Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 18 Guest(s)
The Super Smash Bros. 4 Discussion Thread
(06-17-2014, 12:49 PM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: Mario Kart characters have different stats. One character that can drift good is going to take turns better than one that can go really fast. Saying it really does not mater what racer you choose in Mario Kart would be like saying it does not matter what fighter you pick in Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, or Super Smash Bros. Picking Koopa over Mario in MK is just like picking Koopa over Mario in SSB.

But you can't compare genres. There are three variable factors that go into the racing genre. The Karts, Characters and Tracks. Super Smash Bros only needs the characters. They are the most important fundamental part of the game. Not only that but Mario Kart 8 has duplicate characters. The 3 best characters in Mario Kart 8 are Bowser, Wario and Morton. Morton is locked but the rest aren't. If you don't have Morton you can still perform exactly the same with Wario and Bowser. But if you don't have Mewtwo, well enjoy not playing Mewtwo. Every character in Smash Bros is different to the point that it can be a huge difference in tier list (see Fox/Falco(amazing) as opposed to Wolf(Average)). I agree with what you said in that Mario Karts weight classes do matter, because they honestly do. If you're not playing Wario, Bowser or Morton, then you're not playing to win. But in that games, weight classes have multiple characters so you can substitute one for another and still get the same results.

My point is that this genre of gaming doesn't need archaic untouchables. They're an integral part of the metagame and should be available right away. You can't compare the racing genre to fighting because of what is required to be played on a competitive level.

(06-17-2014, 01:54 PM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: Not that SSB4 is that, but I feel Nintendo still views it more that way.

I feel that's changed actually. Sakurai had a very shitty attitude towards Brawl which resulted in the game being pretty bad (Project M fixed that but only by so much). Once SSB4 was announced again, he was pretty shitty but over time he(and Nintendo) have shifted their attitude in favour of competitive gaming. As of last year we've seen 1) Nintendo fully embrace Melee being at EVO. Remember, they were going to stop Melee from being in EVO 2013s lineup. We've seen Sakurai 2) announce Final Destination settings for all stages and only as of last week, have an 3) invitational with some of the best players to demonstrate SSB4.
Melee 12 years on is still being streamed on Twitch and getting over 100 000 viewers. It's a big deal for competitive gaming.

(06-17-2014, 01:29 PM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: But, in any case, from the footage seen of Little Mac so far, does anyone else worry about him being OP? His back roll and ground game seem amazing, although his air game seems to leave a little to be desired.

I'm playing him because I think he's going to be a really damn good character. His technical aspect of building meter and getting an easy One Hit K.O is awesome as heck. Plus, from the footage I've seen, his damage output is pretty high. As someone who plays Ike, it'll be nice to go for someone with less power, more speed and has meter management.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Super Smash Bros. 4 Discussion Thread - by BumblebeeCody - 06-17-2014, 04:35 PM