Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Weekly Debate Thread
I've had this idea for a while and figured I'd finally post it, the idea is to have a small debate on a different topic every week, just to get some open minded discussion flowing. Please try to keep it civil, and no name calling.

If you have an idea for the next debate, post it below your response.
Anyways, the first debate,
UNIVERSITY, YAY OR NAY?
I actually think this idea is an amazing idea, it will let people express themselves with their thoughts on things. As for Universities, I don't know much about this topic so I don't have an opinion on them. I think maybe gay marriage would be a good topic, but if that is too loaded then I guess the new generation of consoles.
Universities, if it works then great. If it doesn't what did you choose?
Wait. It's actually spelled "Yea" not "Yay." for Yea or Nay.

Anyways.. I uh. Meh. I'm going to a Community College right now for my Associates' in Speech. I do a lot of debate, actually, since it was a part of my major. I've won a few awards, too.
(05-24-2013, 12:56 AM)Newt Wrote: Wait. It's actually spelled "Yea" not "Yay." for Yea or Nay.

But... it doesn't rhyme.
(05-24-2013, 05:01 AM)The Antagonist Wrote:
(05-24-2013, 12:56 AM)Newt Wrote: Wait. It's actually spelled "Yea" not "Yay." for Yea or Nay.

But... it doesn't rhyme.

'Yea' is pronounced 'yay'. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW !?

I'm totally for Universities, though I think that they have become too widespread.
Everyone seems to have a degree of some sort nowadays, which means that having a degree isn't something special like it was 20 years ago.

If you have a diploma of excellence, that's special. But if everyone starts getting the same diploma, it's no longer special and everyone is back at square one. The government wanting everyone to have a degree has lowered its worth, and people are now pushed to doing Master's, PhD's or Doctorates to stand out in this competitive market.

University is the best place to learn independence. For most people, it's the first time that they live away from home, so they learn how to become autonomous and self-sufficient (with the odd cheque from mum and dad, of course). I loved my first year of university -- I met amazing people, learnt how to control my spending, discovered a few things, etc.

Word of advice for those going to university. Balance work and play from the very beginning. The first few weeks often dictate how your year's going to be. Start off by only partying ? You'll likely spend the year having fun and making excuses for your work. Spend your days in your room, studying, and you'll likely spend the year not being very social. Another very important point. If you've spent your secondary education sailing through due to your natural genius, get ready to learn how to actually study. You can't breeze through university if you want a good degree.

In conclusion - University good, but losing worth.
Unless you're super smart or have money to throw away, start at a community college. Then after at least 2 years, decide if you are ready/want to go to a university.
Please people, can we talk about actual debates, things that are going to affect us, prove we're smarter, and in general, relate to life more than "HURR UNIVERSETY YES NO"

We have to debate the real issues.

I think Universities are good to be honest, help you get better jobs, or so they say. I'm not sure myself, I'm only 17, and I can't really decide if it's good or bad, from what I hear, apart from the debt you'd be in, it's a good experience, helps you get a degree in something that can help you with life, and get that dream job. I guess.

Still, I'm going to go if I can. Sure, I'll be in debt, but I think if I can play my cards right, I could be in a decent job after the recession is over by 2018 or so (hopefully)
(05-24-2013, 08:04 AM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote: Unless you're super smart or have money to throw away, start at a community college. Then after at least 2 years, decide if you are ready/want to go to a university.

Oh man, this so hard. Take two years to figure out what you want from life before jumping into a degree program. I'm all for Universities, but I personally feel you need some time and experience before going to one. And no, high school does not count as experience.
I would 100% completely advise everyone to NOT go to Uni. I've done great in education and made the most of what I have, enough to get into Computer Science for University, and it hasn't been worth it. The Uni is top notch and so are the tutors, but the course itselfs it's so far from what I wanted(and I'm a second year). The problem being that I haven't taken away much. I learned how to program before I even considered Uni and have been working on projects for years. I enjoyed FoC(Foundations of Computations) and CSA (Computer Systems Architecture) but there is so much you can learn by yourself outside of University that it's not necessary to get a degree in order to get to your future career. I've had plenty of first hand experience by talking to companies myself than spending 3 years in a lab hoping that it'll all pay off meaning, that "experience" from Uni is a part of the course you have to pay for when there's nothing from stopping you creating your own portfolio and talking to companies.

The problem with degrees now is that the economy doesn't call for them. I know plenty of people who have computer science degrees that haven't given them anything in return(even big people like TotalBiscuit and SpoonyOne) along with personal friends or stories from other people. This goes for other degrees like maths/chemistry etc (no-bullshit degrees like Bible Studies, Art or.....bartending(no joke)).

For anyone younger than me who wants to go to Uni and live in the U.K, then I would say 100% don't. The main point being that the fees for Uni are bullshit/robbery. I was the last year to go to Uni in which the course was up £9000 for the 3 years. Now it's up to £9000 per year which isn't worth it. If I were to wait 1 year then go to Uni, my course fees would've risen by over 50% of the previous year which is bullshit. Even for those who have finished University, they now have jobs but never have any money to do what they want. I would never recommend Uni at this point, especially if you're younger than me(/considering going to Uni after 2012). At the end of the day, you're going to get a degree in whatever but still have nothing from it. If you're still interested then do one year and if you don't like it, quit as quickly as you can and start your own projects.
Personally, I didn't got to university. However, I don't think that traditional education in any form worked for me - but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone. I think that it's a decision that should be made by knowing yourself, and knowing your ideal market. I never wanted to work in a traditional position as a bank manager, or some shit like that. I've always wanted to be a self-employed, work from home webmaster. As such, it's been that I worked on such a field from the ripe old age of 7 years old.

It's a tough choice, and not one that anyone can make for somebody. I think that we struggle in the UK with schools basically telling us that if you don't do well at school, you will fail at life. They also rarely tell us our actual options, for some bizarre fucked up reason, and try to convince you that your school knows best. And they tend to have connections with other schools, and it's generally conceived that not going to university is a bad option. When it isn't, it's just another option.

For the record, all of my old school friends are at university. Half of them regret the decision, half of them don't, but they universally all agree that it's a life experience that they will never forget, and it has given them the opportunity of self-exploration, being amongst like-minded people for so many years. I went traveling around the world and came back with no debt, and found myself far more than I think I ever would being surrounded by nerdy dude who want to run websites for other people one day in the future. Not that everyone would be nerdy or anything, or that there's anything wrong with it, but in order to stand out and learn something, I feel you need to break the mold.

Saying that, I feel I've also missed out on the connections my friends make at university. I have a hard time making new friends because by it's nature, what I do is very lonely. I don't need to leave the house, or work with other people besides online over Skype. My friends where I live now, Peterborough, are only my friends because I have a dog and walk it every morning, or because my fiancé worked at a bookstore and she invited a bunch of them back to our place for pizza.

It's a tough choice, and not black and white.
(05-26-2013, 03:36 AM)Dazz Wrote: Personally, I didn't got to university. However, I don't think that traditional education in any form worked for me - but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone. I think that it's a decision that should be made by knowing yourself, and knowing your ideal market. I never wanted to work in a traditional position as a bank manager, or some shit like that. I've always wanted to be a self-employed, work from home webmaster. As such, it's been that I worked on such a field from the ripe old age of 7 years old.

It's a tough choice, and not one that anyone can make for somebody. I think that we struggle in the UK with schools basically telling us that if you don't do well at school, you will fail at life. They also rarely tell us our actual options, for some bizarre fucked up reason, and try to convince you that your school knows best. And they tend to have connections with other schools, and it's generally conceived that not going to university is a bad option. When it isn't, it's just another option.

For the record, all of my old school friends are at university. Half of them regret the decision, half of them don't, but they universally all agree that it's a life experience that they will never forget, and it has given them the opportunity of self-exploration, being amongst like-minded people for so many years. I went traveling around the world and came back with no debt, and found myself far more than I think I ever would being surrounded by nerdy dude who want to run websites for other people one day in the future. Not that everyone would be nerdy or anything, or that there's anything wrong with it, but in order to stand out and learn something, I feel you need to break the mold.

Saying that, I feel I've also missed out on the connections my friends make at university. I have a hard time making new friends because by it's nature, what I do is very lonely. I don't need to leave the house, or work with other people besides online over Skype. My friends where I live now, Peterborough, are only my friends because I have a dog and walk it every morning, or because my fiancé worked at a bookstore and she invited a bunch of them back to our place for pizza.

@Bold:
Pretty much this. Schools put a lo of emphasis on how important education is, and yes it's true, but once you finish GCSEs (with C's and above) you're pretty much set. It only comes down to your pursuing what you want rather than staying in education with a crap ton of debt hoping it'll pay off. There is nothing to stop you from making game, programming software, writing stories, creating music etc only when people tell you that it's necessary. If you have the motivation to push yourself into what you want, you'll succeed. Not only that and as bullshit as it sounds, it's possible to be over qualified for a job.

However I wouldn't agree with the point that 'it's a tough choice'. If you're interested, pass A levels/college so you have the option to go to Uni available to you, try it for a year and if you don't like it, quit and start your own personal work/projects and get into the industry by putting yourself out there.
(05-26-2013, 08:36 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:
(05-26-2013, 03:36 AM)Dazz Wrote: Personally, I didn't got to university. However, I don't think that traditional education in any form worked for me - but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone. I think that it's a decision that should be made by knowing yourself, and knowing your ideal market. I never wanted to work in a traditional position as a bank manager, or some shit like that. I've always wanted to be a self-employed, work from home webmaster. As such, it's been that I worked on such a field from the ripe old age of 7 years old.

@Bold:
Pretty much this. Schools put a lo of emphasis on how important education is, and yes it's true, but once you finish GCSEs (with C's and above) you're pretty much set. It only comes down to your pursuing what you want rather than staying in education with a crap ton of debt hoping it'll pay off. There is nothing to stop you from making game, programming software, writing stories, creating music etc only when people tell you that it's necessary. If you have the motivation to push yourself into what you want, you'll succeed. Not only that and as bullshit as it sounds, it's possible to be over qualified for a job.

However I wouldn't agree with the point that 'it's a tough choice'. If you're interested, pass A levels/college so you have the option to go to Uni available to you, try it for a year and if you don't like it, quit and start your own personal work/projects and get into the industry by putting yourself out there.

My mother was actually over qualified for a job once, my mind was blown when she told me that.
Ok, it's been way over a week and I'm lazy, nice discussion on that last one guys.
Next Debate

ALIENS, REAL OR NO?
I think it is redundant to think that there isn't other life somewhere else in the universe, because we are obviously living beings in the universe so why wouldn't there be life somewhere else in the universe. So yes I think they are real. Whether they are what we depict as "aliens" or maybe just normal looking is a different story.