Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's?
Okay I know nothing about Skyrim except for everything that people have told me. So I did some research. The book came out in 2007 and Skyrim in 2011. That's fine and okay. That is plenty of time to put the line in the game as a reference. What I have to question is the line itself. Why this line? It's not funny. It's not memorable. to my knowledge, it's not all that famous before Skyrim. So why quote it? We have games that reference Yoda at the final battle, describing a hat as being "bigger on the inside, and quotes from the bible all over the place. Looking at the sentance, it's nothing speacal besides telling the reader "I took an arrow in the knee" and moving on.

The reason the line "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee" is so popular is because it is an unusual "filler line." Filler lines are just there to have the NPC say something and immerse you into the game. Normally it's things like "Hi there, Adventurer" and "You better not start trouble." As for this line, it's said by almost every NPC in the game, that it is funny. Why do we have all these former adventurers with knee injorys? It "funny." That's why it's quoted. Think about it like this. What if only one person said it in the game? You went to the first town and some where in your quest, someone says "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee" and that's it. We would not pay any atacion to the quest giver and we would be on our way to find Notch's pickaxe and slay Mario the dragon.

This is also not one of those facts that have two ideas of where it comes from, like Luigi's name coming from "Mario and Luigi's Pizza" and a pun off of Ruiji. It has been proven that the line is an in-joke on how this is the first ES to not have Knee Armor, so you could you could take an arrow to the knee (Contributed by Hessian). The book may have the line but does it say anything else to make us think that it can go with this peace of trivia? Does he say that he gave up being a hero after this? Does he settel down after the arrow?

I bring up my point from my lasy post. Unless it said "I took an arrow to the knee on my way through the Eld three summers ago, as such I needed to end my career as an adventurer," I don't think it's a reference. You can have someone in BioShock Infinite say "I saw Zelda in the garden this morning" but it won't make it a reference to the Legend of Zelda.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - by gamemaster1991 - 08-17-2013, 11:30 AM