Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
That one game you tried to like but couldn't.
(04-18-2014, 12:19 PM)RepentantSky Wrote: I like how I got completely ignored because someone mentioned not liking starfox. Rather than saying the same thing twice, I will ask, what is the draw of western RPG's? I can't think of any of them I want to spend any more time on than I already have.

Its all preference, I suppose. I liked Morrowind, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so on, so forth.

I also liked Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Legends of Dragoon, Final Fantasy 9,10 and 12, Dragon Quest 8-9, The Fire Emblem series, Pokemon, so on, so forth.

The thing is, they're both very different experiences.

Western games are often far more involved with a lot of choice to the player, even if it follows one given path, the choices you make reflect the ending.

A lot of Japanese rpgs typically are like books, and that's not a bad thing, but its not what people are looking for as often anymore. They're often very good at conveying a story, though the middle has to hold or it will be forgotten. In a Japanese RPG, you are not experiencing the choices that you can make, you're experiencing the choices the author has made. It leads to a less involved experience, which can be a lot more relaxing.

I see the merit in both and can safely say they're both great, but I understand why people would hold a preference in that regard.

Messages In This Thread
RE: That one game you tried to like but couldn't. - by Psychospacecow - 04-18-2014, 01:47 PM