-2017

There's subreddit dedicated to all the people opposed to the new css removal announcement btw. /r/proCSS

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - The Table Destroyer - 05-04-2017

Is this real or fake?

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - SERIOUSLY THOUGH - 05-04-2017

Very important product recall from the Government of Canada :

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=-1&md&fy=0&ty=9999&ft&ls=0&sy=0&as=1&rn=2017242

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - Psychospacecow - 05-04-2017

I always knew Canada was part of The Empire.

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - retrolinkx - 05-08-2017

So for the past 8 months or so, while I've been living with friends for uni. I've had a second screen that I just never used. I didn't have a reason to use it, and it's just been laying in the wardrobe for months.

Today, after doing 8 hours or so of mind numbingly boring work. I thought "Man, I wish I could watch something and do work at the same time" and then I remembered the second screen.

I took it out, set it up, extended the displays and boom. Watching Seinfeld as I type. I can also shift it to my left slighty to watch stuff before bed. It's actually pretty decent.

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - Colossus - 05-08-2017

(05-08-2017, 04:38 AM)retrolinkx Wrote: So for the past 8 months or so, while I've been living with friends for uni. I've had a second screen that I just never used. I didn't have a reason to use it, and it's just been laying in the wardrobe for months.

Today, after doing 8 hours or so of mind numbingly boring work. I thought "Man, I wish I could watch something and do work at the same time" and then I remembered the second screen.

I took it out, set it up, extended the displays and boom. Watching Seinfeld as I type. I can also shift it to my left slighty to watch stuff before bed. It's actually pretty decent.

I have this girl that complains that I have more than one screen for my computer. She doesn't get that two (minimum) screens is the ideal way to have a desktop. I currently have 3 (two identical and 1 old 42" TV as a 3rd) and I mainly use the two screens on the bottom. The 3rd is just used when I need the extra screen space, when I am recording, or when I am showing someone something on my computer. I ALWAYS use the two bottom screens. One for working on, the other for videos or chat windows.

[Image: 8X2642X.jpg]

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - SERIOUSLY THOUGH - 05-08-2017

The finest desktop background !

RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 05-11-2017

So I found out that this so called 'Twitter alternative' called Gab is now out for beta testing with open registration. 

Yeah... no thanks. That site ins't just going to work, simply because instant social media in general is a mistake.

When you have a platform that not only allows, but ENCOURAGES reactive posts you'll always end up with the same bullshit that has already ruined twitter (because who wants to be commenter no 777 when you can be no 1, right?). The short message length, and the mindless habits it instills, doens't help either.

Screw any social media solution that hinders thoughtful discussion and favors the vapid.