Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
VGFacts-Pokemon Showdown Tournament
VGFacts Pokemon Showdown Tournament!

Ladies and Gentlemen! Hello and welcome to the first VGFacts Pokemon Showdown Tournament!

Pokemon Showdown has been discussed in a thread here recently, and it has been decided that a tournament would be super-duper cool. The site allows you to set up Pokemon battles with a custom team and play with friends. With this tournament we will decide who is VGFacts' Pokemon master!

------------------------------

The format will be as follows.

-This will be a single elimination tournament. This means that you have to win your match to advance to the next tier.

-This will be a single battle tournament.

-On round of matches will be played every week. However this is subject to change should the number of trainers get too high for this to be viable.

-Trainers will use the same team for all matches. The teams will be posted here before the tournament begins.

-Trainers will be responsible for organising their own matches on the official Pokemon Showdown server. Once the match has been resolved both trainers should send me the result in a PM. The brackets can then be updated for the next week.

-Trainers should feel free to post the planned time of their battle in this thread so people can spectate if they wish to.

-If a trainer believes that his partner has cheated, he should send me a PM with evidence in the form of a screenshot of the offence. This will then be evaluated and, if necessary the cheater will be disqualified.

The tournament will be using a modified set of rules from the Pokémon VGC 2012. These are as follows.

-The following Pokémon are completely banned from use in the tournament: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groundon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Palkia, Giratina (all forms), Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin (all forms), Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem.

-No two Pokemon can have the same nickname.

-Pokemon cannot be nicknamed with the name of other Pokemon

-The player automatically loses if his last Pokémon uses Selfdestruct or Explosion. Destiny Bond and Perish Song also fail when used by the last Pokémon.

-Each Pokémon on a player's team must be of different species or National Pokédex number.

-Each Pokémon on a player's team must be holding different items.

-No Pokemon may be above level 50.

So for those who are interested, send me a PM with your full chosen team (Including Pokemon, moves known, and items) according to the above rules. The tournament will be mostly for fun, so don't be afraid to enter if you don't have any experience.

Good luck, and lets discover who can be the very best!
Count me in. I don't really know much about competitive Pokemon, but this is going to be fun. I'll get my team made later today and I'll pm you when it's all set up. Do you want just the pokemon in the team, or do you want us to include what items they're holding and what moves they know in the PM?
I'm in.
Count me in! I'm mucho interested.
(03-22-2013, 12:25 PM)Wardenclyffe Wrote: Count me in. I don't really know much about competitive Pokemon, but this is going to be fun. I'll get my team made later today and I'll pm you when it's all set up. Do you want just the pokemon in the team, or do you want us to include what items they're holding and what moves they know in the PM?

Post edited, I'll need your full team with all moves and items, as changing these mid tournament is cheating so people need something to compare to.
I will be part of it.
I'll join, and my team will wipe out ALL the people.

maybe
(03-22-2013, 12:17 PM)Flaglore Wrote: -Each Pokémon on a player's team must be holding different items.

why are these rules if we are using a simulator?
wouldn't it be easier to set them all to the default level of 100?

and I get that there are item clauses in game, but it seems kinda silly when no one actually plays with that rule in 6v6
I'm okay with this. None of my pokeymans are actually over level 50 at the moment so I should be fine.
(03-22-2013, 08:33 PM)Zac Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 12:17 PM)Flaglore Wrote: -Each Pokémon on a player's team must be holding different items.

why are these rules if we are using a simulator?
wouldn't it be easier to set them all to the default level of 100?

and I get that there are item clauses in game, but it seems kinda silly when no one actually plays with that rule in 6v6

Since this is my first tournament I have run, I decided to mostly copy the rules from the recent Pokemon VGC 2012. If this is a success and we run future tournaments then I may change the rules based on what happens this time.
Btw. Do you need to know the ability and/or nature of the pokemon in the PM?
(03-23-2013, 07:37 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: Btw. Do you need to know the ability and/or nature of the pokemon in the PM?

The ability yes, but the ev's or nature are of no concern.

I reckon 8 trainers is a good number, so once I get to that number I'll stop unless we get loads more people.
If the winner has a B/W era game, I can get them a pokerus mon.
(03-23-2013, 01:34 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: If the winner has a B/W era game, I can get them a pokerus mon.

Sounds excellent!

I have 4 trainers now, so ideally 4 more would be great!
I'm in, prepare to face my army of Furrets.