Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A Game you like where you don't like the player character
I'm playing through Far Cry 3 again, and it reminded me just how little I liked Jason Brody.

He's moody and complains a lot unless he's murdering people. He's the reason your friends are in danger. He's also way too easily excited, calm when he shouldn't be and he's annoying.

Have you played a game you liked but didn't liked the main character?
You accidentally a word.
I guess Samus in Other M. The game itself is fun as heck, but Samus really is a Japanese Anime Trope fest.

While I don't hate the protagonist, I never really connected to Yu in Persona 4. In the anime he's just as bland, lifeless and monotone in the Anime.
I never really liked Kratos. It's probably because I can't relate to him in any way. Marcus Fenix was just annoying and had no interesting features to him.
Ayumi Shinozaki during the final chapter of Corpse Party: Blood Covered ...Repeated Fear if you are treading towards the Bad Ending. She goes into a full bitch mode and is depressing to play as. That part of the game is the only thing I don't like about it. Still need to get the Good Ending to see if she'd be at least somewhat tolerable during that.

SPOILER! Here's the cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLsJrP1FDcA#t=5m56s

I couldn't play the game for a while after that because it meant playing as her.
(People, don't burn me) Final Fantasy VII with Cloud. I don't like Cloud. He's moody, doesn't claim to fight, hates fighting, blah blah blah... I guess his character does progress some, but it's extremely annoying in the beginning.
I personally didn't like playing as Sora in Kingdom hearts. While not moody, he did get annoying at times. KHII did improve a few things with him at first. But in the end. There are times where I'm wondering how the game would have been if it had Donald duck or Mickey Mouse as the star.
Most of the time I don't really care about the main character I'm playing as since they don't show enough personality. They're just kinda my tool to help me see more of the story and interact with the characters I do like.

I didn't like the game either, so I guess it doesn't count, but I almost couldn't take playing as Team Chaotix or Team Rose in Sonic Heroes. That's the only time where I had to stop playing because I just couldn't take the trio I was playing as. Except for Big the Cat; I still wuv him.
Silent Hill 1 & 2. With 1 Harry Mason is an awful father for bringing driving at night like he did, distracted and crashed his car. Bad Harry. I forgot 2's main character but over the course of the game, depending on how you play it you could have him be such a douchebag that you could almost just let the monsters kill him and you'd be okay with it.

It is actually times like this that I like games like Skyrim or any game that allows you to create your own character. You the player are the character and can have them be whatever you want. Want to be the hero, play the game as a hero. Want to be a villain, play a villain. I like it when the game lets you chose how to progress.

Oh, Snow and Hope from FF13 were annoying. At least Lighting you can understand why she is the way she is, but the others were either too stupid and naive (Snow) or too timid and whiny (Hope).
(05-29-2014, 07:26 AM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: (People, don't burn me) Final Fantasy VII with Cloud. I don't like Cloud. He's moody, doesn't claim to fight, hates fighting, blah blah blah... I guess his character does progress some, but it's extremely annoying in the beginning.

Oddly I like Cloud in VII. In VII he has a lot of character to him. He's a young mercenary with his friend Zack with a lot to look forward. At one point you even get to dress up as a female and infiltrate a "love nest". Shit's good.

Then Advent Children came out.
Also:
[Image: cloud-strife-then-and-now-56626.png]
(05-29-2014, 04:59 PM)GameWizard001 Wrote: Silent Hill 1 & 2. With 1 Harry Mason is an awful father for bringing driving at night like he did, distracted and crashed his car. Bad Harry. I forgot 2's main character but over the course of the game, depending on how you play it you could have him be such a douchebag that you could almost just let the monsters kill him and you'd be okay with it.

Why is Harry a bad dad? He was driving at night. So? Maybe he was coming home from a long trip (like from a hospital, the grandparent's house, the Ex-wife's house). He crashed the car, yes, but he was trying to avoid hitting a little girl. Now Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, there he's a bad dad if you played the whole game.

I also agree with James, who everyone likes over all others expt maybe Heather.
(05-29-2014, 05:46 PM)gamemaster1991 Wrote:
(05-29-2014, 04:59 PM)GameWizard001 Wrote: Silent Hill 1 & 2. With 1 Harry Mason is an awful father for bringing driving at night like he did, distracted and crashed his car. Bad Harry. I forgot 2's main character but over the course of the game, depending on how you play it you could have him be such a douchebag that you could almost just let the monsters kill him and you'd be okay with it.

Why is Harry a bad dad? He was driving at night. So? Maybe he was coming home from a long trip (like from a hospital, the grandparent's house, the Ex-wife's house). He crashed the car, yes, but he was trying to avoid hitting a little girl. Now Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, there he's a bad dad if you played the whole game.

I agree, though Harry being a good or a bad dad in Shattered Memories really depend on how you play it. Or well, at least how Cheryl remembers him at the end, that is.
Jack Marston in Red Dead Redemption.

Seriously, you can't just take away the main character after 20 hours of gameplay and put his son in control. It just doesn't feel right.
^That reminded me.

For a while I was unable to play as Trevor in GTAV after what he did to Johnny Klebitz. In fact, I was unable to play the whole game for a while after that. I liked Johnny. I ended up liking Trevor, too, though.
Actually Trevor and jason brody are the two people I dislike.