Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Optional things that WERE worth it
What's an extra, sidequest or completion bonus that actually felt worthwhile for you? 

Beating the secret levels in Super Mario World and turning the game into Halloween mode blew my god damn mind when I was a kid. I wish more games had this kind of bonus that transforms the entire world, haven't really seen it since.
After you beat Xenoverse, there's a hidden continuation of the story that unlocks Broly and Bardock. You have to get 7 time shard which is significantly easier than getting dragonballs in normal play, and the storyline of Bardock and Broly fighting is hilarious.
Restarting the first Harry Potter game on the Game Boy after you beat it. You essentially had God-tier spells from the get-go.
Collecting EVERY mask in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

It's required to obtain the Fierce Deity Mask, which makes defeating Majora child's play.
More importantly (I have collected all of them every time I've played through), it just adds more and more to the story. You get to defend Cremia's milk delivery from the Gorman brothers, frogs sing a song for you while you become Don Gero, Pamela gets to see her father become human again, Grog sees the chicks become cuccos, Kafei re-unites with Anju, you learn history about Termina, etc, etc.
It is so different from the other Zelda games and that's why it's the BEST EVERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes, I know I mentioned that in the Zelda thread. Yes, I will always mention that when I have a chance.)
All the story based side quests in Suikoden II. Getting the insight into all the characters you can have is amazing to see to play through and well worth the time it takes to do it.
Both Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3's bonus worlds. Both games are willing to give you an ending by just doing the normal levels, but they say that it could be better if you got all the Kremkoins/Blast Coins, you can unlock bonus levels to get to the True Final Boss, which feels good. If you get all the DK Coins in DKC2, Cranky even says something nice about you.
Also, Wario-Land II on the Game Boy.

You finish the game once ? Oh hey, turns out there are tons of other levels you didn't even know about and a couple other endings ! Such a good surprise.

[Image: WL2_Treasure_Map.png]
The Treasure of Jamaica Plains in Fallout 4 isn't particularly useful, but its really funny for Melee builds.
Getting the Paper Mario Trophy in the Home Run Contest via mastering the Captain Falcon drop bat+ kick down+pick up bat+Falcon Punch technique.
Remember how back in the day you used to get additional characters in fighting games by completing certain optional tasks instead of paying extra for them? I always thought that was worth it.
I actually prefer the format of having everything unlocked from the get go. Its such a pain to unlock it all, and it can be problematic for tournaments.
(10-06-2016, 11:51 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote: I actually prefer the format of having everything unlocked from the get go. Its such a pain to unlock it all, and it can be problematic for tournaments.

I wasn't even thinking from a tournament standpoint, but I don't see a problem for a game making you work to unlock new characters. Even when it was just 4 for the original Smash it was a lot of fun. 

I still remember exchanging info with friends and we flipped our shit when one of us finally figured out how to solve Yoshi's Break the Targets level to get Luigi to show up.
(10-06-2016, 12:14 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 11:51 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote: I actually prefer the format of having everything unlocked from the get go. Its such a pain to unlock it all, and it can be problematic for tournaments.

I wasn't even thinking from a tournament standpoint, but I don't see a problem for a game making you work to unlock new characters. Even when it was just 4 four the original Smash it was a lot of fun. 

I still remember exchanging info with friends and we flipped our shit when one of us finally figured out how to solve Yoshi's Break the Targets level to get Luigi to show up.

Playground rumours that you couldn't wait to try at home. Ah yiss.

I see the predicament for tournaments, but having everything unlocked at the getgo was never fun for me. Ofcourse there may be the few characters that you never play as because you can't unlock them (I can't remember if it was Ness or Captain Falcon that I never unlocked in N64 Smash, but it was too hard to beat the game really fast to unlock that fighter). However, for me, it was a great feeling to finally meet a condition to unlock that one character you had trouble getting (how I felt finishing the hard tournament in the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai to unlock Great Saiyaman as a kid..... even though I never used him).
(10-06-2016, 02:08 PM)gamemaster1991 Wrote:

I see the predicament for tournaments, but having everything unlocked at the getgo was never fun for me. Ofcourse there may be the few characters that you never play as because you can't unlock them (I can't remember if it was Ness or Captain Falcon that I never unlocked in N64 Smash, but it was too hard to beat the game really fast to unlock that fighter). However, for me, it was a great feeling to finally meet a condition to unlock that one character you had trouble getting (how I felt finishing the hard tournament in the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai to unlock Great Saiyaman as a kid..... even though I never used him).

With Ness you had to beat the game on normal with 3 stock and no continues.

The trick for Captain Falcon was to put the game on Very Easy and just plow through it. The only qualification for him was speed; difficulty didn't matter.

Ness was such a bitch, though! I was so confident I'd beat him when I sent him sailing and then witnessed his ability to blast himself back on the stage.